Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Come on fellas, if you're prepared to defer to that spew filled bag of hate from the Westpac Centre you've obviously lost the will to be a Tiger supporter.

It seems 30 years of pain and anguish is just too much for some of the princesses around here.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
wammo said:
Come on fellas, if you're prepared to defer to that spew filled bag of hate from the Westpac Centre you've obviously lost the will to be a Tiger supporter.

It seems 30 years of pain and anguish is just too much for some of the princesses around here.
::)

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
Dyer'ere said:
Heh heh heh. Yeah. I'm secretly planning a controversial attack on the Maggie's midfield depth illusion. I mean FFS if Scott Pencildick is your #1 midfielder what kind of midfield do you have?

Pendlebury is a gun. Top 10 in the AFL maybe. Would be our best midfielder too.

Dyer'ere said:
What's that you say? But Dane Swan is there #1 mid. How can an outside mid be your #1 mid? It's always the dominant inside mid that controls the centre.

Swan is 2nd in the AFL for contested possessions behind Ablett and 5th in the AFL for clearances. How's he just an outside mid?

Collingwood's midfield is very good. Silly talk.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
ZeroGame said:
Exceptional player, but Top 10? Sorry but no way

He'd be pretty close on this year's performance. Top 15 or 20 maybe. Love his composure and awareness. Cotchin like.

Makes things happen with the ball. He gets it and it normally ends up in a score. I rate him very highly.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Dyer'ere said:
Heh heh heh. Yeah. I'm secretly planning a controversial attack on the Maggie's midfield depth illusion. I mean FFS if Scott Pencildick is your #1 midfielder what kind of midfield do you have?

What's that you say? But Dane Swan is there #1 mid. How can an outside mid be your #1 mid? It's always the dominant inside mid that controls the centre.

So if Mark Dumber Thompson has learnt anything since he was humiliated by The Angry Garden Gnome in 2007 his mids will smash Collingwood. It will be left to Luke Ball (who still only has one trick - the headbutt clearance - and he's good at it) to clear a path for the awesome Swan because Collingwood's #1 mid is a pencildick.

And Sharrod Wellingham will be called to account on judgement day - next week. Wellingham? He's not substantial enough to be a joke.

It doesn't matter if you have a dozen elite #4 mids if you don't have a #1.

Yes I know Micky is going to beat the Cats on the counter. But that is because his mids can't beat Geelong at the stoppages. He has to play like that. Remember even at the WCE Micky relied on an impregnable defence and the filthy Perth Perimeterball perpetrated by his neat skills types in transition, on the counter. And FWIW Kemp would destroy Pencildick.
Magnificent.

Except it was 2008.

But you're right about Kemp. It's not sacrilegious to suggest Mater Kemp Mainwairing = Bourke Barrott Clay.

Barnzy said:
Pendlebury is a gun. Top 10 in the AFL maybe. Would be our best midfielder too.

Swan is 2nd in the AFL for contested possessions behind Ablett and 5th in the AFL for clearances. How's he just an outside mid?

Collingwood's midfield is very good. Silly talk.
You are batting out of your league, pal ... so far out of your league.

Collingwood's midfield is a pack of second to the ball, first to the tackle lurkers and spillage sweepers. Loose ball gets are contested possessions - Swan gets lots of loose ball. Good player gets it, Collingwood Lurker A tackles him, ball spills to Lurker B who handballs to Lurker C who gets credited with a clearance.

Speaking of midfield depth, the run of Varcoe and Wojo was massive tonight. Good changes. Corey can do Mackie's job better than him and dare I say it, Lonergan is important. Tomahawk doesn't have to do much to be more effective than Blake, and he succeeded in that. If Ottens can play as much time as Jolly the Cats will be happy. I hope they smash the Social Climbers, the question is if their handball and risk taking can stand up to the lurking. It will be a victory for football if it can.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
lukeanddad said:
Harry is A-Grade, and as much as I dislike him, Maxwell is close.

As for the mids, I am comfortable with your comparison. Titch with more muscle will be close to elite.

You have probably deliberately left out Jacko. While he is low on awareness/class, his strength more than makes up for it. So, I;d swap him for Foley as the Ball-like player on our list.
foley is a damaging pacy ball carrier, who is good inside and also carrys his own ball long distances

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Disco08 said:
I reckon it's their midfield making their defense look good to some extent. None of those guys are A graders IMO.

Not sure they have A-Graders, but their defence is very good as a unit. As good as their midfield might be, I don't think it has the greatest defensive pressure.

Collingwood's real strength is their backline and the consistant way it goes about things.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Barnzy said:
No I don't really think I am. Thanks anyways.
When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?

Heads-up: it's anyway. Only Americans say anyways.
;)

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
spook said:
You are batting out of your league, pal ... so far out of your league.

I can't hear those words without thinking of that irritating umpire just begging for a clip round the ear

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
wammo said:
What do you reckon Brodders...tone it down a bit?

i reckon it is a little silly to suggest that someone is a princess cos they can acknowledge collingwood have some pretty good players, and that rating swan as good midfielder equates to having lost the will to be a tiger supporter.

spook said:
Collingwood's midfield is a pack of second to the ball, first to the tackle lurkers and spillage sweepers. Loose ball gets are contested possessions - Swan gets lots of loose ball. Good player gets it, Collingwood Lurker A tackles him, ball spills to Lurker B who handballs to Lurker C who gets credited with a clearance.
if the pies results are built on being 2nd to the ball and being lurkers, i reckon you'll see another 16 teams trying that next year.

what do collingwood do well?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
what do collingwood do well?
Numbers at the contest, allowing them to harass and tackle the ball winner; hurt on the turnover; chip the ball around the boundary. They break down the zone and get a man over the back. Would have to lead the league in uncontested marks in and goals from their attacking goal square.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Gee I wish our midfield was as bad as the Collingwood midfield that some around here think is so ordinary.

Backline full of duds, midfield lurkers and forwards who cant kick. What a *smile* side.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Gee I wish our midfield was as bad as the Collingwood midfield that some around here think is so ordinary.

Backline full of duds, midfield lurkers and forwards who cant kick. What a sh!t side.

:hihi