Membership crisis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Membership crisis

P

PuntRoadRoar

AFL
Fickle, bandwagon-jumping Richmond fan cancels membership
by STAFF REPORTERS

An Elsternwick man has cancelled his Richmond membership, citing outrage after a leaked club memo last week suggested Tiger fans might be seen as 'fickle' or 'bandwagon jumping'.

Carl Renny, 32, announced his decision immediately after the leak was published. "I was furious," he told the Bladder. "First the club loses eight games on the trot, then they come out and tell club staff not to use certain terms when referring to the supporter base, as if these terms in fact reflect reality. It was the last straw, really, if also the first straw."

Renny said he had been a loyal Tiger supporter for eight years, on and off, ever since the Tigers broke through to finish third in 1995.

"Fickle? I'll show them fickle," he said, cutting his membership card in half before taking down his 'Tigers forever' wall hanging. "I've stuck with this club through thick and… thick. I even went to a lot of the games early in the season. Not the away games, obviously, but I went to a few of the home games. Not against Sydney, though, because I didn’t think we had much chance."

Renny suggested if that was how Richmond viewed its supporters, he would go and support another team, as he often did anyway at this time of year. He said he had been thinking about switching his allegiances to Collingwood, which knew how to treat its fans with the respect they deserved, and coincidentally looked likely to play in this year's finals.

http://www.thebladder.com.au/content/news/displayContent.asp?CID=2192&EID=215