Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Tim Taranto is someone we should be looking at. Hunts the footy and the man very well and at first glance seems to cover the ground well enough to fit in our system.

Almost the opposite of what I saw from Narkle last night. I would be steering well clear.
Just comes down to cost. I think he will be out of our reach due to the salary cap.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
29 in Oct. 4 years too risky for mine. He’s a fantastic player but that’s a fair punt.
Yep exactly. Our best midfielders already consist of a 33, 31, 30, 29yo, pretty much all being more and more sidelined with injury. We desperately need quality younger blood transitioning to the top level.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I got them off @LeeToRainesToRoach

I did a search but couldn’t find the posts but from memory a 29 yr old going to their second club averages 30-40 games. Going to their 3rd club was 20ish (from memory)

It’d be madness to offer a 29 year old a 4 year contract .
In fairness there'd be a few changing clubs who'd be hanging onto the past who should have retired bringing the average down. But even on a 3 or 4 year contract I think that is going to be a lean time for us and we should focus on younger talent. We already have enough experienced premiership players to teach the youngsters what they know.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks Lee.

So 29yr olds at their second club average 23 games. 18 at their third club. It’s pretty damning.

Interesting how 28 yr olds at their 5th club average 135! That’s obviously 1 player, Dale Kickett. And I assume it’s Adrian Fletcher age 28 at their fourth club boosting that average to 42? (79 games at Freo)
May as well recruit an untried 34yo. 20 games at their first club. I'll check my Master 35s list for any candidates.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yep exactly. Our best midfielders already consist of a 33, 31, 30, 29yo, pretty much all being more and more sidelined with injury. We desperately need quality younger blood transitioning to the top level.
This is all hypothetical because I doubt he leaves, but Parker is an unrestricted free agent. So its salary cap impact which would most likely prevent bringing in a Cerra or equivalent. But we still keep 2 first rounders. Plenty of youth coming in.

Yep Parker doesn't fit the age bracket but steps into the Cotch spot.
Another 2 swings at the target, at least.
Gives more time for RCD, Dow, even Graham to develop.
In a heartbeat

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
This is all hypothetical because I doubt he leaves, but Parker is an unrestricted free agent. So its salary cap impact which would most likely prevent bringing in a Cerra or equivalent. But we still keep 2 first rounders. Plenty of youth coming in.

Yep Parker doesn't fit the age bracket but steps into the Cotch spot.
Another 2 swings at the target, at least.
Gives more time for RCD, Dow, even Graham to develop.
In a heartbeat
But what's the point? Cotch retiring (is he) opens up a spot for a younger player to experience midfield time instead of yet another coming up 30yo. I understand in the premiership window but that's behind us now. Time to get some younger midfield talent we know will make it. Right now I'm not sure any of our young brigade midfielders will make it. Never going to find out if we keep replacing 30yos with other 30yos.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Out of interest when did we last recruit a 29yo+? I think it's been a very long time and hasn't really been part of our recruitment plan over the last few years (unlike say a Geelong).

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
But what's the point? Cotch retiring (is he) opens up a spot for a younger player to experience midfield time instead of yet another coming up 30yo. I understand in the premiership window but that's behind us now. Time to get some younger midfield talent we know will make it. Right now I'm not sure any of our young brigade midfielders will make it. Never going to find out if we keep replacing 30yos with other 30yos.
It all depends on our forecast for next year and seasons 23,24.
With Dusty, Presty, Nank, Bolton, Lynch, Grimes, these are still a solid nucleus to build a premiership team.
Is the Window closed? We don't know but if we assume it is then it is.

I,d be happy for the club to have another ping

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Out of interest when did we last recruit a 29yo+? I think it's been a very long time and hasn't really been part of our recruitment plan over the last few years (unlike say a Geelong).
Did it work for the Hawks? Brian Lake then James Frawley?
Tbh I don't recall their exact ages but top up recruiting was useful for their short term success.

On the flipside the trading in to create a super midfield hasnt worked
Geelong with Ablett and Danger, West Coast with Kelly, Port with Rockliff.
Its obviously not as simple and team balance is crucial

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Speaking of the Geelol pensioners association.
Just read a snippet in the Hun this morn, that the good Guthrie is looking at a four year contract extension. Bloke turns 29 next week and in an era where most clubs do one or two year deals for players aged 30 they're looking at 4 year deals. Probably plan on making him Craptain as well while Duckwood transitions toward the retirement village / nursing home twilight years.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
This is one area you can quickly change for the better. After tonight’s game and with Dow’s performance it’s a good step forward.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
This is one area you can quickly change for the better. After tonight’s game and with Dow’s performance it’s a good step forward.

yeah the reemergence of stackman and Danny and the rise of Dow,

changes the landscape a bit.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Mmm. Norf walked it out of the centre at will for three quarters.

Taranto and Cerra and we'll win it all next year.

Reactions: 7 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Dow and RCD come on and this is a different story. Same with getting Cerra, who I am warming to.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Mmm. Norf walked it out of the centre at will for three quarters.

Taranto and Cerra and we'll win it all next year.
Is Taranto in the frame? Geez, dynasty flag number 4 next season if we could pull that off. Did they make those ice creams you used to get at pizza joints? Tartufo, great. Carlton would have to be first in the queue you'd reckon. AFL will pull out all stops to stop that

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Is Taranto in the frame? Geez, dynasty flag number 4 next season if we could pull that off. Did they make those ice creams you used to get at pizza joints? Tartufo, great. Carlton would have to be first in the queue you'd reckon.
It depends on Kelly, I reckon. If he stays and takes up his $8m deal, they'll need to shed someone. Not sure how true it is, but there's talk Taranto's management approached us last year. He's still contracted for 2022, I think.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users