Memo to the RFC | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Memo to the RFC

A

admin

5 weeks to go.....I think I'll avoid the official RFC site in that time.
I know the sites look pretty neglected if there are no articles on them.
I know we talk a lot of rot on here at times waiting for footy season to come too.
I know we hang out for every word about our beloved Tiges.....

but somehow at the moment they seem pointless.

I don't want to read a dozen articles from the club on how good Otto is going to be. I want to actually see it on the track.

I don't want to know Pettifer is starring at training. I'd prefer he starred in a game.

Somehow if the club gives an official wrap the footy world expects to see it translate as reality in a game.

I hope the boys " have a lot of pride" as Danny told me last night.

I want to see that in the way they play, not as a veiled threat that they'll make it up again.

I want to have pride in my club too.

5 weeks to do whatever you have to do. Good luck. I have a bet with a Colliwobble supporter, and I don't want to lose it, ha. ;D

Go Tiges....

InTheOuter

Waaasssaaaapp
Feb 3, 2003
Northcote
Well said.
I'd like to add a thankyou for the ticket you guys sent yesterday. But didn't you promise last year if we rolled up to watch, you guys will roll up to play. :eek:

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Does that mean your starting a boycott of the official RFC website, Rosy?

If so, count me in. ;D

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
What would you prefer, Rosy, we have no members at all? Would you expect them to come out and say they've not improved at all - and why don't we just play for the draft picks now.

Bloody wizzfizz cup and it's all doom and gloom. Who wants the team to peak at the first game of a summer season? Not me. I want 'em firing at the end of the season.

Still, i get your drift, losing like that is very demoralising to all.

A

admin

What would you prefer, Rosy, we have no members at all?  Would you expect them to come out and say they've not improved at all - and why don't we just play for the draft picks now.  
What a load of crap, I don't see that as an option to what I posted!

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
You posted the crap - i just read it.

If you're that demoralised with what's happening down at the club after one game - and that is the impression that comes across - you are in for a long year.

If you're not proud of your club - go and support someone else. By saying you want to have pride - to me says you have none at all.

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Who's fighting - some people just don't like what i say - lots of people for that matter - i care the least. I just say it how i see it.

Anyone who goes and reads an official site of a club that's in the business of trying to attract membership is going to get the best in spindoctorship. If you believe half the crap they write - more fool you.

After one game, all the bleeding hearts have come out and predicted the absolute worst. Watch 'em come of the woodwork and say how wonderful we are when we win a game.

Exactly Gustiger, it has been only one game (an abysmal one at that) but give me a break, hardly time to slash the wrists.

A

admin

If you're not proud of your club - go and support someone else.  By saying you want to have pride - to me says you have none at all.

Froars, I'd ignore this except you are a bit out of line offering me advice I think.

I don't think you needed to take the post quite so seriously.

Last year it was you who posted how you had no enthusiasm for Richmond and you'd only been to 5 games by round 13 and left 2 early.
You posted you didn't even keep track of scores or who we were playing Richmond disappointed you that much.
You talked about going out with the possums rather than watch the games.

You let the world know how bad you thought Richmond were.

That team that you gave up on wasn't playing well for various reasons, but I'd never give up on them like that.

I guess my post meant I would prefer to see that we had improved on the field since then, rather than read it when it's not backed up. (It was a bit tongue in cheek just the same)
There were quite a lot of articles about Otto for eg. A few of us commented at the time about it.

Sadly our game Fri night looked very similar to the team you lost interest in last year.

I'm sure we'll improve.....wouldn't take much, ha.

We can only discuss the games as we see them. Of course we'll be thinking it's wonderful after a win.

If we lose though, most of us will stick with them and I am one of those. Are you this year?

Skeeta

TigersRule
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Hey Froars, Rosy changing her teams is like me being a woman...brb, will just check.........Nope, im hanging so Rosies still and always will be a TIGER through and through....GO TIGERS. :D

Tassie27

Come and give me a kiss!!
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
My humble twist on the whole preseason thing is, "The better we do in the preseason competition the worse we do in the home and away season."

"After Friday night's performance this year we are going to be premiers!"

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Somehow if the club gives an official wrap the footy world expects to see it translate as reality in a  game.

Maybe if the Club was a bit more realistic in what it tells us we wouldn't have reason to be as disappointed as we are after each loss. And maybe if they were just realistic, we'd improve a lot quicker too.

I watched a replay of last Friday night's game. Danny was interviewed at either half or three quarter time. Can't remember which now. Anyway, he said that the players went back into their shell. I'd like to know at which point in time the players have ever come out of their shell in the time he has been here. Maybe I've still got it on tape. ???

We've had enough "reality checks" over the years to last several life times, but we keep living in this dillusional world where our players are apparently getting the best out of themselves? If we've got anywhere near our best at some stage, then I missed it. And we are in more trouble than I thought if we actually believe that the players are getting anything like the best out of themselves. Is it any wonder we never improve if we don't think we need to. :mad:

To see how much we need to improve, watch some of the games Brisbane played in last season. If we ever get anywhere near playing like that then I'm sure I'll notice.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
My humble twist on the whole preseason thing is, "The better we do in the preseason competition the worse we do in the home and away season."

"After Friday night's performance this year we are going to be premiers!"

;D ;D ;D ;D
You may be onto something Tassie. In 1980 we got thrashed in every practice game and ended up winning the flag ;) ;) ;)

I think we should all run with this program :D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
If we've got anywhere near our best at some stage, then I missed it.  

Where were you in 2001 MC?

