Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
6,853
1,270
Brisbane
Recent movies that I've watched and can recommend:
Guardians of the Galaxy, Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher, Calvary, The Guard, and In Bruges.
 

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
7,010
3,035
Giardiasis said:
Recent movies that I've watched and can recommend:
Guardians of the Galaxy, Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher, Calvary, The Guard, and In Bruges.

I found edge of tomorrow disappointingly silly.

It's treatment of time was ludicrous. Totally ignored butterfly effect.
 

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
26,084
5,842
Watched "Gone girl" last night, one of the stranger Hollywood movies in a while but I did like (and dislike) it.
 

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
21,707
4,980
Victoria
Phantom said:
Yes, in his time, Jaws set a new level in the tough guy genre.

Liked it when he hooked up with the little spectacle-wearing blonde in Moonraker.
I got an idea of how large he was when I watched the fight scene on the train in The Spy Who Loved Me. Roger Moore was not a small man, he was 6'4" and at one point Kiel grabs Moore's face in his hand and lifts him up, he looked like a child fighting a grown man. Unfortunately they made the same mistake with Kiel in Moonraker that they made with the redneck sheriff from Live and Let Die in The Man with the Golden Gun and due to audience reaction included the character again for laughs. Interestingly apart from the title the Jaws character is about the only other thing that survived from Fleming's short story The Spy Who Loved Me when they used it. The original story doesn't actually feature Bond at all, it's about and from the point of view of an old girlfriend. There's a large thug with metal teeth in it, I don't believe he's named in the story, but was very definitely the inspiration for Jaws.
 

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006
805
22
tigertim said:
Watched "Gone girl" last night, one of the stranger Hollywood movies in a while but I did like (and dislike) it.

The book irritated the crap out of me. Characters were not very sympathetic or appealing. That said, interested to see how it turns out with the Fincher treatment. Worth seeing?
 

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
26,084
5,842
Ruby said:
The book irritated the crap out of me. Characters were not very sympathetic or appealing. That said, interested to see how it turns out with the Fincher treatment. Worth seeing?
Yeah, if you've read the book I think you should see it.
 

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
21,145
0
Saw Skeleton Twins the other night.

After ten years of estrangement, twins Maggie (Kristen Wiig) and Milo (Bill Hader) coincidentally cheat death on the same day, prompting them to reunite and confront how their lives went so wrong.
At first, the bond between the twins is tentative: A surprise visit from their mother (Joanna Gleason), a new-age practitioner who refuses to recognize her children’s pain, only seems to amplify just how little Maggie and Milo have recovered from the events of their childhood. Eventually Milo and Maggie grow to understand that living truthfully and sharing their lives with each other, pain and all, is the only way they can move forward and reclaim the happiness they once enjoyed together.


A darker film about family life. Reminded me of Ben Stiller's Greenberg from a few years ago.

Good fim, though it took a while to get into, but did have the depth to make it worthwhile as a film. Certainly a dark comedy.
 

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2011
935
316
Gone girl 8/10 , dark nasty and funny just the way i like it and followed the book well!
Now the wait for Interstellar , Inherent Vice and boyhood though may have missed chance to see latter at cinema...
 

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
54,059
4,895
My sis gave me a Gold Class voucher for my birthday gift and wants to watch Annabelle. Anyone seen it? The trailer looks like that typical Hollywood horror trash.

She even nominated 'Into the Storm'.....geez.
 

K3

Tiger Champion
Oct 9, 2006
4,635
346
TigerForce said:
My sis gave me a Gold Class voucher for my birthday gift and wants to watch Annabelle. Anyone seen it? The trailer looks like that typical Hollywood horror trash.

She even nominated 'Into the Storm'.....geez.

The first movie was The Conjuring and was really tops! When I saw it was from the makers of the Saw series I gave it a miss for ages. At the insistence of my son I gave it a go and really, really enjoyed it. Was all about the suspense. Don't know what Annabelle will be like, but has some quality heritage to it.
 

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
5,878
372
I watched gone girl yesterday. Wasn't very keen to watch but a few friends wanted to go see it. Surprised the hell out of me. I thought it was fantastic and one of the best movies I've seen. Was entertained for the entire 2 and a half hours. Strongly suggest people go see it. You should watch it TigerForce. If you are going to watch a movie gold class you would want to watch a really good long one.

Easy 9.5/10 for me.
 

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
5,878
372
Tigers of Old said:
Damn good director David Fincher. Easily one of my favourites. looking forward to that one.

I can guarantee you will not be disappointed, Tooheys.
 

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
7,679
2,448
Essex Heights
TigerForce said:
My sis gave me a Gold Class voucher for my birthday gift and wants to watch Annabelle. Anyone seen it? The trailer looks like that typical Hollywood horror trash.

She even nominated 'Into the Storm'.....geez.
At the movies canned annabelle like Ryan Griffen giving his views on Mc Cartney. 1 star.
 

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
54,059
4,895
22nd Man said:
At the movies canned annabelle like Ryan Griffen giving his views on Mc Cartney. 1 star.

Off to Doncaster tomorrow arvo to watch Gone Girl. Horror films are only good if they're not American / Hollywood based.
 

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
54,059
4,895
Tigertool said:
I watched gone girl yesterday. Wasn't very keen to watch but a few friends wanted to go see it. Surprised the hell out of me. I thought it was fantastic and one of the best movies I've seen. Was entertained for the entire 2 and a half hours. Strongly suggest people go see it. You should watch it TigerForce. If you are going to watch a movie gold class you would want to watch a really good long one.

Easy 9.5/10 for me.

I'm afraid to say it was an interesting, intriguing but silly film full of plotholes and pointless ending. It only got better from when Amy went missing, but the story from then on was all too hard to believe. Sometimes, films that drag on for more than 2 hours usually lose their way to find a convincing ending, and this one definitely didn't have one. Not a good film for newlyweds, and at some point, I thought the cat did it.... ;D

Rating: 6/10