Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Mitchell ?? would rather Toby than Tom
I'm not suggesting that we chase a Tom Mitchell, just that we need a mid who can plug and play.
Obviously Mitchell can plug and accumulate and slowly defend which isn't ideal :mhihi

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
So we have
Cotchin
Martin
Prestia
Bolton
Lambert
Graham
Edwards
Ross
RCD
Dow
Martyn
Sonsie

With potential of Baker and Banks rolling through there.

A blend of experience and youth.

We need the likes of RCD, Dow and Ross to step up into best 22 players.

Then we have the potential of Sonsie trumping them all as our next A grade player.

Not all is lost in this space.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think you forgot Baker. He's good enough to play in the midfield I feel.

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Based on this draft, I'd say the club are banking on a bit of internal improvement to assist the midfield. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Some will ask if we have addressed our biggest weakness in clearances. Time will tell. But a fit Soldo and Nank will help immensely.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Will Martyn is the one that we need to change up a bit. Give him an opportunity as an on ball, clearance bull. Just set him loose in that role instead of run with defensive roles and what not. Throw him into traffic and let him chug from one contest to another.

You might be surprised.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I think RCD had the potential for huge improvement. He reminds me a bit of Petracca. In petracca’s early days he showed potential but not heart, sometimes appearing lazy. He grew into his body and his desire to perform grew too. Am hoping for the Penny to drop with RCD

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Wonder what percentage of the Dees success is due to Gawn. Only the way to tell for sure would be if he misses many games (I'm not wishing or advocating).
He is pivotal to their success. Its his influence around the ground not just the centre square.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
RCD and Baker my tips to be seeing much more onball time after our draft is over.

I'm still ultra bullish on what RCD can do if his tank allows him to play 85% game time, if you roll his numbers up 20% it's quite exciting.

Reactions: 10 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Will Martyn is the one that we need to change up a bit. Give him an opportunity as an on ball, clearance bull. Just set him loose in that role instead of run with defensive roles and what not. Throw him into traffic and let him chug from one contest to another.

You might be surprised.
Good call.

A horrible call by the match committee was playing him on a wing at Adelaide Oval. A winger he aint.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Some will ask if we have addressed our biggest weakness in clearances. Time will tell. But a fit Soldo and Nank will help immensely.
I would have Nank at the feet of Soldo if you wanna improve clearances.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I think you forgot Baker. He's good enough to play in the midfield I feel.
Baker I expect to be a full time mid next year. He can do it all. And the forwards will appreciate his crisp kicking into the forward line.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
This is still an issue for me, we added one very important piece in the form of Sonsie but need some more top end talent. Having gone tall at pick 9 I think we can keep an open mind next year, my hunch is that we'll see some sliders as clubs clamour to get their hands on the tall stocks. Banks is a very interesting prospect, clearly he needs to refine his contested game but there could be some potential to join the rotations.