MCG staffing issues in hospitality | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG staffing issues in hospitality

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So operating a cash register or pouting beers should be earning you what at the footy Ian? $60/hour?

And should they be paid 8 hours despite not working it?

And how do you have full time staff when you can’t offer full time hours?

Some seriously deluded thinking on this.

If I was a young guy getting $40/hour for working 4-5 hours at the footy operating a cash register id be over the moon.

Can’t wait until foreign students and travelling workers are back and we get some competition for jobs. I bet every business in hospitality can’t wait either.

Remember when the AFL Chairman (Ron Evans) also ran the catering rights to AFL grounds with his company spotless? What a scam that was.

Anyway, Delaware North now runs the MCG catering rights. They have 7,800 employees in Australia, and they are based in Melbourne. So don’t tell me they can’t put on extra staff… many of which are probably part time/casual, many of which would probably like more hours.

And if their staff don’t want the gig, offer better incentives. Someone earlier suggested MCG catering staff get paid $30 per hour. Imagine working 4 hours on a weekend and probably not taking home $100 after tax? Who would sacrifice their leisure time to do that? The reason why we pay people extra on weekends and public holidays is to reward them for the sacrifice they make for working such hours.

You mentioned $60 per hour. Well in my industry we get 1.5 penalties on a Saturday and 2.0 on a Sunday. Which means $60 per hour on a Sunday in this circumstance. But they don’t in the hospitality industry. And that’s the problem.

Deluded thinking my arse. Supply and demand mate. Supply and demand.

Can’t wait until foreign students and travelling workers are back and we get some competition for jobs. I bet every business in hospitality can’t wait either.

Let me rephrase this for you...

"Can’t wait until foreign students and travelling workers are back so we can exploit foreign workers and domestic workers. I bet every business in hospitality can’t wait either."

As I have said previously, what is happening in hospitality atm is a long overdue correction of pay and entitlements

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Does anyone know exactly how much these workers really get paid, I've seen a lot of speculation & guess work but no one has supplied a definite figure.
In other areas of the hospitality industry I know that the pay can be anything from $10-$12/ hr up to $25-$30/hr.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I used to get $10 an hour working at a petrol station as a student - that was 1987. If they are paying those sorts of rates now I'm not surprised they get few takers.

In any case, if they can't attract employees at the current rate of pay then they need to offer more. It's not as if they weren't raking in massive amounts of sales at the footy. They over-price everything and under-pay, nice.

So we want overseas students and back-packers here so we can keep wages down, all in a time when prices are going up. Also at a time when the profit share of total income is very high. They refuse to pay higher rates of pay, even though they would still make a profit, and would rather close outlets than set the precedent of paying more, just so they can keep wages down. Do people still wonder why capitalism attracts criticism?

DS

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I used to get $10 an hour working at a petrol station as a student - that was 1987. If they are paying those sorts of rates now I'm not surprised they get few takers.

In any case, if they can't attract employees at the current rate of pay then they need to offer more. It's not as if they weren't raking in massive amounts of sales at the footy. They over-price everything and under-pay, nice.

So we want overseas students and back-packers here so we can keep wages down, all in a time when prices are going up. Also at a time when the profit share of total income is very high. They refuse to pay higher rates of pay, even though they would still make a profit, and would rather close outlets than set the precedent of paying more, just so they can keep wages down. Do people still wonder why capitalism attracts criticism?

DS

How often have we heard the terms "maximising profits" & " increasing shareholders dividends" all aimed at cutting costs, which includes of course keeping salaries/wages, manufacturing, logistics costs etc as low as possible.
This has been the mantra for many years. One of the results has been the affect of real wage growth being stifled, whilst profits & executive salaries have increased markedly.
The current situation with China being the major manufacturing centre of the world is a result of this cost cutting.

We all know that businesses must make a profit, that shouldn't be the " be all & end all" of a businesses existence. I've worked at quite a few different companies & found that the ones that looked after their staff more equitably & treated people (including staff, customers/clients etc) still made good profits. I also found that the staff would "go the extra mile" to help because they were happy in their working environment.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
When the industry is full of people like Chris Lucas - who blatantly rips his own staff off with impunity - no wonder nobody wants to work in the industry.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I think I read that Delaware employ staff as permanents not casuals like the previous caterers. For better or worse permanents forgo the loading that casuals receivce in any industry. And in these tight labour.matkets maybe those in hospitality would prefer the casual jobs away from the G with the larger pay packet?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not just the staffing either. A few weeks ago I was in a food outlet as they brought out pizza after pizza of the same type that had been sitting under the bai marie for ages. This week they said they only had Margaritas.

I thought catering companies were, you know, able to organise catering. Then again, I also thought ticketing companies . . .

DS

Reactions: 1 user