MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Why wasn’t it even paid a free kick. No matter what your intention you can not hit a player in the head. There are three umpires on the ground. How is it possible that n one of them saw fit to pay a free kick for high contact?

Vlastuin (twice), Grimes and Mansell have all been taken high in the past nine games and not one was paid a free kick. Two of the incidents have resulted in concussions that forced players from the field or forced them to miss the next game.

The Grimes one should have been 50 at least, late high contact after a mark. I thought the Dangerfield one was a free kick and a suspension.

The Mansell one was incidental - he ran in as much as Selwood bumped - Selwood didn't bump actually. Sometimes you see these paid, don't think they should be really.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The Grimes one should have been 50 at least, late high contact after a mark. I thought the Dangerfield one was a free kick and a suspension.

The Mansell one was incidental - he ran in as much as Selwood bumped - Selwood didn't bump actually. Sometimes you see these paid, don't think they should be really.
It wasnt as bad an the throws that werent paid against Selwood, or the incorrect disposal despite no prior against Vlastuin, or the non 50 against Stewart after he first knocked ball out of Dusty's hand, then refused to move back on the mark despite being asked 3 times, or the non-holding the man paid to Bolton in the forward pocket when he went to pick the ball up, but surely if someone has their head over the ball and high contact is made by an opposing player a free should be paid?

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It wasnt as bad an the throws that werent paid against Selwood, or the incorrect disposal despite no prior against Vlastuin, or the non 50 against Stewart after he first knocked ball out of Dusty's hand, then refused to move back on the mark despite being asked 3 times, or the non-holding the man paid to Bolton in the forward pocket when he went to pick the ball up, but surely if someone has their head over the ball and high contact is made by an opposing player a free should be paid?

Don't have time to go through all of those but with Mansell it looked like he dropped his head into the hip rather than a bump impacting his head already over the ball.

Really don't get the outrage over this one.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Don't have time to go through all of those but with Mansell it looked like he dropped his head into the hip rather than a bump impacting his head already over the ball.

The rest were clear frees to us that were missed, and probably cost us the game.

I would say Mansell had his head over the ball and Selwood got him when he went for the ball. Should have been a free for high contact- because there was clearly high contact, but not reportable.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Mansell had his head over the ball, mainly because, like most humans, he can't pick up the ball without bending down. Then Selwwod hits him in the head. Now, whether you think this should be reportable or not, it is clearly a free kick. FFS wasn't there that incident very early in the Port Adelaide game where the Port player literally launched his head into a Richmond player and got a free kick?

The umpiring is a mess.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

INV0ONo.jpg

- Mansell has hands on the ball
- Selwood is reaching for the ball but doesn't yet have hands on the ball
- Selwood strikes Mansell's head with his body after this still

Sure, it all happened very quickly and I said from the start there is an absence of malice. But the AFL will crap on about "duty of care" when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't. I don't care if Selwood plays next week or not, but let's at least demand the illusion of consistency from our overlords. Don't pretend you are about protecting the head, you dishonest *smile*.

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Apparently in the AFL the head is sacrosanct. Unless that head is on the shoulders of a Richmond player.

Forget about the MRO. Our players get belted in the head but can’t even get the umpires to pay a free kick!!
Its even worse than that, Luke Parker got a free kick for knocking out Kamdyn. I'm still pissed off about it.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
INV0ONo.jpg

Mansell has hands on the ball but Selwood was already also going for the ball at the same time. You can"t suddenly pull out because the opponent has put hand on ball a millisecond before you. Incidental contact. Concussion is a serious issue but this incessant micro analysis these days of every single incident that causes a concussion is really frustrating to listen to. Address the issues but don't punish players for playing within the spirit of the rules. Winning the ball has always been the primary objective and under this scenario innocent clashes will happen.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
INV0ONo.jpg

Sure, it all happened very quickly and I said from the start there is an absence of malice. But the AFL will crap on about "duty of care" when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't. I don't care if Selwood plays next week or not, but let's at least demand the illusion of consistency from our overlords. Don't pretend you are about protecting the head,
Thanks, this picture demonstrates perfectly that Selwood's focus is 100% on the ball rather than to bump.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks, this picture demonstrates perfectly that Selwood's focus is 100% on the ball rather than to bump.
Doesn't matter. He hit him in the head regardless of his intention. Under the laws of the game high contact is a free kick unless the player who gets hit deliberately contributes to the contact. There is no way Mansell contributed to the high contact; you need to bend down to pick up the ball. This should have been free kick and to suggest otherwise is just being contrarian for the sake of it. I have absolutely no doubt that if the roles were reversed Selwood would have been paid a free kick.

