Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I think over the journey Taranto's KE is closer to 50%, that's based on some published articles in other threads. In any case 61% is a step in the right direction.
He's around 52% career but everyone has to mindful the mids have 10-20 players around them in heaps of contests ranging from ball ups to boundary throw ins.

And it's their job to keep the momentum of the ball going forward. No one I know bats an eyelid Cotch just gets it and puts it onto boot for 10-20 metres either getting it to our player down the ground or another ball up where it's rinse and repeat from him or maybe a Prestia.

I luv Cotch's ability to get the hardball and move it forward, keep the chain rolling not unlike John Kennedy's Hawthorn Kennedy's Commando's. I can recall many times they moved the ball forward from back line to a goal with maybe one or two handballs but heaps of tap ons, knock ons and moving the ball up the ground. Seems to have worked at both places.

They do not sit across the half back line kicking it across to each other on their own, that's why all the defenders go over 80% +, some into the 90's. Miller was an 88%, taking away Biggy's one game of like six disposals at 100% :LOL:

That does not make them better players than the mids who have to create the play and get the ball out of pack situations and win clearances in the centre square or around the ground. And forwards seem to be even lower, I hardly see Jack rise over 55% the last 5-6 years because the forward line narrows when you have to hit targets inside going central towards goals unlike defenders who are hitting targets wide and into space.

Daniel is at 79% as a half back flanker this year, 74% last year when he started the migration back but as the ground narrows into the forward line the three years before as a forward he was like 67%, 64%, 58%.

I never judge midfielders on the skills in pack situations, I mean we all want to win contested possession and clearances and that's what players like Cotch, Dusty, Prestia, Taranto and Hopper do.

So I appreciate their skillset to try and open a game up in small, confined places :)

Reactions: 3 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
We have reset the careers of so many players at RFC by acquiring T+H - careers that were in their twilight or waning. The presence of these two will ease the burden on Cotch and Prestia - we may even get another two productive years out of our former leader. It will significantly improve delivery into the already most potent forward line in the league - Jack is going to find things easier next year - not harder. The pressure on the backs will come down and our intercept game will flourish once more - Grimes and Tarrant and Vlaus are going to dominate. T+H - the elixir of youth, just the tonic we needed.

Reactions: 6 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
As good as this is for Cotch and Dion, I reckon this is even more important for Bolton. This will give him the luxury of not having to be the ‘do it all’ man for the next 5 years. He will get the freedom to be the weapon he is.

Reactions: 10 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
As good as this is for Cotch and Dion, I reckon this is even more important for Bolton. This will give him the luxury of not having to be the ‘do it all’ man for the next 5 years. He will get the freedom to be the weapon he is.

And he was AA in 2022 don't forget. He can be our Robbie Gray.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Soooooooooooooooooooo...........
Has to be Hartley from here, unless we climb into the top 20, the big question is who would actually add something to the mix, it's the need for speed MKII.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Has to be Hartley from here, unless we climb into the top 20, the big question is who would actually add something to the mix, it's the need for speed MKII.
I'd be signing James Jordan right away, Shaun Grigg 2.0.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What are peoples thoughts on Will Philips and Tom Powell at North? I suspect with the introduction of more and more top talent recently at North that a few players may slip out. LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, McKercher, Sheezel, Duursma will all play through the midfield at times. I wonder where that puts Philips and Powell.

Could they be options for us to target at the end of the year. I don't think either will cost a 1st rounder (maybe a very late one for Philips being as he was a Pick 3) but trades like Kennedy, Dow, Coffield and Dylan Stephens (that North gained from ) show that those top 10 picks don't usually get a 1st rounder in exchange when they don't play all the time.

Thoughts on these 2?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What are peoples thoughts on Will Philips and Tom Powell at North? I suspect with the introduction of more and more top talent recently at North that a few players may slip out. LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, McKercher, Sheezel, Duursma will all play through the midfield at times. I wonder where that puts Philips and Powell.

Could they be options for us to target at the end of the year. I don't think either will cost a 1st rounder (maybe a very late one for Philips being as he was a Pick 3) but trades like Kennedy, Dow, Coffield and Dylan Stephens (that North gained from ) show that those top 10 picks don't usually get a 1st rounder in exchange when they don't play all the time.

Thoughts on these 2?
Will Phillips yes, but would definitely cost a first rounder.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Don't worry about midfield depth.

Our first choice midfield is a bigger worry.

Got absolutely torched in the first half on Sat. IN an area we've spent heavily in.

One player for the opposition had 20 clearances. Our whole team had 30.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Don't worry about midfield depth.

Our first choice midfield is a bigger worry.

Got absolutely torched in the first half on Sat. IN an area we've spent heavily in.

One player for the opposition had 20 clearances. Our whole team had 30.
I reckon they let Rowell get it and they planned to stop Anderson.
But Rowell just off the leash and like always it took 50 minutes to try to slow him down.
The footage of Rowell beating Dow, Tarranto and hopper was embarrassing.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I think people forget our Rucks got beaten easily in the first half ,they had the ball going in perfect positions for there mids .
Nank would of made a big difference.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Will Phillips yes, but would definitely cost a first rounder.

Not if they keep playing him in the 2's. Whats the knock on him why he isn't making their 1st team? Simpkin still to come in over him.

Hugely rated talent when he was drafted, his draft profile reads exactly what we need. Speed, ball winning, so whats the knock. I didn't watch North much last year but his stats look pretty good for a 3rd year player when you take out the 2 games he was either subbed on or subbed off.

19.7 disposals, 8.5 contested possessions, 4.5 tackles, 4.1 clearances, 2.2 centre clearances, 4.2 score involvements, all from under 74% TOG.

Seems decent just wondering what others thoughts are on him. If North don't play him much this year, then there is no chance they get a 1st for him. Looking at trade value of the likes of Kennedy, Coffield, Hollands, Bruhn, Stephens, Dow, it won't be a 1st for him unless he plays a lot more. I'd be having a chat with him and his manager.

Perfect scenario for us would be trading up to 2 top 10's (2 mids), get a pick in the teens and draft Faull or O'Farrell as a tall, Philips with another pick and then get another player in the 20's.