Money for nothing: Bourke deal to end (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Money for nothing: Bourke deal to end (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The start of a new era at last. Hopefully these embarrassing situations area thing of the past.

Money for nothing: Bourke deal to end
13 August 2003 Herald Sun
By TREVOR GRANT

ONE OF football's most embarrassing, and costly, deals will end quietly next month when Richmond finally stops paying for discarded Kangaroo David Bourke.

The Tigers have paid almost $300,000 -- or 2.5 per cent of their salary cap -- to honour the deal they struck in late 2001 to palm Bourke off to the Kangaroos, where he has languished in the VFL for two seasons.

Bourke, 27, an injury-prone forward who played 85 games for the Tigers between 1995-2001, was shunted off to Arden St only a year after he had signed a three-year contract with the Tigers.

The deal stipulated that the Kangaroos had to pay him only the AFL minimum rate, while Richmond would pick up the balance until the contract expired at the end of this season.

It has meant that last year, when Bourke earned about $180,000, Richmond paid $137,000.

This year, with Bourke's wage jumping to about $200,000, the Tigers have to fork out $156,000.

So in two seasons, Bourke has cost Richmond $293,000, while the Kangaroos have paid out only $87,000.

It's what you might call a "lose-lose" deal, given that Bourke has played only one game for the Kangaroos and is unlikely to play senior football again.

His lack of success at his new club hasn't hurt only the Kangaroos, though.

Under the agreement, every senior game Bourke plays reduces Richmond's debt by about $2000.

So if he had played, say, 20 games, the Tigers would have been $40,000 better off.

To some, the Bourke case is a stunning example of administrative ineptitude.

To others, it's a reflection of the pragmatism that exists today when a club decides to dump players who are still under contract.

Whatever it is, it can be an expensive exercise in a sport that is supposed to be cutting its cloth very carefully these days.

Richmond is not the only club paying for ex-players now wearing opposition colours.

Essendon is shelling out about 20 per cent of Justin Blumfield's contract at Richmond and about 4 per cent of Chris Heffernan's deal at Melbourne. Shane Woewodin's package at Collingwood is still partly financed by Melbourne.

Richmond also paid about $120,000 for ex-midfielder Nick Daffy's final season of AFL football -- at the Sydney Swans last year.

Daffy, who was on a contract worth about $300,000 a year, played only one game for the Swans before succumbing to injury and retiring.

But the impact on the Tigers of his payout was reduced when the Swans had to pay a significant sum last season for Greg Stafford, who went from Sydney to Richmond as part of the Daffy deal.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
The fact that we are paying some of contract doesnt bother me so much, as many clubs are doing that at the moment.

What does worry me is the fact he was given a 3 year deal on such big money to start with.

EyeOfTheTiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 16, 2003
The recruiting has been hampered by the club paying out Bourke and Daffy's contracts.
I hope it never happens again. 2.5% of our salary cap to a player at another club is ridiculous.
Nobody could doubt Bourkey's courage but he didn't have a lot to go with it unfortunately.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
It does work both ways but there's a couple of huge differences. Stafford wanted to leave Sydney and was coming off a year when he was injured and his form wasn't red hot. He could play and Sydney had to trade a player in some bizarre trade deal. Blunfield is a good player who Essendon never wanted to let go but had no choice under the salary cap. They both were warranted in being payed decent amounts. Daffy & Bourke are a different story. Daff had one good year and was signed up on the sort of money you'd reserve for a dead set match winner not an average half forward flanker. Bourke as I've said on another thread was on $200,000 a year at Tigerland. He his at best a minimum wage player.

All it highlights is some of the contracts Richmond were handing out a few years ago were to say the least laughable.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
That clown Mark Brayshaw really was a boy playing with men. Who in their right mind would offer David Bourke a 3 yr deal on that kind of money ???

The guy was on the downhill slide in 2000 and was gone in 2001.

He had a big few weeks at the end of season 2000 did ex CEO Brayshaw. In this time he resigned Bouke for 3 years on $200k p/y and Biddiscombe for 3 yrs of $150+.

No wonder we can't run with a full list.

Miller has to implement the rules that McGuire has put in place at Collingwood - no one holds the club to ransom, no overinflated contracts, those who don't really want to be there will be traded.

Lets hope this can happen

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Rampaging Richo said:
That clown Mark Brayshaw really was a boy playing with men. Who in their right mind would offer David Bourke a 3 yr deal on that kind of money ???

