My Nightmare @ Subi | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My Nightmare @ Subi

P

PuntRoadRoar

Ok guys,

Lets be honest here, I'm pissed bigtime, living in Perth I generally only get to see my team play once, twice or not even at all some years so seeing that kind of performance tonight brought forward a whole bunch of emotions ranging from being proud early, then worried, concerned, anger , bitter then acceptance.

rosy you asked for a run down of the events well here goes:

Parked my car with my cousin (who is an eagles supporter and his best mate) walked down Hay Street a few hours before the game, wasting some time, i was ribbing them about what a fantastic game it should be and how its been 5 years since they last beat us. Then a large white bus come down hay street at about that moment, i must admit i was at first suprised but then i notice who was in the bus.. IT WAS THE MIGHTY RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB !!!! i was like 1 meter away from the boys, as they rolled passed, rodan and andy kellaway were giving us the right stare some looked down right angry, it was a real buzz and i pumped my fist up and yelled CARN THE TIGERS!!! as i was decked out in my complete YELLOW & BLACK colours... hey i was as pysched the boys looked.

Finally got into subi sat down behind the goals at the city end, watched as the many eagle supporters flocked in as the sheep generally do, i kept an eye out for the tiger fans that trickled in as the pre-game warm up occurred, i must say there was quite a few tiger faithful, the mighty RFC cheer squad was a tier up behind me and that excited me immensley, their singing is great!!!!.

Well as we all know, the game started eagles nailed the first, i was "oh well only the first goal", we kicked the next one they got 2 more and i wasnt to happy about that, but the boys came back and before i knew it we were in front and playing strong footy. Theres something that you pick up in interstate matches and thats how concerned a home crowd get when they arent kicking every single goal.. and for that first quarter, they were absolutely concerned, the silence was deafening.

Most eagle supporters after the match would disagree and say they were never concerned blah blah, let me tell you they were shitting themselves. I too was taken back considering campbell was on the sidelines, no stafford and coughlan before the matched started.

I at that moment wasnt getting 2 carried away, i have witnessed the eagles first hand way too many times to know that this game was over, i just wished someone had informed danny and the boys. we went into qrt time a few points up and i was very happy and so too were the richmond supporters around subi.

but thats when it dried up, we got the first goal and looked great but it stopped from there i sank, hoping this wouldnt occur but the eagles crowd lifted like with each goal 1 goal down then 2 then 3 4 5 6, the nightmare had begun. there were that many eagle supporters jumping on i swear i couldnt have counted the number of bandwagons lining up in the middle of subi.

All i could do was shake my head, i mean apart from trying an occassional "come on the tigers" which in a crowd of 40 odd thousand people only carried about 5 rows forward and 5 rows back.

We got slaughtered out of the middle, from the stoppages, we just could get first use of the ball and they just kept pumping the ball into their forward line and it was just to much for our strong defence to handle, the pace in which the eagles players would run away from our own was very concerning, it seemed like we had no answer to the constant wave of attacks.

it was about at the time, when we went 7 goals down that i began 2 get a bit annoyed and frustrated, i mean how many times does our great team promise so much and deliever little when the pressure to perform is really on us. I know for myself and probably every richmond supporter the thing that gets up my nose is the critics who have a go at us for not performing when it counts... reality checks they love to call it. IT PISSES ME OFF, i know we are better than that hell we proved it in the first quarter

now all the critics will be like i told you so, and that stinks. Anyway after i got over getting angry at the way we went 10 goals down, i began to really feel for the boys, they were copping a ribbing, and richo copes a pasting from everyone and the guy tries his heart out, to kick 4 goals from limited opportunities he needs to be applauded, i mean what does he have to do to get some credit? 30 possession 15 marks 8goals ????

anyway id dribble on about the rest of the match but then i'd be playing out the motions, we are very lucky we didnt lose by more.

I dont know if you guys feel my pain but the worst thing in perth is your team losing to any team over here, it makes me puke, they love both teams so much and give them the biggest raps with each win you would swear reading the papers it was world war II and the german propaganda machine was in full swing.

the most disappointing thing was know how good michael gardiner was, and that poor royce vardy had to go up against him. West coast must of been laughing, they showed us no respect they took gardiner off and playing Cox. seriously what was the richmond brains trust thinking? it doesnt suprise me that i found out they won 60 - 13 from the stoppages, hell theyhad the ball basically rammed down thier throats from the ruckman.

and i dont know about you but i think clinton king is the biggest waste of space in our team, ok so he gets the hard play, then kicks it..... but where does it go??? ill tell you to an opponent i swear sometimes he is colour blind and if it doesnt become a mongrel kick ahead its a perfect kick out of bounds.

