My best side from our last 7 Premierships 1967-2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My best side from our last 7 Premierships 1967-2019

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I'm bored so sorry to be a pain if this has already been done to death!

Get to the point BLX!!!

K SheedyD ClayR Dean
D GrimesA RanceF Bourke
S EdwardsI StewartB Barrott
J RiewoldtR HartM Roach
B BrownD MartinK Bartlett
M GreenD WeightmanT Cotchin
B RichardsonK MorrisM Keane
F Swift

Reactions: 1 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Honorary Mentions to:
Neil Balme
Geoff Raines
Jimmy Jess
Josh Caddy
Mark Lee
Bachar Houli
Robert McGhie
Toby Nankervis
Bryan Wood
Tom Lynch
Nick Vlastuin

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Good effort blx. Gotta admit I had to google B. Brown. He finished in 1971 so well before my time. I have knowledge of most RFC players from that era but not him.

In light of that I'd leave him out for Prestia. I'd also replace Morris with Houli.

Hard to argue against any of the others.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Honorary Mentions to:
Neil Balme
Geoff Raines
Jimmy Jess
Josh Caddy
Mark Lee
Bachar Houli
Robert McGhie
Toby Nankervis
Bryan Wood
Tom Lynch
Nick Vlastuin

Surely Prestia as well? Even Dan Rioli.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I’d be
I would have John Northey ahead of Billy Brown. And I reckon the side is deficient a tap ruckman, so I’d opt for Mark Lee ahead of Michael Green. If there’s a spot for #37, I’d have him in the back pocket ahead of Roger Dean. Plus too many back men on the bench.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Good effort blx. Gotta admit I had to google B. Brown. He finished in 1971 so well before my time. I have knowledge of most RFC players from that era but not him.

In light of that I'd leave him out for Prestia. I'd also replace Morris with Houli.

Hard to argue against any of the others.
As a kid I had Billy Brown's picture on my bedroom wall, and Billy Barrot's number on my footy jumper.

I do agree though about Prestia coming in.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I’d be

I would have John Northey ahead of Billy Brown. And I reckon the side is deficient a tap ruckman, so I’d opt for Mark Lee ahead of Michael Green. If there’s a spot for #37, I’d have him in the back pocket ahead of Roger Dean. Plus too many back men on the bench.
Noooooo! We can't leave out Roger the Lodger.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I’d be

Billy Brown was always Bartletts 'Robin'. If I was to pick anyone to replace Brown it would probably be Rioli but I dont think he is up there... yet. I worshipped the General but the 4-1 GF pendulum is so heavily stacked in Michael Greens favor its impossible to ignore. I understand it might look like there are too many backs on the pine but on closer inspection Swift played FB the '67 granny but he spent his whole career as a utility including 15 goals from 5 games in '66. Kevin Morris kicked 48 goals in '73/'74 including 5 against the Pies and 8 against Souths. Barry Richardson played forward a lot and kicked 5 goals in a granny. That was my reasoning anyway.

Last edited:

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne

Very close. Rioli isn't up there in my eyes yet. His finals campaigns - apart from the Elim Final '17 - have been more of a defensive pressure player. Castagna came agonisingly close to announcing himself last year but no chocolates.

I see Prestia as an Andrew Gaff or Tom Mitchell type player. An accumulator. An important cog but theres some great players to jump over. Maybe soon ;)

A couple more have come to mind.

If we had of won the '82 GF then Maurice would defintely be added to the team, also my hero The General too! Boy that was a tough loss on so many levels!

And what of little old Marlion. haha

Last edited:

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I’d be

If volume has anything to do with it, surely Green gets in ahead of Lee. Four flags to one.
I wonder how many four-time premiership players have played as few as nine seasons and 146 games?
I'm guessing there would be some from Collingwood 27-30 and Melbourne from 55-60, but few others.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
If volume has anything to do with it, surely Green gets in ahead of Lee. Four flags to one.
I wonder how many four-time premiership players have played as few as nine seasons and 146 games?
I'm guessing there would be some from Collingwood 27-30 and Melbourne from 55-60, but few others.

Agree about Green deserving a spot with 4 flags.
OK he never had a possession in the first one (coz he never even got on the ground!)
But he was instrumental in the next three.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Dylan Grimes replaces Sheedy in the back pocket every day of the week. Then the big V on the back flank.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I can remember Billy Brown, but Dion has him covered after 2019. To win a b and f in a premiership team that has Dusty in it is well beyond Browny's capabilities.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Interestingly, the Club places Mike Green as back pocket in the Team of the Century, and who would challenge that? certainly, not me as that's where I proposed.
my point was about the need for a tap ruckman, hence the nomination of Mark Lee.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
B Rance Swift Grimes
HB Valistun Houli Keane
C Bourke Barrot Clay
HF Bartlett Hart Captain, Riewoldt
F Martin Lynch Roach
R Crowe Cotchin Vice Captain, Weightman
I/C Bolton Green Prestia Stewart

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I just think its fantastic to see these types of teams named and see the quantity of current( including rance ) players in the mix

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It so hard when comparing eras but there are plenty of great players not in that team

To me there is no way Raines is not there, Roach would play ahead of Reiwoldt imo and Bryan Wood would be very difficult to leave out. Others not really mentioned are David Cloke, Barry Rowlings and Robbie Wiley. Wiley was a deadset star

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
B Rance Swift Grimes
HB Valistun Houli Keane
C Bourke Barrot Clay
HF Bartlett Hart Captain, Riewoldt
F Martin Lynch Roach
R Crowe Cotchin Vice Captain, Weightman
I/C Bolton Green Prestia Stewart
Bolton?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It so hard when comparing eras but there are plenty of great players not in that team

To me there is no way Raines is not there, Roach would play ahead of Reiwoldt imo and Bryan Wood would be very difficult to leave out. Others not really mentioned are David Cloke, Barry Rowlings and Robbie Wiley. Wiley was a deadset star

This is what makes it so hard, I well remember Wiley, he was fabulous. I would put him ahead of Bolton.

DS