Michael Green | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Michael Green

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006
Planning underway for the first Tigers@Law function for 2013.

Will be a ripper ;-)

Lawyers out there should consider joining.

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
Phantom said:
2. 1974 Grand Final - Sheedy's free handball to an open Green in the goal square, for a game lifting goal.

I recall getting nervous when Doug Wade bombed one from the boundary line a fair way out and North getting a goal or so up, but enter R Hart and K Sheedy (amoungst others). Sheedy's play you refer to showed his thinking was ahead of his time. Little wonder he went on to become one of the greatest coaches the game has seen.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
tiger12 said:
I recall getting nervous when Doug Wade bombed one from the boundary line a fair way out and North getting a goal or so up, but enter R Hart and K Sheedy (amoungst others). Sheedy's play you refer to showed his thinking was ahead of his time. Little wonder he went on to become one of the greatest coaches the game has seen.

Yes, I was / still am a great Sheedy fan.
Circumstances always seemed to be against Sheedy being coach.

1979 - Jewell becomes Richmond coach.
1980 - Richmond win premiership. Sheedy takes Essendon job.
1981 - Jewell sacked. Bourke becomes Richmond coach.

Even then circumstances appeared to conspire.
It shows little forethought in the planning of the coaching role.

Even with the premiership in 1980, there seems apparent some destructive forces already at work within Richmond, even then.

The Cartledge recount, The Hafey Years, clearly indicates that the destructive force was active from the time of Hafey's demise, through to when the club was effectively broken by the mid-80s.
And, who the two members of that force were.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
He now runs Tigers at Law, which is a really good support/fan group, always with interesting speakers.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I only watched it last night

Anyway it was another Open Mike (Sheehan) interview on Foxtel and his guest was Mike Green - a true Tiger legend.
The program must be pretty recent as it was dated 2020 and discussed his grandson Tom at GWS (and the tragic death of another grandson in the US)
But the main focus was on his Richmond career including 4 flags (despite sitting out the entire 67 GF on the bench), retiring at age 23 but then returning to play his last 2 flags, his dominance in the 69 finals series, discussing teammates and opposition players, and also his involvement in the club during the early stages of the sad and sorry 37 years.

Great interview and a great man

Reactions: 3 users