Mid season draft. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season draft.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Don't recall when, we have a spot with Rance out all season, when asked about it earliuer in the yr Dimma said it's unlikely we'll use a pick but that'd depend on things go between now & then

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
I tried google

Wiki said

For the first time since 1993, there will be a mid season draft.[1] This will occur after Round 10 of the 2019 AFL season, on May 27th[2]. The draft will only be open to clubs with inactive players on their list and vacancies available, such as long term injuries or retirement. Players recruited during the mid-season draft will earn a contract for the remainder of the season, though they will have the option of negotiating terms for an extension at any period throughout the year.[2]

Don’t know how long it takes a guy who didn’t get drafted to get into the senior side.
Fitness, strength, skills and knowledge of the game plan are factors.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Without knowing our financial placement in regards to signing mid term, with Rance off the list we are in a good position to pick a ripe plum should we choose to. Mmm delicious.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Pretty sure a team cannot draft a player previously delisted from their own squad.

Also players must have nominated for the last draft or been on an AFL list previously.

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
If we can afford it, seems like a free hit then to sign the next Tim Kelly.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
There’s a report on shhh.com about the 50 most likely replacements in this draft and our man mcjeebus gets a mention.
Kicked9 in the SAFL recently and took a year off to go back packing.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
This bloke looks interesting- a free hit if we recon he’ll be drafted next year

Mitch Riordan – Dandenong (TAC Cup)
19yo, 187cm, 82kg
Speedy onballer has returned as an over-age player after testing at last year's State Combine despite a year ravaged by injury.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
fastin bulbous said:
Any ideas junior / state league watchers? This pick could be crucial to our chances this year.

I thought there was an article in the Sun a couple of weeks ago saying that we wouldn't have a pick as Rance wasn't going on the LTI list

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
French Tiger said:
I thought there was an article in the Sun a couple of weeks ago saying that we wouldn't have a pick as Rance wasn't going on the LTI list

Yes, in effect, but to be precise: we could have a pick if we wanted to replace Rance. But we are not going to exercise it as, it's a long shot, but just a remote chance Alex will get back early. There was a whole article about it in the HUN I think.

We wouldn't want to make finals; find Alex makes a super-fast recovery/return but ... not being allowed to select him!

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
I think we should take a pick and put rance on the injury list.

If he is fit we just put someone else on the list at the end of the year , clubs do it all the time .

That way we have our cake and eat it

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Apparently some players that clubs are keen on for the mid-year draft are ineligible, because the AFL's rules say eligible players must have nominated for last year's national draft. The AFL is reviewing the rules and may grant "special exemptions" according to a (paywalled) HS article that's just gone up.

“No other sport in the world operates like this,” one club figure said.

“Rules on the run … again.”

Football boss Steve Hocking has told disgruntled player managers he will look into the “anomaly”.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/midseason-draft-prospects-could-have-their-afl-dreams-dashed-because-of-eligibility-rules/news-story/06a4adfe787370fb7cf586d894aa1fde