Mobile Phone Question | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mobile Phone Question

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've dropped my phone once too often and have been looking online for that's available. I probably need to buy online due to the effort of getting to a shop. I'd prefer a Samsung (I think). Can anyone please tell me why the new ones don't have SIM cards and removable batteries? I've tried some searches but am still not sure if they are good initiatives or not. Sounds quite strange to me.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Also what do you do if the battery conks out? Does it mean the phone is history too?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
This is the first I've heard of sim-less phones. But I just googled it and the concept kind of makes sense. But are there any available now?
No idea about the battery-less either.

But ... I used to have a Samsung. For two years or so I was very happy with it. But then I just got sick of the bloatware and stuff on it that you never used and couldn't get rid of.
I bit the bullet and bought one of the "cheapies" - a OnePlus One.

An absolute joy to have a bloatware free phone that just does what you want it to and little else.
As far as I can see, for the average user it's as good as the latest iPhone or Samsung at under half the cost.
If OnePlus had to economize anywhere it's in the camera. It's probably not as excellent as what I had on the Samsung, but it is still extremely good.
And my argument is that as the camera on a phone has no optical zoom, you'd need a proper camera anyway so it didn't matter.

My advice ... don't be afraid to look at the cheaper models and I believe the OnePlus is the best.
The OnePlus One is a bit big physically and might put some off but one of my kids has a OnePlus X and that is ideal in that area.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks 22. Certainly some food for thought. I don't understand the concepts. Samsung work very well in our dodgy interent area. They are blue tick for rural areas. Importantly the MOTH, who doesn't have a lot of time for computers or smart phones, can find his way around them easily. I'll check out the phones you mention.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Huawei P8 Lite is an exceptional mobile phone. It has all the extras of the big name phones but only a third the price. $360 rrp. Compared to almost $1000 for name brands. I'm using one now and it is brilliant. It is blue tick and works very well in both the city and the bush. Being Android it enables all your favorite Android apps to run. Plus if you break your screen in the first year Huawei replace the phone for you.

I am viewing the new Microsoft (Nokia) phone on Tuesday evening and from all reports it will take on the Apple and Android phones. Plus it will run the same operating system as your PC, hence integration will be seamless. Hope it takes off and gets a good share of the market. Previous Microsoft phones have been ok but not up to the android and apple phones - early reports are this new one is.

Hope that helps Rosy. Your local Telstra shop or Business Centre will have the Huawei P8 Lite in Stock.

Cheers......RT

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
what? the the galaxy S6 has no removable battery? one of the many reasons why I dumped the iphone a few years ago was so I could remove the battery (and have a spare).

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Ian4 said:
what? the the galaxy S6 has no removable battery? one of the many reasons why I dumped the iphone a few years ago was so I could remove the battery (and have a spare).

Manufacturers are going for water resistance down to a metre of depth and up to 30 minutes underwater. Hence the need for a sealed unit.

The new Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950xl have removable batteries and are up there with the best of them. Particularly if you have Microsoft Office based PC or a Surface Pro 4. I saw and used it last Tuesday and it will gain enormous respect from the market because of its very clever functionality and seamless integration via the same operating system being on all platforms. It's camera is superior to most too. Check it out. But water resistance is not an option.

Also the new LG is modular with a removable battery too.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Hey Rosie,

A great site to spend waaay too much time on, when wanting to research mobile phones, is http://www.gsmarena.com/

I normally just check the whole battery 'thing' as well as if the phone can take a SIM card, as they are very important to me, and then move on to them comprehensive Review. The reviews are great and run through a whole lot of information which was tested.

Hope it helps.

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
I have a mate at work using a Asus mobile. Looks great and handles great and is only a couple of hundred dollars. The one thing I don't think it would have is the blue tick even though my mate is up and down through low and high coverage and he says it handles great.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for all the replies. I went to 3 shops (Telstra, Harvey Norman and JB Hi Fi)and none had the Huawei. Settled for a Samsung Galaxy S5. It has a very large removable battery whereas the S6 doesn't. Was interesting looking around at the various prices for the same phone. Ended up getting it for 568.

Also got a 3 month free Foxtel subscription for the deluxe all channels package. If anyone is thinking of Foxtel and not sure it might be worth looking into the trial. It's on offer to JB Hi Fi customers (you don't have to buy anything) for a limited time.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Hoping I can ask this question here: (did a search but no result)

I've got a Galaxy S6 and could not listen to Triple MMM at the MCG last night.

I had d/loaded the MMM app but no football.

Is there a way around this?

My old galaxy s3 had an fm radio and could listen to triple M no worries.

I think I hate this modern world.
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes, because of licensing you have to use the AFL app to stream the football over the Internet.

Some phones do have an inbuilt FM radio receiver though! Not sure about the Galaxy.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I remembered this old thread started by Rosy, so I thought I'd use it.

Just bought a new phone today after 5 years, and wondered what others think as most nowadays are all bigger and heavier which make them a bit uncomfortable to carry around, whereas I thought the target was for smartphones to be smaller and thinner?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I remembered this old thread started by Rosy, so I thought I'd use it.

Just bought a new phone today after 5 years, and wondered what others think as most nowadays are all bigger and heavier which make them a bit uncomfortable to carry around, whereas I thought the target was for smartphones to be smaller and thinner?
Trade it in for a Soyes Super Mini

61s0IaMcKtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Still running with iPhone 7s here had screen replaced twice, had charging point replaced since ive had it

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Still running with iPhone 7s here had screen replaced twice, had charging point replaced since ive had it
I've always gone for Android. Had 3 Samsungs and now bought a Nokia purely for battery life. I suppose I'll get used to these bigger and heavier ones sooner or later.