Mighty Tigers vs Petraccabourne Friday 26th March | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mighty Tigers vs Petraccabourne Friday 26th March

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Out of all of the kids to retire, i would keep Jack in front of others.
People get sucked in by the media.
He should've kicked 4 goals again in last year's GF, a follow to his 5 the yesr before.
Outstanding and very smart footballer
On the money zips, what Jack lacks in pace, he makes up with rat cunning. One of the smartest players I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: 4 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Eggs is elite by foot when he is out in space but in finals you get very little space and his one wood will be taken away,

He is deficient in other areas and they will take time to iron out.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
With Chocco pissed after not getting re signed after 2016 i think and umpiring did our blokes get a fee kick ?

Good practice for the upcoming season when we wont get any either I guess .............
the A game , centre bounce , free against Nank , I rewind , he flew for the tap , knocked in mid air and fell to the ground
as he was hitting the ground he copped a knee to the head , the free was paid by the ump off the ball to Melb.

I'm guessing it was for chopping the legs , to my eye only two decisions should have been made
free to Nank - head high contact
play on - contact deemed incidental or missed the contact due to watching the ball
that was on the back of a couple of frees they seemed overly keen to pay Melb.
…. here we go again the worst free differential in the comp.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I just posted this little player report from the 2nds game in the mrj thread so will paste below

Dow - really showed great composure, vision and excellent decision making mixed with hunger for the ball which made him my stand out. really lovely disposal to the advantage of team mates. The dominant clearance mid fielder on the ground and great link player.

Greene- was surprised by his presence on the field. Firstly, he competed well at stoppages and then provided a great marking/spoiling option with his hight. Good skills and my pick for the last spot.

Mansell - fairly quiet which was a bit disappointing for me as I really want him to succeed. Great skilz

Naish- started like a rocket but faded out. Great kicking and talented but not sure he is suited to our game plan. It would not surprise me if he is traded end of year

egg - was everywhere on the half back line. I’ve made an assumption that he is gone and already grieved his loss so a bit hard to open myself to the pain of double delisting. Great skills, read the play well and as I said - was everywhere.

Miller - solid, played his role and played it well. Kept confusing him with Greene so not much to report

biggy- agile, fearless, good reader of the play, neat skills, can’t wait for him to get biggyer

Sampson- needs time, size, fitness

Rioli- wrecking ball with a friendly smile. He eased his way into it and performed better as the game went on. Silky, tough, fast, a bit of nasty. A couple of great goals, one where he dislodged the ball from an opponent with a hit, gathered and snapped. Another a close miss from an electric ⚡️ front and centre at pace on the boundary. A couple of nice disposals that picked out a target with magic vision. Really exciting. Seemed to enjoy the hurt and making the other team think twice before holding it too long. I like.

Ccj- was impressive and probably ready to take another step. My pick for 2nd ruck.

Marlion - cruises around doing what he does at will

Garth- hardly seen

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I just don't see Egg getting better and he's still not physical enough and indecisive. A largely hands free game suits him, hence why pre-season he looks at the level. He looks lost when the pressure goes up hence why I don't think he will make it at the top level, particularly at the top of the ladder. He's probably better suited to someone in the bottom 6 of the AFL.
Really disagree. He's not quite 23 and was originally taken as a rookie. Of course he can improve. Obtained 6 games in '20, sure due to injuries, but starred in the game against Norf, which proved he can perform at the top level.
All you've said about him here is exactly what many critics claimed about Houli in his early years. How do you get better at physicality and decisiveness? With experience - and what comes with it - confidence.
I think these knocks on Egg are nonsense. The elite disposal and often excellent decision-making are really valuable attributes and uncommon. As I've posted a few times, it will be a strange decision to let him go definitely when he could well replace Bachar, who I suspect is only one more injury away from retirement after a very distinguished career. It could well occur mid-season IMHO, leaving us a defender down again like with Rance last year.
We've retained Garth and Miller on the list as depth defenders (although now trying G forward, an odd idea!). I know they are tall defenders, more in the style of stoppers.
However, I offer you a hypothetical. Due to injuries again, as a selector, you must include a defender in the team in say, Rd.8. Which of these 3 players are you most confident of winning a heap of rebound 50s and interceptions, as well as avoiding turnovers by foot, plus create attacking opportunities?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Really disagree. He's not quite 23 and was originally taken as a rookie. Of course he can improve. Obtained 6 games in '20, sure due to injuries, but starred in the game against Norf, which proved he can perform at the top level.
All you've said about him here is exactly what many critics claimed about Houli in his early years. How do you get better at physicality and decisiveness? With experience - and what comes with it - confidence.
I think these knocks on Egg are nonsense. The elite disposal and often excellent decision-making are really valuable attributes and uncommon. As I've posted a few times, it will be a strange decision to let him go definitely when he could well replace Bachar, who I suspect is only one more injury away from retirement after a very distinguished career. It could well occur mid-season IMHO, leaving us a defender down again like with Rance last year.
We've retained Garth and Miller on the list as depth defenders (although now trying G forward, an odd idea!). I know they are tall defenders, more in the style of stoppers.
However, I offer you a hypothetical. Due to injuries again, as a selector, you must include a defender in the team in say, Rd.8. Which of these 3 players are you most confident of winning a heap of rebound 50s and interceptions, as well as avoiding turnovers by foot, plus create attacking opportunities?