The guy was on the downhill slide in 2000 and was gone in 2001.

He had a big few weeks at the end of season 2000 did ex CEO Brayshaw. In this time he resigned Bouke for 3 years on $200k p/y and Biddiscombe for 3 yrs of $150+.

No wonder we can't run with a full list.

Miller has to implement the rules that McGuire has put in place at Collingwood - no one holds the club to ransom, no overinflated contracts, those who don't really want to be there will be traded.

Lets hope this can happen

Thnaks RR for highlighting something I have been saying for the last couple of days. Our former CEO negotiated some rippers and it is 1 of the reason we have found ourselves hamstrung by outlandish contracts

P

PuntRoadRoar

so realistically we will have 200,000 a year to entice someone to Richmond?

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
If you take into account money from Bourke, Bidders, Daffy, Kellaway, King, we should be in the market to try and poach a big name player from somewhere.

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
The most crucial part of the article has not been included. Bourke states that the environment at North was totally different to Richmond. As a generalisation the players at North were humble, down to earth. He states that if a player got a big head , they are knocked down quickly and that their champion players, eg Stevens, Archer, Simpson and Harvey, carry on as if they were playing for a team like Vermont.:mad:

I have been saying since the long hair days under Geisch that the players are the problem. They think that they are popstars and are happy to be league footballers. There is no commitment to excellence. With a new coach we always do well. The years after we have made the finals the players slip into cruise mode and become complacent until the slide becomes so bad that the coach is given the bullet.

Enough is enough. Get rid of the popstars and recruit players who are hungry for personal and team success. Let the popstars go back to their restaurants and bars and pick up women based on their image. Lets get the players who want to leave a history of finals success at Richmond. Let the axe fall on the players! Near enough should no longer be good enough! Keep the coach and shoe the players that they must be responsible. I am excited at the prospect of the bloodlust.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Was just typing out a bit of that article tt seeing it's not on the net tt.

This is a snippet an article where Bourkey talks to Trevor Grant in the HeraldSun today.

Finance aside, he (Bourkey) says the experience at the Kangaroos has restored his belief in the human side of footy. When he was traded against his wishes by Richmond , he was shocked and resentful. "It was an ordeal which erodes your belief in a club and the system," he said.

"I remember clubs going on about loyalty and players and that sort of thing year after year. Then I'd see them treat players who'd been totally lotal with indifference and disrespect. It's not just me. Look at Trent Croad and Shane Woewodin. It's just so hard to cop this notion of loyalty. But coming to North, I guess, has re-instilled some of that stuff in me.

"The players at North are tremendously loyal. it's a different environment (to Richmond) totally. This is a generalisation but the North boys are very humble, salt-of-the earth sort of guys. If someone gets a big head they are knocked down quickly. Everyone is brought right back down to earth.

I've heard a few ex-players speak unkindly about Richmond, maybe they are bitter but they have a similar theme. The unity and togetherness doesn't seem to exist as such. Egos and reputation are pandered to. The club seems to have little regard to players feelings.

Knighter didn't leave on good terms. Prescott wrote my daughter a letter saying how he felt shafted. Torney wasn't too happy with how his trade came about.

I realise that palyers have to move on, but they shoudl always be treated with dignity

My sister-in-law is a friend with an employee at Richmond and was told disclipine isn't really good around the club. Some of the behaviour the players get away with astounded them, as if the players themselves are making the rules.

I don't know of the facts, and I gather noone here would, but I wonder if we had that North sort of attitude if we'd play like them too.

There's no doubt that Roos team play for each other and as such get more out of their shortcomings than any other team imo.

I suspect it will take a pretty good cleanout around the place over the next few years to change the attitude round the club.

The times they are a gradually changin' ;)

Go Tiges.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Sounds terrible. I cant complain about hem trading Bourkey as I wanted him gone long before, but the sound of the culture doesnt sound good and is somethign that should be rectified.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Obviously the stick man has changed his tune. It's my understanding that when he was at the club he was on the sauce 4 nights at least every week and one of the main offenders as far as discipline or a lack thereof is concerned. If what he says is true IMO it's another question mark beside the senior coach. He's the man running the show and it's up to him to ensure the players heads are not inserted too far up their rectums.

Hopefully it's just sour grapes or a reflection on the culture in the past.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Dean3 - I think I should ease up a bit. It's been a slow couple of days at work and I'm clutching at straws. ;)