Mid season draft. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season draft.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
jokershoppe said:
None of us had ross on our radar and some thought he was a missed opportunity ,but our recruiters proved hes a gem,our long term inside mid with size,so who knows what will come from our pick,a more experienced skilled mid type or a young player capable of playing this year wouldnt surprise me,our recruiters have killed it last few years,to the point that many judges rate the tigers the best young players in the afl,exciting that we have built up so many capable youngsters while challenging for a flag.
Very good point there. 1/3 of our team (18 playing on field) have under 30 games and are under 21.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Surprise surprise salty Scott doesn’t like the mid-season draft and guess what? The cats don’t have a pick...

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
WesternTiger said:
Surprise surprise salty Scott doesn’t like the mid-season draft and guess what? The cats don’t have a pick...

Well, I guess that means we will see all the Cat apologists out in force trying to stop it happening.

It is time for someone with a clean slate to come in and manage the AFL and sweep the rooms of all that are involved at the moment. Fresh start at rebuilding confidence as if the league is allowed to continue as it is then the risk will be lost fans that have little interest in the game anymore.

They are the most corrupt organisation, one that is being mismanaged and allowed to show bias without fear. They are laughing at us all.

We need someone in that top role that won't be led by the likes of the media or some sniveling Presidents.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
WesternTiger said:

So next year if the Cats have a pick we can expect them to take no part in the mid-season draft :rofl

Cant wait to see what he says with when select someone next year.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So who do we take next week?
published links to Cody Hirst and Marlion Pickett (who i plumped for at the start of the year) but I doubt that any journo knows anything.

From what i have read i would be looking at 2 - Kelly or Riordan

#3 Ben Kelly @ Murray Bushrangers
200cm, runs sub 3s 20m
injured for big part of 2018 so not drafted.
from AFLDRAFT central "His form this season is arguably the best of any 19 year-old tall and that continued on the weekend against inexperienced rucks. He not only gets the hitouts, but follows up with clearances and tackles, and most importantly is able to take the game on without being a liability. He has a quick few steps and can sidestep opponents but does not overdo it, and uses hands to draw an opponent and handball clear to a teammate."

Plays ruck /chb.
sounds like what we looked for with Miller.
And with Rance down, and Balta fwd /ruck, there is a development position as a key back for Kelly

Mitch Riordan
187, 83kegs
inside midfielder.

"The premiership co-captain provides the stronger body on the inside"
"Riordan was a constant in the Dandenong engine room as a standout at the stoppages with his attack and clean hands at the contest."
Riordan’s run from congestion was great to watch, with an explosive first five steps allowing him to break forward quickly and dispose of the ball effectively in more space"
"Repeat efforts in-close helped him tally his 25 disposals, including five clearances, but Riordan also contributed well in handball chains – using his pace to good effect."
"A high work rate and competitive effort is what you get with Riordan each and every week "

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
tigerdell said:
So who do we take next week?
published links to Cody Hirst and Marlion Pickett (who i plumped for at the start of the year) but I doubt that any journo knows anything.

From what i have read i would be looking at 2 - Kelly or Riordan

#3 Ben Kelly @ Murray Bushrangers
200cm, runs sub 3s 20m
from AFLDRAFT central "His form this season is arguably the best of any 19 year-old tall and that continued on the weekend against inexperienced rucks. He not only gets the hitouts, but follows up with clearances and tackles, and most importantly is able to take the game on without being a liability. He has a quick few steps and can sidestep opponents but does not overdo it, and uses hands to draw an opponent and handball clear to a teammate."

Plays ruck /chb.
sounds like what we looked for with Miller.
And with Rance down, and Balta fwd /ruck, there is a development position as a key back for Kelly

Mitch Riordan
187, 83kegs
inside midfielder.

"The premiership co-captain provides the stronger body on the inside"
"Riordan was a constant in the Dandenong engine room as a standout at the stoppages with his attack and clean hands at the contest."
Riordan’s run from congestion was great to watch, with an explosive first five steps allowing him to break forward quickly and dispose of the ball effectively in more space"
"Repeat efforts in-close helped him tally his 25 disposals, including five clearances, but Riordan also contributed well in handball chains – using his pace to good effect."
"A high work rate and competitive effort is what you get with Riordan each and every week "

I’m super confident these days the club will make the right decision on whoever they pick.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
zippadeee said:
I’m super confident these days the club will make the right decision on whoever they pick.

Our development programme is that good these days, that we could recruit a bag of beans and turn them into a McBeanstalk.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
A sub 3.20 ruck? I'd rather give CuJo a run, then Chol.

Sub 3s.
I've also heard he's a KPD more than a ruck.
Sounds like a great option for us.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Do we get first dibs on our man for 2020 or does he go back into the draft pool? If it's the latter then we need someone we can plug-n-play rather than develop.

Former. It's why Pricky Scott was whinging about clubs using it to warehouse players they would otherwise draft at the end of the year. That coming from a bloke who has next to no injuries on his list and doesnt have a pick available in the MSD.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Do we get first dibs on our man for 2020 or does he go back into the draft pool? If it's the latter then we need someone we can plug-n-play rather than develop.

As I understand it, you have to have a spare spot available on your list to draft someone. If that spot is available through a long term injury, you would have to delist someone from your list to maintain the correct list numbers once that injured player has recovered.
You are not hiring short term labour. You are drafting someone and must sign them to a minimum contract which i believe is two years. Going for a mature player is an option for plug and play if you need something particular in your seniors.
I do not believe we are really deficient in one particular position atm and can afford to speculate on a developing junior. The next Sydney Stack would be nice

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Dont Argue said:
As I understand it, you have to have a spare spot available on your list to draft someone. If that spot is available through a long term injury, you would have to delist someone from your list to maintain the correct list numbers once that injured player has recovered.
You are not hiring short term labour. You are drafting someone and must sign them to a minimum contract which i believe is two years. Going for a mature player is an option for plug and play if you need something particular in your seniors.
I do not believe we are really deficient in one particular position atm and can afford to speculate on a developing junior. The next Sydney Stack would be nice

Mid season draft is not a 2 year contract. Its a contract till the end of the year ($50k) and if not re-signed at the end of the year an extra $20k payment.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
mrposhman said:
Mid season draft is not a 2 year contract. Its a contract till the end of the year ($50k) and if not re-signed at the end of the year an extra $20k payment.

Interesting.Thanks for that.
That makes sense.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
A sub 3.20 ruck? I'd rather give CuJo a run, then Chol.
3seconds for 20m.
We dont draft anyone slower than that.
Think of him as an alternative to Miller, as a key back to eventually replace down the line Dave and to play on the Cox types

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Dont Argue said:
Sub 3s.
I've also heard he's a KPD more than a ruck.
Sounds like a great option for us.

This was the article.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/who-wants-a-lightningquick-200cm-key-defender

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
BrisTiger24 said:
Former. It's why Pricky Scott was whinging about clubs using it to warehouse players they would otherwise draft at the end of the year. That coming from a bloke who has next to no injuries on his list and doesnt have a pick available in the MSD.

he has a point. it was brought in to allow cover for injuries, but from the sounds of it teams are just going to use it to add promising youngsters.
state league clubs wont be happy to see their best players drafted then play for another state league team for the rest of the year while they 'develop'.

we should use it to pick the best VFL player from the team 2nd on the VFL ladder to boost our chances of a premiership double.