I think its evident that they want to fill those positions, but with Mansell signing and Hugo being trialled back there (and bear in mind he was in the 1's not the 2's like Egg) then I think Hugo is probably ahead of Egg at this stage and will be given 1st crack. I also think Mansell will likely be next cab off the rank. Egg is way down the list in terms of replacing Houli at the moment.

Compare Egg to someone like Bakes, how quickly Bakes took to everything. Its because he likes contact, Egg doesn't. He was massively exposed when the pressure was increased against Port. By all means use the North game, but watching that game, the intensity was well below standard in terms of their defensive pressur einside 50.

Egg looks a million dollars whenever he gets time and space, but when he doesn't he seems to avoid contact or gets caught. Whether he can remove that from his game I'm not sure, personally think its a long shot. Houli may have in the past may have gone softer at contests than others, but I don't remember a time when he actually pulled out of contests (like Egg did against Port) and I also don't remember him getting caught with the ball as much.

I don't dislike Egg, I just think this is where he is, a very strong performer at the VFL level but can't make that jump. Thats nothing to get upset about (as you seem to), there are plenty of players that have made very good VFL careers out of similar circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I think its evident that they want to fill those positions, but with Mansell signing and Hugo being trialled back there (and bear in mind he was in the 1's not the 2's like Egg) then I think Hugo is probably ahead of Egg at this stage and will be given 1st crack. I also think Mansell will likely be next cab off the rank. Egg is way down the list in terms of replacing Houli at the moment.

Compare Egg to someone like Bakes, how quickly Bakes took to everything. Its because he likes contact, Egg doesn't. He was massively exposed when the pressure was increased against Port. By all means use the North game, but watching that game, the intensity was well below standard in terms of their defensive pressur einside 50.

Egg looks a million dollars whenever he gets time and space, but when he doesn't he seems to avoid contact or gets caught. Whether he can remove that from his game I'm not sure, personally think its a long shot. Houli may have in the past may have gone softer at contests than others, but I don't remember a time when he actually pulled out of contests (like Egg did against Port) and I also don't remember him getting caught with the ball as much.

I don't dislike Egg, I just think this is where he is, a very strong performer at the VFL level but can't make that jump. Thats nothing to get upset about (as you seem to), there are plenty of players that have made very good VFL careers out of similar circumstances.
Not 'upset' at all. Just have a different view. Like most things in footy, time will tell. You have to be almost the full package to succeed and forge an AFL career these days, but golden boots are still a real asset: relieving defensive pressure; creating opportunities for attack and scores; avoiding/reducing turnovers so scores against.
Ralphsmith is definitely promising and a bit taller and better in the air most likely. But those aspects you criticise Egg for are, I would argue, not at all proven in his case as yet, cannot be, as no AFL debut yet. Did I see some comments from the A game that he showed similar issues?
It's not all surprising that young players need time to adjust to the pace, pressure and physicality at the top level.

Baker is a rare breed, just exceptional. But, even he took some time to break into the side then cement his place.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
the A game , centre bounce , free against Nank , I rewind , he flew for the tap , knocked in mid air and fell to the ground
as he was hitting the ground he copped a knee to the head , the free was paid by the ump off the ball to Melb.

I'm guessing it was for chopping the legs , to my eye only two decisions should have been made
free to Nank - head high contact
play on - contact deemed incidental or missed the contact due to watching the ball
that was on the back of a couple of frees they seemed overly keen to pay Melb.
…. here we go again the worst free differential in the comp.
It was against Cotchin, who shoved the bloke who collected Nank.

