MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Unfreakinbelievable
Didnt Hawkins throw back his elbow into Mays face? No accident there IMO he fully knew what he was doing as for the poor sorry afterwards it was just for the cameras
Titus O'Reily describes it best.

Geelong was not at full strength, but the Dees also managed to cover the loss of Steven May after a sort of accidental wild swinging elbow from Tom Hawkins caught his eye.

Hawkins should get the benefit of the doubt. He’s only been cited for striking seven times in the last five seasons.

Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Hawkins is experienced enough to know where his elbows are in relation to his opponents is.

I still thought incidental or accidental contact to the head is outlawed - just ask Houli ffs - oh unless you play for Shocking old club that is.

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Can’t wait till one of our players uses an accidental elbow
wonder how many weeks they’d get?
Already happened. When Houli knocked out the Blues player whose name escapes me, he was essentially attempting to break a tackle (which, mind you, was applied before he received the ball). it was a clear strike but most likely accidental. Houli showed contrition, accepted he had got it wrong and accepted his punishment. He was given two weeks, which the AFL appealed and had increased to four.

Houli is not exactly the most physically intimidating player in the competition either. Good on him for putting his hand up the ONLY time he has been reported in his sparkling career.

Contrast with Hawkins and Dangerfield. Both are serial offenders, they never show remorse or contrition, they jump straight up in the media and make every excuse they can think of, their coach defends them in his press conferences and they take no responsibility. For anything! Ever!

It is only logical that Houli was outed for four weeks and Hawkins is deemed to have no case to answer.

After all, the ”optics” were so much worse in Houli’s case. All Hawkins did was maim an opponent.

Reactions: 11 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
No chance of the media conducting a witch hunt demanding that Hawkins be reported the way they did against Lynch last year.

Reactions: 2 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Did Heeney get a fine for his punch on the ESS player that broke his hand?
Or did the AFL just say “don’t worry, he’s gonna miss a couple of weeks anyway”.?

Last edited:

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
it looked a similar kind of accident to Dangerfield on Vlastuin to me.
it did. both aware of the situation and what they could get away with.
Fyfe is good at this as well.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Already happened. When Houli knocked out the Blues player whose name escapes me, he was essentially attempting to break a tackle (which, mind you, was applied before he received the ball). it was a clear strike but most likely accidental. Houli showed contrition, accepted he had got it wrong and accepted his punishment. He was given two weeks, which the AFL appealed and had increased to four.

Houli is not exactly the most physically intimidating player in the competition either. Good on him for putting his hand up the ONLY time he has been reported in his sparkling career.

Contrast with Hawkins and Dangerfield. Both are serial offenders, they never show remorse or contrition, they jump straight up in the media and make every excuse they can think of, their coach defends them in his press conferences and they take no responsibility. For anything! Ever!

It is only logical that Houli was outed for four weeks and Hawkins is deemed to have no case to answer.

After all, the ”optics” were so much worse in Houli’s case. All Hawkins did was maim an opponent.

it was Lamb.

and yes, it was essentially the same motion, contact, outcome (accidental, high, severe),

although noteworthy that Bachar has had one such accident, while Hawkins has had about 10.

Bachar was cited and pursued. Hawkins was deemed a 'freak accident'.

May is having skull surgery FFS. His face is stoved in.

Geelong has some bizarre cart blanche to knock blokes out.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
it was Lamb.

and yes, it was essentially the same motion, contact, outcome (accidental, high, severe),

although noteworthy that Bachar has had one such accident, while Hawkins has had about 10.

Bachar was cited and pursued. Hawkins was deemed a 'freak accident'.

May is having skull surgery FFS. His face is stoved in.

Geelong has some bizarre cart blanche to knock blokes out.
It seems to take more than one such incident close together for a Geelong player to have to answer for these sort of things. Ablett Jr got 3 goes at it and Dangerfield had 2.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It seems to take more than one such incident close together for a Geelong player to have to answer for these sort of things. Ablett Jr got 3 goes at it and Dangerfield had 2.

maybe, but Dangerfield knocking Vlastuin out with an elbow and Hawkins stoving in Mays face with an elbow

were only 4 games apart?

I dont get it? I thought you could have careless/high/severe?

surely Hawkins swinging a cocked elbow 180 degrees at eye level is careless at best?

this *smile* knows exactly what hes doing.

clumsy blokes dont win Coleman medals

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
looking at the incident closely, there was no reason for Hawkins to pull his elbow back. He was tackled, and he handballed. why does he need to pull the elbow back? He knew Mays head was in the vicinity. you can't just throw the elbows around and call it an accident. where's the duty of care? Staggered there is no commentary around this deliberate act.

Reactions: 6 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Geelong must’ve the clumsiest footballers going round
Hawkins pushes Balta onto Soldo who suffers serious knee injury not even a free against Hawkins
Danger elbows Vlastuin to the jaw instead of tackling or bumping ... nothing to see here
Hawkins elbows May to the face it’s called accidental clumsy and they get away with it again

• Angry

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
looking at the incident closely, there was no reason for Hawkins to pull his elbow back. He was tackled, and he handballed. why does he need to pull the elbow back? He knew Mays head was in the vicinity. you can't just throw the elbows around and call it an accident. where's the duty of care? Staggered there is no commentary around this deliberate act.

yeah im staggered too.

even looking at it from their POV, other than Steven May dying on field, the 'optics'

quite literally cant get any worse,

given his eye socket is stoved in.

As you point out, who *smile* an elbow and swings it hard enough to fracture faces when being tackled?

where is the justification? what could he possibly argue? get a human movement expert to show Hawkins doing the chicken dance in his sleep?

and why not let the tribunal deliberate, rather than run the 'freak accident' line?

I just dont get the acute, ongoing contradiction between the 'protection the head' messaging

and the extraordinary inconsistency in protecting the head .

Its incompetence at best.

Reactions: 5 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
The decision to give Cunnington a week was a monumentally stupid decision by the MRO.

I am pleased to see North appealed and found themselves in front of some cogent adjudicators.

What a waste of time for all concerned.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
The Geelong “Niceness” trifecta is in full swing these days.

Selwood is too nice to duck his head but it is located unusually low on his body. Dangerfield is too nice to bump opponents high but his forearms are unusually hard and bony. Hawkins is too nice to flail his arms around in all sorts of odd directions but he does have unusually large elbows.

Their coach is too nice to complain about any of it!

Not their fault!

Sometimes, accidents just happen. In Geelong’s case, it is not a matter of sometimes, it is every time.
Mate - to be fair Selwood has one leg shorter than the other. He only looks like he leads with the neck but is actually to be applauded for playing with a severe disability. Many of the Geelong players have had the leg shortening op and I can now reveal in an exclusive that the entire west coast midfield has also had the op over the off season... so go easy. They just can’t help it

• Haha