Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
Harry said:
which is why deledio must play midfield. people speak of goddard and hodge as comparisons but these 2 are more effective in the midfield.

chimp, foley, martin, deledio, edwards, morton. perhaps connors. something to work with. other possibles - webberley, nason, contin, hicks, need to add to it though. Atley/Gaff/Caddy this year and a few others with later picks. keep recruiting talent and invest in development. it can turn quicker than you think if you do it right.

Agree. Lids to midfield.

Goddard does play off-half but drifts through the midfield much more than Lids. Only have to look at how many stoppages he is at while Lids is sitting behind the play manning an opponent. Hodge has his best season in the midfield.

People say Lids had a good year so leave him there. That is true but he's the type of modern day prototype athelete who is so versatile that could play literally anywhere and play well. I think he's best used through the midfield rotations for his run and carry and goal kicking ability that we have sorely missed. Brett Ratten who has NFI is killing poor Bryce Gibbs career playing him up back manning opponents when he polled 15 brownlow votes the year before in the midfield. While Lids is more adapt to playing this role with superior marking ability and pace, memo is to play your best and most creative players who influence games in the thick of the action - the middle.

SPARTACUS

Tiger Cub
Aug 8, 2008
1st 2 draft picks should be fast outside running midffielders, we have outstanding in and under ball winning mids, Harwick has indicated this on a couple of occassions

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Harry said:
which is why deledio must play midfield. people speak of goddard and hodge as comparisons but these 2 are more effective in the midfield.

chimp, foley, martin, deledio, edwards, morton. perhaps connors. something to work with. other possibles - webberley, nason, contin, hicks, need to add to it though. Atley/Gaff/Caddy this year and a few others with later picks. keep recruiting talent and invest in development. it can turn quicker than you think if you do it right.
Agreed. Out of all the uncontracted players being bandied around, Mundy is the one that would best suit us. However pick 6 (even given the GC impact) is too big a price to pay. Who's to say we won't be able to get a young midfield gun anyway. Better the latter option. If Mundy somehow fell through to the PSD (near impossible) or we traded to get a low enough draft pick to on-trade to Fremantle for him, then so be it. We must retain a top ten pick in this year's draft - not negotiable.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
French Tiger said:
What would it take to get Mundy ? Prob our 1st pick.Would we be int ? We were keen a couple of yrs ago,he has had a great yr but would prob cost to much & at 25 ish is borderline to the age bracket we are after.Should we try ?
Hawks are VERY keen to get Mundy.So much so that only Franklin,Rioli and Hodge are off the trade table. ;)

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
too late for mundy, forget it, dont bother, move on..
he was worth a 3 rd rounder last contract, now his worth a 1st rounder or even a player and a huge pay cheque, his not that important to us..
keep the kids rolling through..

timYCW#7

UNITED CC
May 21, 2008
I see Cotchin and Dustin as our only two long term locks as an inside midfielder. Contin I'm led to believe is an inside type? So he can be added to the long term potential list.

I think Foley, and Morton are the only 2 capable of holding down an outside midfielders role permenantley for the next few years. Not sold yet on Nason or Webberly, and as with most PRErs I think this is the position we have to target in this next draft.

Edwards will be a good player, however I'm not sure where he fits in at the moment. Could be anywhere on the ground.

I'm bamboozled as to why people think Andy Collins will make a great inside midfielder. I remember there were comparisons to Lenny Hayes on here a while back. Andy played as an outside mid in the latter stages of his junior career, and it is where he made a name for himself. It seemed Hardwick was pretty content with playing him as a foward this year to make another avenue to goal it would seem, and I am happy with that for the time being. I think he is one who has the potential to become a really handy outside player for us.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Hawks are VERY keen to get Mundy.So much so that only Franklin,Rioli and Hodge are off the trade table. ;)

Essendon are offering Mundy $600k according to Caro. Massive pay for a bloke who isn't a game changer, a good flanker or second string onballer but I just don't think he is all that. Reckon Dyson Heppell will be a better version of Mundy. Quicker, better run and carry player and just as good a kick.

But for me, if you cannot build a midfield out of the draft over a four to five year period then you should pack it up. Paying $600k for a Mundy is a acknowledgement that your drafting process is flawed. Untill we are knocking on the door of top 4, getting extra draft picks and paying rookie wages should be the plan, then you trade for the gaps.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
SCOOP said:
But for me, if you cannot build a midfield out of the draft over a four to five year period then you should pack it up. Paying $600k for a Mundy is a acknowledgement that your drafting process is flawed. Untill we are knocking on the door of top 4, getting extra draft picks and paying rookie wages should be the plan, then you trade for the gaps.

