Nathan Freeman…….Any takers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan Freeman…….Any takers

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I would think insurance against an injury to, say, David Ashbury, is the highest priority.

We are covered in the ruck, no problems. CCJ and Chol also provide cover against Lynch and Jack being injured so that is all good. At a pinch, Balta can go forward as long as we have other defensive options.

The midfield has been exposed but only because they all got injured together. Losing the equivalent of Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton and Lambert at the same time would be an issue at any club. Take Treloar, Dunkley, McRae, Bontempelli and Liberatore out of the Bulldogs for a few weeks and see how many games they win. Or even just Oliver, Viney, Bradshaw and Petracca out of Melbourne. Basically, we were left with Dusty and Graham for a few games, our midfield handled the crisis as well as any team could.

If we lose Astbury and one other tall defender for an extended period and we are looking at Miller and Biggie, both of whom have not played seniors yet and Garthwaite who is not big enough.

This is the priority for this draft.
I was pleasantly surprised at miller’s agility/speed/footy brain watching him in the seconds. He’s 2m and looks in good form. I am less concerned about our back up tall defenders than I was. No need to be alarmed just yet. Although I am no expert...

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I would think insurance against an injury to, say, David Ashbury, is the highest priority.

We are covered in the ruck, no problems. CCJ and Chol also provide cover against Lynch and Jack being injured so that is all good. At a pinch, Balta can go forward as long as we have other defensive options.

The midfield has been exposed but only because they all got injured together. Losing the equivalent of Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton and Lambert at the same time would be an issue at any club. Take Treloar, Dunkley, McRae, Bontempelli and Liberatore out of the Bulldogs for a few weeks and see how many games they win. Or even just Oliver, Viney, Bradshaw and Petracca out of Melbourne. Basically, we were left with Dusty and Graham for a few games, our midfield handled the crisis as well as any team could.

If we lose Astbury and one other tall defender for an extended period and we are looking at Miller and Biggie, both of whom have not played seniors yet and Garthwaite who is not big enough.

This is the priority for this draft.
The only one of the kids I think who can be a good AFL key defender is Biggie TOT , and I think he needs atleast another 2 seasons to be anywhere near DTLDs level , better athlete yes, footy nous no.

Reactions: 1 user

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised at miller’s agility/speed/footy brain watching him in the seconds. He’s 2m and looks in good form. I am less concerned about our back up tall defenders than I was. No need to be alarmed just yet. Although I am no expert...
Recorded 2.91 second 20m sprint (equal 3rd overall) and 8.10 second agility test (equal 1st) in his draft year, so yeah you can say he's got these two covered especially as a KPD. Also scored equal 1st for goalkickicking accuracy. https://www.afl.com.au/news/147783/draft-combine-results-top-10-for-every-test

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Article yesterday stated Richmond is the only chance for Freeman and Stengle. If it comes to a choice, hope we punt on Freeman.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Now with Cotch out.
Freeman for sure.
Might even play.
Must admit, this line of thinking did cross my mind, too.

Of all the players on our list, would Houli, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Edwards perhaps be the most likely to stay home to support their families should things continue to go awry?

Couple of decent midfielders in that lot. If it were a 50-50 choice around Callow, Freeman and Durham, I reckon Freeman is firming by the minute.