The irony is that Selwood often ducks his head or drops his head in in tackles to elicit high contact and more often than not is successful in drawing a free kick. The inconsistency with which the rules are applied to our players in comparison with other teams is staggering.

Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Doesn't matter. He hit him in the head regardless of his intention. Under the laws of the game high contact is a free kick unless the player who gets hit deliberately contributes to the contact. There is no way Mansell contributed to the high contact; you need to bend down to pick up the ball. This should have been free kick and to suggest otherwise is just being contrarian for the sake of it. I have absolutely no doubt that if the roles were reversed Selwood would have been paid a free kick.

The irony is that Selwood often ducks his head or drops his head in in tackles to elicit high contact and more often than not is successful in drawing a free kick. The inconsistency with which the rules are applied to our players in comparison with other teams is staggering.

He didn't "hit him in the head", they both attacked the ball, collided and Mansell's head impacted his hip. No attempt to bump or "hit" Mansell whatsoever.

If Selwood was still upright making no attempt to take the ball you might have a case Ridders.

Sometimes players get hurt through no fault of the other player.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He didn't "hit him in the head", they both attacked the ball, collided and Mansell's head impacted his hip. No attempt to bump or "hit" Mansell whatsoever.

If Selwood was still upright making no attempt to take the ball you might have a case Ridders.

Sometimes players get hurt through no fault of the other player.
The intent doesn't matter. I accept it was incidental or accidental but it is still high contact. It is a free kick. It's not reportable but it's a free kick; unless Mansell has contributed by deliberately ducking his head and drawing the contact which is not the case.

If a player goes for a mark and his opponent tries to genuinely spoil the ball but hits the marker in the head that is a free kick. The offender's intention was the ball but he still gets penalised. Can't see what the difference is.

Reactions: 4 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
Agree that it was an accident and agree there should be no report or suspension but accidents still result in free kicks. I reckon its a fee kick every day or the week. Its like a fullback trying to punch the ball but punching the leading full forward in the back of the head by accident...still a free kick.

Anyway, not outraged by it. However, what annoys me is that if the roles were reversed and Mansell bumped Selwood in the head in the exact same fashion I reckon the media would be going nuts and calling for weeks. Selwood is protected and I actually think he has intimidated the umpires over the years by his constant whinging that they are actually scared to call frees against him.

While I'm ranting on Selwood, remember when Tom Lynch rubbed the Brisbane bloke's head in the dirt after he disposed of it? He got a fine and after a few more cheap incidents being public enemy number 1 and the dirtiest bloke ever to play footy! Selwood did the exact same thing to Baker in last year's GF and was congratulated for his never give up/competitive nature by Bruce on the 7 commentary.

I totally admit I am bias but c'mon! Double standards annoys me!

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
INV0ONo.jpg

Sure, it all happened very quickly and I said from the start there is an absence of malice. But the AFL will crap on about "duty of care" when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't. I don't care if Selwood plays next week or not, but let's at least demand the illusion of consistency from our overlords. Don't pretend you are about protecting the head, you dishonest *smile*.
Mansell should know from his junior days not to lead with your head when approaching a contested situation. He has a responsibility to protect himself too.

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
The intent doesn't matter. I accept it was incidental or accidental but it is still high contact. It is a free kick. It's not reportable but it's a free kick; unless Mansell has contributed by deliberately ducking his head and drawing the contact which is not the case.

If a player goes for a mark and his opponent tries to genuinely spoil the ball but hits the marker in the head that is a free kick. The offender's intention was the ball but he still gets penalised. Can't see what the difference is.
Beat me by a minute Ridley. I basically posted the exact same thing!