MLB 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MLB 2023

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Way too good really. Dominant pitching from starters to middle relief to closers.

Ryan Pressly pitched in 10 innings over the post season for an ERA of….0.00. Outstanding.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
@TigerForce

Nah the changes will be fine. 15 seconds to pitch when no runners on base. 20 seconds with runners on. That alone has cut an average of 26 minutes off the time of games - thank goodness. They showed the difference on MLB Network last night. Staggering.

The other big changes are in respect of the shift rule and the stolen base/thrown out rules. Massive.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
@TigerForce

Nah the changes will be fine. 15 seconds to pitch when no runners on base. 20 seconds with runners on. That alone has cut an average of 26 minutes off the time of games - thank goodness. They showed the difference on MLB Network last night. Staggering.

The other big changes are in respect of the shift rule and the stolen base/thrown out rules. Massive.
OK. Just reading these from wiki. These 2 below sound quite pedantic. You really think 100% of players will abide give or take some teething problems? 'Alert the pitcher'......suppose just like the batsman and the bowler...

• The pitcher must start his motion before the expiration of the pitch timer. A violation will result in an automatic ball.
  • The batter must be in the box and alert to the pitcher with no less than eight seconds remaining. A violation will result in an automatic strike.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
OK. Just reading these from wiki. These 2 below sound quite pedantic. You really think 100% of players will abide give or take some teething problems? 'Alert the pitcher'......suppose just like the batsman and the bowler...

• The pitcher must start his motion before the expiration of the pitch timer. A violation will result in an automatic ball.
  • The batter must be in the box and alert to the pitcher with no less than eight seconds remaining. A violation will result in an automatic strike.
In the 8000 games trialled in the minors there was something like an average of 1 violation called on a team for every 4 complete games that they played ie a ball or a strike depending on the violator be it batter or pitcher. That’s f all. They adapt QUICKLY.

I’ve seen it in action. Easy. Effective. Awesome.

The change to the shift rule is equally as important.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
In the 8000 games trialled in the minors there was something like an average of 1 violation called on a team for every 4 complete games that they played ie a ball or a strike depending on the violator be it batter or pitcher. That’s f all. They adapt QUICKLY.

I’ve seen it in action. Easy. Effective. Awesome.

The change to the shift rule is equally as important.
Good to hear. Might watch some games to see how this plays out. Best part would be to speed up the game as you've mentioned, including the runner starting on 2nd base after a 9 innings tie.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Good to hear. Might watch some games to see how this plays out. Best part would be to speed up the game as you've mentioned, including the runner starting on 2nd base after a 9 innings tie.
They couldn’t have these insane lengths of games. They’d gone on average from 2.15 in the 80’s to near 3 hours. Then you’d have 4 hour plus games with extra innings. Unsustainable. Was killing the game.

Unbelievable shift stats. The shift was used 20,000 times in 2017. Last year it was 70,000. The new shift rule will bring hitting and running the bases back into play.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
They couldn’t have these insane lengths of games. They’d gone on average from 2.15 in the 80’s to near 3 hours. Then you’d have 4 hour plus games with extra innings. Unsustainable. Was killing the game.

Unbelievable shift stats. The shift was used 20,000 times in 2017. Last year it was 70,000. The new shift rule will bring hitting and running the bases back into play.
This will be interesting :mhihi
  • All infielders must have both feet on or inside the outer edge of the marked infield while the pitcher is on the rubber.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Is this to lower the number of catches and outs in the outer field (i.e. higher scoring)?
  • The defensive team must have no fewer than four players in infield positions, with at least two on each side of second base.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This will be interesting :mhihi
  • All infielders must have both feet on or inside the outer edge of the marked infield while the pitcher is on the rubber.
Also, importantly, Max 2 infielders either side of 2nd base.

That’s because for left handed hitters 2nd base was moving back and towards 1st base and 1st base was moving back and towards 2nd as well - all part of the shift. In other words you had 3 infielders playing on the pull side, and back, thus preventing field hits along the pull side of the field.

Opposite for right handlers using 3rd instead of 1st.

Shift has the biggest impact on left handers.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Is this to lower the number of catches and outs in the outer field (i.e. higher scoring)?
  • The defensive team must have no fewer than four players in infield positions, with at least two on each side of second base.
No. Refer above.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Cards v Cubs in London. Any Pommies interested in this?

Zero chance we'll ever get something like this, and it would be Sydney before us.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Cards v Cubs in London. Any Pommies interested in this?

Zero chance we'll ever get something like this, and it would be Sydney before us.
There was talk last year that 2 west coast teams were gonna open the season in a 3 game series again here in Australia soon. They did it in 2014 with the Dodgers v Diamondbacks over 2 games at the SCG. Both games were sell outs. I was gonna go until I saw the price of the tickets. Insane.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
There was talk last year that 2 west coast teams were gonna open the season in a 3 game series again here in Australia soon. They did it in 2014 with the Dodgers v Diamondbacks over 2 games at the SCG. Both games were sell outs. I was gonna go until I saw the price of the tickets. Insane.
Sydney.....I suppose the Sardine Cricket Ground has the perfect size for a baseball field.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Shift is horrible man, looks like they're playing catchy or something :sick:

1677494639331.png

1677494681638.png

6 on the right side, 1 on the left :bash

1677494809504.png