My PC has a virus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My PC has a virus

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
G'day people who know about computers. ;D
I need your help.
The other day I got a virus through email. I can't remember the name of it, but evry now and then my PC goes all crazy.. the cursor won't work or disappears and I get mirror images of the screen. Also things open up and shutdown at will. The only way to stop it seems to be to re-start the pc.
I am running the latest version of AGV and Nortons also. I have Ad-aware and Spybot also. So why aren't Norton and AGV picking this virus up?

On a seperate note... standby for some soundcard installation questions. :(

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I can't help you Td but I was told by a tech guy that I should never have 2 anti virus programs running at the same time because they can be in conflict with each other and not work properly. Don't know if that's correct or not but I'm sure some kind person will happen along with assistance soon. :)

Ghost Who Walks

Who Are You
Sep 25, 2004
Canberra
Tigerdog said:
I need your help.
The other day I got a virus through email. I can't remember the name of it, but evry now and then my PC goes all crazy.. the cursor won't work or disappears and I get mirror images of the screen. Also things open up and shutdown at will. The only way to stop it seems to be to re-start the pc.
I am running the latest version of AGV and Nortons also. I have Ad-aware and Spybot also. So why aren't Norton and AGV picking this virus up?

TD

You should only have one anti-virus software installed on your PC.

Unistall your AGV and make sure you update you Norton AV software.

Go to the following site and run this.

It will scan your HD and fix any problems

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true&bhcp=1

Then click Virus Scan

Merry Christmas :D

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Tigerdog said:
I need your help.

TD, two things... 1, Rosy was informed correctly that it's best to run only one AV program at a time as they will conflict with each other if they are doing realtime system protection. SOmetimes it's good to perform a scan with different AV programs as one may pick up what the other misses but just remember to only run one of them with realtime protection.
Secondly, some of the symptoms you are having may not be virus related but a hardware or system fault. Most viruses and trojans these days are more inclined to clog up your systems processes or start sending personal information out onto the internet via keystroke trojans etc... The mirror images on the screen sounds like a hardware fault or a display driver issue to me.
If you are running XP, download Service Pack 2 as it has a pretty solid albeit clunky software firewall built in.

TD can you give me a full breakdown on what your system consists of eg OS, processor, ram, graphics card, Soundcard etc.. and I will be able to help you out more. Feel free to PM or email me anytime.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Tigerdog,

run your PC in safemode and then do a virus scan.

To boot your PC in safemode, hit and hold F5 when booting your PC.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Thanks nwonash.
I will send you a message about it all later on.
But it seems Tiga may have been right.

My Hard disk is full apparently.
Are the symptoms described above consistent with a full hard drive?
How much does a better one cost :D LOL

Oh yeah and how can I restore win2k to a previous setting?
I hadn't backed up and lost IE explorer and a few related things.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
TD, reboot and hold down F8 and a menu should come up with an option to load last known good configuration. If the system is encountering errors this may help however I don't think it will restore applications that you may have deleted.

You can get some wierd symptoms when drive storage is low as virtual memory requires hard drive space to function properly. The first thing I would do is to delete all you temporary internet files and other temp files as this will free up some very important drive space. Secondly, run defrag (in safe mode) as this will also give you more drive space.

As far as Hard drives go you can run a second hard drive on your system but make sure it is configured as a "slave" and not "master" as you don't want any IDE conflicts. Let me know if you would like me to step you through this.

Cheers

Tiga

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tiga :D

I need you :D

I have so many problems with this PC at the moment.

When I get the chance I will message you with a list :(

I know about the whole master and slave settings... that is the easy bit. It is getting it all to work and take into account the conflicting advice etc, that I find the toughest.
I don't deal well with command prompts either ;) If thats what they are eveb called. ::)