MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I tend to agree. Grimes does the “clumsy” very well. The Dusty & Grimes fines were warranted. Can’t comment on the other 2 as I haven’t seen replays.

What's the point of a fine though? It's obviously not a deterrent so I don't really get it. I wish the AFL would stop being wishy washy. If they believe a player's action was intentional and bad for the game, suspend them, if not just get on with it. It's just a revenue raiser. It's pointless.

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
What's the point of a fine though? It's obviously not a deterrent so I don't really get it. I wish the AFL would stop being wishy washy. If they believe a player's action was intentional and bad for the game, suspend them, if not just get on with it. It's just a revenue raiser. It's pointless.

tokenism TL ...

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Obviously they weren't wearing the "correct colours " should have been in blue & white hoops,

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I didnt think any were worth suspensions,

but I wonder if the MRP are under a 'go easy' order

out of respect for the hardship players are enduring?

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Richmond - keeping the AFL financially afloat again

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Dusty deserved his for losing it with McDonald but was being hung on to and impeded continuously. We all find watching taggers blunt the best and most creative players in the league a highlight, and brings huge revenue in for the AFL, doesn't it? Yet little protection from umps. :(

Grimes was incidental I believe, look at it in regular motion, it happens in an instant. No idea what Short or Aarts did.

Next the AFL will fine guys for hitting a player in the head with their legs when flying for a 'speccy' - leading to a ban on high marking.

Have Norf have become, not shinboners, the new 'Saints'?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

There's clearly a distinction between an offence where you miss games and an offence where there's not enough impact to warrant a suspension. Wacking blokes is not a good look and the AFL is right to discourage it. I believe after a number of fines you get an automatic suspension, so it's not pointless IMO, regardless of who pays the fine.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
There's clearly a distinction between an offence where you miss games and an offence where there's not enough impact to warrant a suspension. Wacking blokes is not a good look and the AFL is right to discourage it. I believe after a number of fines you get an automatic suspension, so it's not pointless IMO, regardless of who pays the fine.
Not anymore, 3 strikes thing went a couple of years ago

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I didnt think any were worth suspensions,

but I wonder if the MRP are under a 'go easy' order

out of respect for the hardship players are enduring?

It didn't work for Shields.
But we are the premier team

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I stand corrected, still have no problem with fines for lesser grade offences.

Why what's the point? It's clearly not a deterrent when 4 get fined in 1 game? If the AFL are serious that it is a 'bad' look then make it a deterrent. Otherwise it's just a Clayton's effort and pointless. Most of these fines are frivolous imo.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
As much as I adore Dusty as a player, he tends to still do impulsive acts that have to be penalised. Opponents know they are an even money chance to get a cheap jumper punch or 50 metre penalty when he temporarily loses it. The unfair aspect is that he is being illegally scragged at a low level ALL the time by no name taggers. Selwood and Dangerfield get so many cheap free kicks, while the protection for Dusty is simply not there. Grounds for a royal commission.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
As much as I adore Dusty as a player, he tends to still do impulsive acts that have to be penalised. Opponents know they are an even money chance to get a cheap jumper punch or 50 metre penalty when he temporarily loses it. The unfair aspect is that he is being illegally scragged at a low level ALL the time by no name taggers. Selwood and Dangerfield get so many cheap free kicks, while the protection for Dusty is simply not there. Grounds for a royal commission.

He wouldn't punch anyone in the guts if the umpires did there job.
They seem to penalise a tagger once and sometimes twice.
If the player is held without the ball, it should automatically be a free kick regardless how many times.
In the 2nd qtr, at nearly every stoppage McDonald had a hold of dusty.
It was funny the only time he got a "holding the man' free kick was when Higgins grabbed him in the forward line.
Watch Deboar this week

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
He wouldn't punch anyone in the guts if the umpires did there job.
They seem to penalise a tagger once and sometimes twice.
If the player is held without the ball, it should automatically be a free kick regardless how many times.
In the 2nd qtr, at nearly every stoppage McDonald had a hold of dusty.
It was funny the only time he got a "holding the man' free kick was when Higgins grabbed him in the forward line.
Watch Deboar this week

Dusty got a holding the man free when McDonald was on his knees holding onto Dusty as he dragged him along. As for the tummy tap Dusty pleads with the umpire to do something and McDonald continues to niggle until Dusty reacts if the dammed umpire had stepped in then maybe Dusty wouldn't have been fined it was right in front of him.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dusty got a holding the man free when McDonald was on his knees holding onto Dusty as he dragged him along. As for the tummy tap Dusty pleads with the umpire to do something and McDonald continues to niggle until Dusty reacts if the dammed umpire had stepped in then maybe Dusty wouldn't have been fined it was right in front of him.

Too right, how about they fine the stupid umpires for missing what is staring them in the face.

There is way too much holding on in footy these days. The best players can barely move at stoppages because they are being held. The umpires do nothing about it.

Then everyone whinges about the state of the game, what a joke.

DS

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Too right, how about they fine the stupid umpires for missing what is staring them in the face.

There is way too much holding on in footy these days. The best players can barely move at stoppages because they are being held. The umpires do nothing about it.

Then everyone whinges about the state of the game, what a joke.

DS

The umpires can be blamed for so many incidents like this.

As bad as Barry Hall's hit was on Brent Staker, Hall had appealed to the umpire 3 or 4 times in the previous 10 seconds. Staker was treating Hall like his first teenage date that he couldn't keep his hands off!

I think Hall had had enough when the elastic in Staker's undies couldn't take the strain anymore, and sling shot rigt into the back of Hall's bald head!