Im just sick to death of getting my hopes up and then having to accept that *smile* perfomance, ok we fought back... big deal the game was long gone by then.

our best 2 players tonight was kane johnson and matthew richardson. the young guys newman and zantuck learnt tonight a lesson in what happens if your not maning up on your respective opponent and can only get better from that experiance.

We were seriously undermanned but when does that excuse begin to wear a bit thin? I love the richmond footy club to death but last nights performance i feel i was cheated.

We need to bounce back this week against sydney and *smile* that stupid "cant win after the week in perth" bull crap statistic thats floating around at the moment, and the tigers to bounce back after once again everyone has written us off.

:mad:

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks for the report of your subi experience PRR although the ending isn't probably the one you were hoping to write. It was bad enough listening to those biased morons on the radio. It's a thousand times worse having to watch it live so I can understand you being ticked off. Been to a Crows home game and it's the worst footy feeling when they with the crowd get on a roll.

We went into the game without a ruckman against the best ruckman in the league and got thumped as the Eagle midfield were given the ball on a platter. Something like 62 to our 16 times. Worse still was the Eagles could rest Gardiner for long periods and Cox still got plenty of hitouts. Poor Vardy had to do it on his own for the whole game and he's not even a ruckman. . Blame for that situation goes to not picking up a spare tall in the rookie draft and relying on injured players to back up injured players before we even stepped out onto the park. The underman excuse might sound lame as critics can say we've been undermanned all year yet have been competitive but last night our structure was completely non-existent which hasn't been the case in our previous matches.

It's still only one loss and in Perth so not going to lose sleep on it. Hard to tell if we are that far behind the top sides given the players and more importantly type of players we had out. The test will be next week to see if we hit back after this loss.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
mightytiges said:
Poor Vardy had to do it on his own for the whole game and he's not even a ruckman. . Blame for that situation goes to not picking up a spare tall in the rookie draft and relying on injured players to back up injured players before we even stepped out onto the park.

That is spot on Mighty Tiges. We had the chance of picking up former Sydney swan and current Fremantle ruckman Ricky Mott. He played seventeen games in his first season and showed some real potential. Now he is languishing in the WAFL. It was embarassing going into a game without a ruckman. It was a situation more akin to junior footy than a professional unit in the AFL.

Anyway....

You sound really demoralised by the loss PuntRoadRoar. I must say I feel pretty gutted myself at the moment. But if we are serious with ourselves we lost the game before the bounce. You just cannot compete with 5 of your ten best players absent. We had no Campbell, Stafford, Coughlan, Holland, or Ottens. Not to mention the likes of Fleming getting injured, Blumfield still injured, Hall injured and Kellaway still on the way back.

Had we had that bunch in, I think the Eagles would have been in big, big trouble, even on their own dung heap. The good news is that we can potentially get all those players back and firing come finals and give it a really good crack. We should really switch on the afterburners in the second half of the season, so keep your head up... ;)

GO TIGES!!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for the report PRR. I have to admit I was glad I was snuggled up at home by the fire watching that one rather than being at the ground.

I know how you're feeling though. It's a pretty lonely gutting feeling losing to interstate teams on their home ground.

I usually go to one or two interstate games a year, but it must be worse when they are the only games you get to see.

Your obviously heartfelt post is great. For those who question why people haven't bought memberships, this feeling is a lot to do with it.

People are sick of the heartbreak. Of Richmond promising so much but not delivering. Losing to the bottom of the ladder Saints and Blues last year was about as low as it gets.

We were a massively undermanned team playing against the odds last night so I am not saying the game was comparable to last year, but the feeling probably was. It's still the kind of feeling that has deterred some people from buying memberships.

I doubt we'll sell too many more this season. If we play finals and perform well then I expect memberships will sky rocket next season.

There's so much riding on Richmond having a good season this year. It's sad we didn't seem to learn much of a lesson from our injury losses last season. Surely we could have picked up one re-cycled tall as insurance for an area where we were caught out so badly last season.

At least this season our injury depleted team has performed admirably and have some wins in the bank. Please be kinder to us in future you almighty injury Gods.....We've had more than our fair share.

