My best side from our last 7 Premierships 1967-2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My best side from our last 7 Premierships 1967-2019

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Biggest omission Barrot! Before my time but the Old man say he was a phenomenon, Dusty-esque and the bigger the game, the more unstoppable. Edwards huge omission yes. Disagree on Houli, Huge.

Barrot was before my time as well. Was definitely a big game player from what I hear. Also heard he was like Jekyll and Hyde. When he turned up, he was sublime, and when he didn’t, he wouldn’t hold his place in the thirds.

We will have to disagree on Houli. I love the guy, but I don’t see him ahead of Keane or Malthouse. Of the guys I didn’t even pick, Sheedy, Dean and Jess would probably be ahead of Houli.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Let me just add to that. I spent a lot of the 17 season, watching VFL and the two who most impressed were Balta and Bolton.
Balta as you would expect has been the slower developer, but we saw signs from Bolton in ‘18 and a great year for a 20 yr old in ‘19. In terms of our next 6-8 years I rate him with Castagna, Lynch and Stack.
Ball in hand and what to do next, I rate him with Dusty and Jack.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I reckon I'd go with this team, considering the need for the best players but also team balance

B Vlastuin Rance Grimes

HB Keane McGhie Malthouse

C Bourke Martin Wood

HF Wiley Hart Raines

F Bartlett Roach Riewoldt

R Green Weightman Prestia

Int: Cloke Swift Stewart Clay

Imagine any team that had any of Cloke, Swift, Clay or Stewart playing off the bench :D
Fred Swift the best exponent of the drop kick possibly ever. Fond memories of his kicks past the wings on both sides of the ground to the likes of a waiting Crowe, Patterson or Guinane. Hard at the ball and agile, he started his career at Richmond in the centre.
Also remember his performance at an AGM as I think the outgoing skipper?
It was at the Richmond Town Hall and Fred had had a few. He got to his feet and as I remember it challenged the president on the clubs decision to trade Billy Barrot. Crowd right behind him.
Mostly though I remember a game against Collingwood at Punt road in the early 60’s.
Swift was on Wiedeman at the city end. Both were 6’ - 6.1”, Wiedeman was about half a stone heavier and nearing the end of his footy, after which he immediately went into professional wrestling!
Close game a big pack in front of their goal, at the city end with both players on the ground.
Swift the delivered a big right cross which caught Wiedeman on the forehead.
He stayed down for a while as Swifty innocence all over him, walked away from the pack facing the Collingwood crowd.
I saw this from what was the old cricket club enclosure.
Wiedeman then staggers to his feet and the Collingwood people go crazy.
After a few seconds he then fell forward flat on his face and was carried from the ground.
Forget who won? but left the ground feeling it had been a great day.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Lol no Marlion ?

Good thread by the way.

Plenty of players unlucky , Houli & Prestia for instance, but over 7 premierships there is always some great players going to miss out.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I spent a lot of time thinking about Sheedy v Grimes for the team of the century update.

On paper, Sheedy's record is superior in essentially every aspect.
Tough tough tough with great footy brain but sorry he was pretty slow...
even by standards at that time.
Also very one sided and struggled to kick 45 meters.
Unlike KB, Hart, Bourke, and others, now days, would battle to stay on a list.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
RE: Sheeds, you can only compare him to the people in his era. Yes he wasn't the quickest but he wasn't the slowest either. He had so many other attributes that more than compensated for his percieved weaknesses. You can't compare him or anyone else from that era to the raw power and speed of todays players.

Grimes and Houli will be looked at as slow in 20-50 years time but that doesnt diminish how good they were in their day plus Sheeds was nominated the Backpocket for the team of the century so finer minds than us have mulled over this with a fine tooth comb.

Its all subjective anyway and I like the Pub Test vibe of the conversation.

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I doubt Grimes will be thought of as slow in any era, he is very very quick.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Wiley was brilliant - I’d have him in.
I watched some of the 1980 grannie the other day. Wiley kicked the goal of the grand final imo which was an astonishing 50 metre left foot running goal from way out on the flank (remembering he was a right footer) in the 3rd quarter.
Even better than the one when KB made Magro look like a chump late in the game.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Very close. Rioli isn't up there in my eyes yet. His finals campaigns - apart from the Elim Final '17 - have been more of a defensive pressure player. Castagna came agonisingly close to announcing himself last year but no chocolates.

I see Prestia as an Andrew Gaff or Tom Mitchell type player. An accumulator. An important cog but theres some great players to jump over. Maybe soon ;)

A couple more have come to mind.

If we had of won the '82 GF then Maurice would defintely be added to the team, also my hero The General too! Boy that was a tough loss on so many levels!

And what of little old Marlion. haha
I think you need to review Rioli finals performances, 4G in 2017 pre lim . Was good across ,last years series too

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Tough tough tough with great footy brain but sorry he was pretty slow...
even by standards at that time.
Also very one sided and struggled to kick 45 meters.
Unlike KB, Hart, Bourke, and others, now days, would battle to stay on a list.
Harsh. Sheeds was a better player than that imo. I would however put Grimes ahead of him, his versatility wins the day.
If we were picking the niggle team of the century Sheeds would be first picked, just ask Robert Walls amongst many others.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Harsh. Sheeds was a better player than that imo. I would however put Grimes ahead of him, his versatility wins the day.
If we were picking the niggle team of the century Sheeds would be first picked, just ask Robert Walls amongst many others.

Sheedy was deservedly in the Team of the Century as a back pocket - but played a lot of footy as a half-forward and on the ball.
Forget his doings at Essendon - he was a great Tiger

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I watched some of the 1980 grannie the other day. Wiley kicked the goal of the grand final imo which was an astonishing 50 metre left foot running goal from way out on the flank (remembering he was a right footer) in the 3rd quarter.
Even better than the one when KB made Magro look like a chump late in the game.
No doubt Sin. I mentioned Rob's amazing goal earlier in the thread. He was one of the first two-sided players I remember seeing. Very hard to compare eras, but I would have Wiley in the team for sure.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
A very tough task to pick this team. I went through the 7 Premiership teams and picked out players who I thought deserved consideration mainly due to their performances in the Premierships. I also tried to pick players in their best positions and thinking about if the team actually played another team. For example, I had Barry Richardson on the interchange due to his versatility to be able to play back or forward. Apologies to Fred Swift, Robbie McGhie, Ian Stewart, Bryan Wood, Neil Balme, Barry Rowlings, Jim Jess, David Cloke and Daniel Rioli (as the pressure forward).

B:SheedyClayGrimes
HB:HouliRanceKeane
C:BourkeBarrotRaines
HF:BartlettHartMartin
F:WileyRiewoldtRoach
Foll:GreenCotchinWeightman
Inter:DeanPrestiaB.RichardsonEdwards

Reactions: 2 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Fun fact: In the 7 Grand Finals that KB played, he had 152 kicks and 5 handballs. In the 5 Premiership wins, KB had 113 kicks and 3 handballs, 2 of those handballs were in the 1967 Premiership and the other one to Barry Rowlings , who kicked a goal late in the 1980 Grand Final.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users