I think it's more a case they wanted to see how Hugo went in the ones than he's necessarily ahead of Egg (although he is on the list proper, so there's that). I wouldn't say Hugo's ahead of Marlion.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think it's more a case they wanted to see how Hugo went in the ones than he's necessarily ahead of Egg (although he is on the list proper, so there's that). I wouldn't say Hugo's ahead of Marlion.

Agree that Hugos not ahead of Marlion, I guess it depends when we get down to Round 1 if Marlion plays wing or HB, that will determine whether Caddy comes in for Houli or if we bring a HB in for Houli but yes its another option. Another reason why Hardwick likes players that can play more than 1 position.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021

thanks for that , I rewatched a couple of times , but was very focused on Nank trying to see what he did wrong

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I just posted this little player report from the 2nds game in the mrj thread so will paste below

Dow - really showed great composure, vision and excellent decision making mixed with hunger for the ball which made him my stand out. really lovely disposal to the advantage of team mates. The dominant clearance mid fielder on the ground and great link player.

Greene- was surprised by his presence on the field. Firstly, he competed well at stoppages and then provided a great marking/spoiling option with his hight. Good skills and my pick for the last spot.

Mansell - fairly quiet which was a bit disappointing for me as I really want him to succeed. Great skilz

Naish- started like a rocket but faded out. Great kicking and talented but not sure he is suited to our game plan. It would not surprise me if he is traded end of year

egg - was everywhere on the half back line. I’ve made an assumption that he is gone and already grieved his loss so a bit hard to open myself to the pain of double delisting. Great skills, read the play well and as I said - was everywhere.

Miller - solid, played his role and played it well. Kept confusing him with Greene so not much to report

biggy- agile, fearless, good reader of the play, neat skills, can’t wait for him to get biggyer

Sampson- needs time, size, fitness

Rioli- wrecking ball with a friendly smile. He eased his way into it and performed better as the game went on. Silky, tough, fast, a bit of nasty. A couple of great goals, one where he dislodged the ball from an opponent with a hit, gathered and snapped. Another a close miss from an electric ⚡️ front and centre at pace on the boundary. A couple of nice disposals that picked out a target with magic vision. Really exciting. Seemed to enjoy the hurt and making the other team think twice before holding it too long. I like.

Ccj- was impressive and probably ready to take another step. My pick for 2nd ruck.

Marlion - cruises around doing what he does at will

Garth- hardly seen
Really like the look of Green. Can take a grab and strong around the contest.
May not be quick or agile enough as a midfielder but I’d be playing him as a mobile 3rd tall in front of Chol at this stage.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Really like the look of Green. Can take a grab and strong around the contest.
May not be quick or agile enough as a midfielder but I’d be playing him as a mobile 3rd tall in front of Chol at this stage.

I liked what I saw too, defo something to work with.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Didn't think Greene was much chop. Way too slow for us. We already have Caddy for his position and he's struggling to get a game so not really a position we're in desperate need of and frankly I prefer Caddy!

Greene's only plus side vs Caddy is age and whether we will take the plunge on a lorry.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Finally got around to watching the B game last night. My random thoughts in no particular order.

- Gallucci reminded me of Tambling the way he ran around - full on Witness mode. No thanks

- Egg looked a class about offensively and even looked ok in the contest. My fear is that he always looks that way against inferior oppo. Remember he was best on at Metricon this year v Norf and then played ok the next week against the Dogs in a fairly one sided affair. Against higher pressure sides he struggled. He was dismal against Port in Adelaide and then dropped. Hopefully we remember that and not on how good he looks in low pressure games.

- Green looked good. Some good marks and in close disposal. My only query is whether he suits the modern game or is he just another Towner (slow but tough)?

I wouldn't be against holding off on the extra place on the list and waiting for the mid season draft.

Other observations:

- CCJ looks strong and imposing. If he can bring that presence at AFL level, we have a player on our hands

- Dow looked a class above. Evasive and great hands. Still some improvement to come in his kicking

- Naish also looked good. Again, if he can bring that presence at AFL level, he will make it

- Biggy looked promising. Read the ball well and marked it pretty well. He is crucial to our list evolution with DTLD and Grimes coming to the end of their careers

- MJ what a freak. I feel he will be the type of guy that needs to be on the G to see the best of what he can do. But clearly needs some match fitness and to drop a few kegs

- Garthwaite I'm not sure what they are trying to do. Looks like he had NFI as a forward. Looks bigger and more imposing to me. He must return to the back line