Go Tiges.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Getign drunk on Bourbon helped ease my pain whilst watching it. Jsut lucky there was about 10 of us , 3 were actually Richmond supporters. We were never going to win once Staff and Cogs pulled out. Sad but true. We were good early, i am not too concerned, oponly concerned by our ridiculous number of soft tissue injuries we seem to continue getting. There is something wrong there.

sammy gal

JEALOUSY IS A MAJOR CURSE.........SUCKERS!!!
May 22, 2003
PRR............LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT , A GAME OF FOOTY IS NOT WON/LOST ON THE FIRST QUARTER PERFORMANCE.

YOU WERE VERY FOOLISH IN BECOMING SOOOOOO EXCITED AT RICHMONDS COUPLE OF POINTS LEAD.

JUST QUIT WITH THE WHINING WILL YOU.....IT DIDNT MATTER IF YOU HAD A FULL TEAM , WE STILL WOULD OF FLOGGED YOUR ASS.

ROUND 18 YOU WILL GET FLOGGED AGAIN BY FREMANTLE , IF YOU HAVE A FULL TEAM OR NOT.

HELL WE HAVE WON GAMES WITHOUT OUR GREAT PLAYERS......*smile* THATS A MAJOR COPOUT.

FACE IT YOUR PRETENDERS AND FRAWLEY'S MUG SPELT THAT OUT PLAIN AND CLEAR IN THE COACHES BOX ON SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Sammy you are becoming a bore.

Noone is inrterested in you dredging this up. We've moved on.

I just checked your site and I can see why you need to come here for some kind of footy talk. The main input on your site has been because of people here.

You are welcome to talk footy here but this is a warning that it's not acceptable to post everything in capitals like you do.

Please stop it and post normally, there will be no second warning. :mad:

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
*smile* off to your own site Sammy Gal you stupid little girl.

Well done on beating the Richmond reserves I'm sure we would have pumped you by 10 goals if you had 7 of your best 22 out you moron. We'll see what happens next time when we play you at the G.

It's no secret that your side won there 2 flags in the 90s with the help of steroids.....have a look at Jakovich the drugs have already caught up with his ticker, you bloody cheats.

Goodbye.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
sorry about my language and direct tone on my previous post Tiger fans.

I don't think she will be coming back.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Tigerdog said in another post:

"Maybe we should send our skinny blokes to WA for a year... they have a team full of Adonis's ssss ss ss s s
Whats the deal with that? Are the skinny kids so ashamed of how puny their bodies are once they train with the senior guys a few times that they decide, right thats it all I am doing this summer and winter and next summer is weights. And then 16 months later another adonis rolls off the weevils production line!"

I think The Boss may have your answer to that one Tigerdog.

Can't really be sure if they took steroids but i must say it looked suspect given that they were far larger than the next team around the period when they won the flags.

By the way, Brisbane's players appear larger than your average team at the moment as well. Maybe that's to do with the fact that their list has more older and thus more matured players on it. But I did hear off somebody that Lynch was using steroids to overcome chronic fatigue syndrome.. hmmm...

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
JohnF said:
But I did hear off somebody that Lynch was using steroids to overcome chronic fatigue syndrome.. hmmm...

That's a bit unfair JohnF. Lynch did face the tribunal for taking a banned substance and was cleared and not suspended.

Lynch was taking one of the prescribed medications for CFS. It contained a banned substance (not a steriod as such). As soon as he found out about it he contacted the AFL and they reported him. His doctor was to blame for being a moron (a bit like another famous sportsmen) and not checking the banned substance list. Lynch never failed a drug test - he came forward. So I think it is unfair to suggest that Lynch took steroids.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Fair enough Koalalil, didn't know much about it, just remember someone going off saying Lynch put on ten kilos of bulk taking steroids when he was suffering from CFS.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
JohnF said ...Can't really be sure if they took steroids but i must say it looked suspect given that they were far larger than the next team around the period when they won the flags.
Maybe they did back then maybe they didn't who cares now... my point is even their modern players pump up quickly and as we all know it'd be crazy to suggest they are doing anything illegal now (unless they are just plain stupid) but why do they have barely any skinny kids? Or if they do, they dont stay that way for long!

P

PuntRoadRoar

Sammy gal

yeah yeah yawn yawn move on girl

I already have, Richmond play Swans this Week

Go Tiges !!!!

sammy gal

JEALOUSY IS A MAJOR CURSE.........SUCKERS!!!
May 22, 2003
When the fish are biting why move on ;D

Thanks for the dons link..............I shall wreak some of my havoc over yonder 8)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Sammy Gal is doing a good job of upsetting the Bomber fans ... I popped in there yesterday to check on her progress... Oh yeah and by the way they seem to think over there that Chris Judd is in the bag.
Tried to have a look at the swans site also but couldn't get in... anyone else have this trouble?