That was our "best". Actually for some of our players it was probably way above their best.

I am not disputing there must be improvement. I am a member who was so close to walking away after the disaster that was 2002. But there have been improvements made and I am coimmitted to being part of the long term success at Richmond.

We lost a glorified practice game and if I am given a choice between loosing to the Dees in Feb and beating the Pies in round 1 or beating the Dees in Feb then getting our b*ms kicked in Rd 1 by the Pies - I'd choose the 1st option in a second.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Where were you in 2001 MC?

All MCG games - I was in H2 in the Northern Stand, except the Brisbane game
Colonial Stadium - Aisle 35 home games and wherever for away games
Sleepy Hollow - Reg Hickey Stand
Interstate games - in my lounge room, except for the game against Freo.

I think I can safely say I saw what happened.

That was our "best". Actually for some of our players it was probably way above their best.

Koalalill, if you are happy thinking that 2001 was the best for some of our players, I can't and won't try to convince you otherwise.

For me, I thought we won our games the hard way.  The point I was trying to make was that if you compare any of our wins to those of say a Brisbane, then we are no where near close to being a good team.  If we can win games with a negative style of game, why is it not also possible in a more attacking or positive style and frame of mind?

But there have been improvements made and I am coimmitted to being part of the long term success at Richmond.

I understand all that Koalalill and I am too and have been for a long time now.

We lost a glorified practice game and if I am given a choice between loosing to the Dees in Feb and beating the Pies in round 1 or beating the Dees in Feb then getting our b*ms kicked in Rd 1 by the Pies - I'd choose the 1st option in a second.

I agree with you Koalalill.  I don't understand.  I think you're assuming that I'm making all these statements because we lost a practice game.  I wasn't concerned with the result or even the score line, but I was disappointed to see that players still had some of their "old" habits after the Club had said we were going to re-invent ourselves.  You know, the three RRR's.

Perhaps I just didn't convey what I was trying to say clearly enough.  I've been a member/supporter for a long time now and I'm certainly not about to jump ship or anything like that, just because of a practice game.  If I was going to I would have done it about ten years ago.  It's way too late now.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Koalalill, if you are happy thinking that 2001 was the best for some of our players

Happy? not exactly the word I would use but I think some of our players played above themselves in 2001. We made the 8 and finished 3rd. The result was better than I believe alot of people would have anticipated. And I am not sure if some of the players have anymore improvement in them.

The point I was trying to make was that if you compare any of our wins to those of say a Brisbane, then we are no where near close to being a good team.  

Agreed  when comparing us to Brisbane ;)

I wasn't concerned with the result or even the score line, but I was disappointed to see that players still had some of their "old" habits after the Club had said we were going to re-invent ourselves.  You know, the three RRR's.

Perhaps I just didn't convey what I was trying to say clearly enough.  I've been a member/supporter for a long time now and I'm certainly not about to jump ship or anything like that, just because of a practice game.  If I was going to I would have done it about ten years ago.  It's way too late now.

MC24 - yeap -  you are right I did take what you wrote as simply being angry with the result. A lot of people on this forum are posting as if last Friday is the end of the season. Personally I don't take the Wizzer Cup seriously and after friday I don't think the Club did either. ;)

I am just waiting to see where we are after a few proper games before I start talking doom & gloom (or think about microwaving my membership card) ;D

A

admin

I think some of our players played above themselves in 2001. We made the 8 and finished 3rd. The result was better than I believe alot of people would have anticipated. And I am not sure if some of the players have anymore improvement in them.

I think our 2001 results flattered us slightly, and I shudder when the club says what a great season it was.
Third is a great result, but we didn't get there by playing like an elite team imo.
I think we got that far riding on the back of a very good backline.
Those guys mightn't improve a heap, they gave their all, but there should be plenty of room for across the board improvement from a lot of our players that year.
We let other teams get away to big leads from the start then had to play catch up footy.
We gave supporters grey hair by having a good lead then lying down and letting teams over run us towards the siren.
We were found to be way off the pace in the finals in 2001.
IMO to win a premiership we need a game plan that consists of more than "let the backline save it for us," and we need players who ensure our backline doesn't see near as much of the ball as it did in 2001.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
We made the 8 and finished 3rd. The result was better than I believe alot of people would have anticipated.

I was expecting us in 2001 to finish at least 6th and top 4 wouldn't and eventually didn't suprise me. Year 2000 was spoiled after a great middle period by injuries to so many players it wasn't funny yet we we're still able to play some very good footy until those injuries caught up with us. So to me at that time 2001 was just an extension of 2000 with a relatively good run injury wise. That said the gulf between Brisbane, Essendon and the rest was so great none of the other 14 sides were in the hunt. I would say those two sides plus Port were better than us (and by quite a bit as well) while we were better than the rest. So 3rd-4th was a true reflection of where we were at in terms of ladder position but unfortunately was very misleading and flattering in terms of where we were at in terms of competing with the (other) top sides and winning a flag.

IMHO most sides in the AFL are fairly even yet mediorce except for a few and as we saw with Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Melbourne last year sides can fall and rise within the space of year so you never discount your chances or can rest on your laurels. The final ladder for most sides comes down to the draw and who was better on the day. So with a full complement of players, a bit of belief and tinkering with our game plan (spotting up free and hard running teammates or at least 1-on-1 contests within the forward 50 instead of blindly bombing high and long to a tripled team Richo) I'm expecting us to rise up the ladder and I don't believe a top 4 position is unrealistic this year. I don't believe there are 4 sides or more that are simply so much better than the list of players we have at tigerland.