MCG capacity set at 72,000 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG capacity set at 72,000

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
12:08:38 PM Thu 13 February, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

The official capacity of the MCG will be 72,000 for the 2003 home and away season with the Melbourne Cricket Club urging fans to ensure they pre-book reserved seats for all big games this season.

However it is expected that capacity for the grand final will rise to 80,000 as part of the new stand will be completed in time for the last Saturday in September.

As a result of the demolition of the Ponsford Stand, those MCC members’ seats which were located in the Ponsford Stand will now be in the Olympic Stand while the top corner of the AFL members’ section in the Great Southern Stand – section Q – will now become public seats if demand requires.

With Reduced capacity there will be approximately 19,000 spaces for both AFL and MCC members and about 34,000 spaces for the general public.

But the number of general public seats available for each game will further reduce considering that MCC tenant clubs such as Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn have already sold thousands of yearly reserved seats for their home matches to season ticket holders.

The MCC says as a result of the decreased capacity this season “the demand on reserved seats is expected to increase and it is recommended that fans pre-book tickets for all big games.”

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
But the number of general public seats available for each game will further reduce considering that MCC tenant clubs such as Richmond .... have already sold thousands of yearly reserved seats for their home matches to season ticket holders.

Does this mean the club has sold more reserved seating type memberships this year than usual? A nice little bonus to the club's coffers if that's so :).

Speaking of memberships, does anyone have an update on our latest membership tally?

A

admin

The reserved seating number could be a slight exaggeration in Richmond's case.
We've only got just on 12,000 members which is very disappointing but hardly surprising to me.
The club expect (hope?) numbers will pick up soon. They have just sent out reminders and are about to start on a phone campaign ringing people who haven't renewed yet.
Somehow I pity the people who ring and try the hard sell, I reckon they'll cop a bit of a spray from some "supporters" who haven't quite got over last years dismal effort.
Go Tiges.