Agree. Great post. Well said.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Leysy Days said:
That is the most conservative post Dyer ere' has put down. You feelin OK Swamp Fox?

Agree. Great post. Well said.

Maybe MB64 took over the profile.

Whacker

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2010
I think the key fact in this thread is the number of games played together and this is where we are really heading in the right direction by having a large group of youngsters learning and developing together. The sweet spot of it all coming together on a consistent basis is between 100 - 120 games for the A graders in the group and as such we are still at least 3 years away from where Collingwood is at the moment and that is dependant upon us doing more of the same in regard recruitment and development which I am very confident that we will do. We now have 4 consecutive years of better drafting, getter better all the time.

SAF

Tiger Superstar
Nov 23, 2007
Internet
I reckon our midfield is our strongest the area at the moment. Cotchin and Martin will be our guns over the next few years with a few other options that may develop (like Collins and Connors) and Tuck & Jackson are the workhorses. I think Lids and Newman should stay at half back as they were great there this year.

However when you look at the options Geelong, StKilda and Collingwoods have in their midfield we are way behind the experience and quaility they have. These days you need 4-5 top quaility midfielders that can rotate through there, like Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Ling and Chapman. To me this shows how far behind the top teams we are when our strongest area is still a fair way off the pace of the premiership contenders.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Heh heh heh. Yeah. I'm secretly planning a controversial attack on the Maggie's midfield depth illusion. I mean FFS if Scott Pencildick is your #1 midfielder what kind of midfield do you have?

What's that you say? But Dane Swan is there #1 mid. How can an outside mid be your #1 mid? It's always the dominant inside mid that controls the centre.

So if Mark Dumber Thompson has learnt anything since he was humiliated by The Angry Garden Gnome in 2007 his mids will smash Collingwood. It will be left to Luke Ball (who still only has one trick - the headbutt clearance - and he's good at it) to clear a path for the awesome Swan because Collingwood's #1 mid is a pencildick.

And Sharrod Wellingham will be called to account on judgement day - next week. Wellingham? He's not substantial enough to be a joke.

It doesn't matter if you have a dozen elite #4 mids if you don't have a #1.

Yes I know Micky is going to beat the Cats on the counter. But that is because his mids can't beat Geelong at the stoppages. He has to play like that. Remember even at the WCE Micky relied on an impregnable defence and the filthy Perth Perimeterball perpetrated by his neat skills types in transition, on the counter. And FWIW Kemp would destroy Pencildick.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Dyer'ere said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I feel better now.

Only a so-so effort by your efforts, the lack of prison metaphor or anti-Mitch Morton rant (which characterises much of your high quality work) was noted

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne
You make a good argument JD.

A quick comparison shows how the Pies midfield rates against Geelongs.

Joel Selwood wipes the floor with Luke Ball, younger, smarter and if possible harder.

I would take Ablett over Swan, in fact if they play again this year I would get Junior to mark Swan. Swan has absolutely no defensive effort what so ever so if Ablett was able to minimise the effect of Swan moving ahead of the Pies would be in serious trouble.

In a straight match up Bartel is twice the player of Pendlebury. If anyone has any doubts, just check out a replay of last years Grand Final. Jimmy's effort on Lenny Hayes was as good as it gets. Bartel is a Number 1 mid in 15 other teams .

The Cats also have Chapman, Corey and Ling. Probably their major wekaness is their lack of genuine speed, but really no one at the Lexus Centre can be compared with these three. Beams and Sidebottom may become A graders but in 2010 they are not playing as genuine centre square mids.

I still reckon the Pies will be found out this year. Some serious structual deficiencies for mine.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
so collingwood have an ordinary midfield?
they have an ordinary forwardline, their defense is reasonable.
im just a little confused how they won 17 games and were a clear second for points scored.
im also just a little confused how an outside mid like swan can lead the league for clearances, and be 5th for 1st possessions.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Brodders17 said:
so collingwood have an ordinary midfield?
they have an ordinary forwardline, their defense is reasonable.
im just a little confused how they won 17 games and were a clear second for points scored.
im also just a little confused how an outside mid like swan can lead the league for clearances, and be 5th for 1st possessions.
This has me baffled too.