Neil Balme - Bring him back | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Neil Balme - Bring him back

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Is mrs Hardwick in the hub?

I reckon dimma needs her calming, balanced influence. Similar to what Balme provides the whole football department.

No, The Hardwicks and some other Admin Staff and some players with kids Bachar etc, (except Cotch), have moved into the Pines I have been told due to accommodation limitations with our own Hub.
Therein in could lie a problem? a few authority figures and some mature players not around casting a watchful eye.

Would be hard for Cotch to come down hard and read the riot act too after the Brooke breach.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Tim Livingstone is the only living with the players.
Who I'd imagine is under the gun I think at present.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Love Balmey, will always love the bloke for what he’s done for the club.

But dare I say it ... have we moved on?

Or perhaps a more diplomatic question - is his work done?

Reactions: 1 user

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Poor form by the club , Balme should have been 1st on the plane ...

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
need to set up a 'go fund me page' to get him to the CG .ASAP!!

calm head with experience is needed at the moment

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I need a calm head with experience in the chair I currently occupy. There are a lot of chairs like that. :D

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
No, The Hardwicks and some other Admin Staff and some players with kids Bachar etc, (except Cotch), have moved into the Pines I have been told due to accommodation limitations with our own Hub.
Therein in could lie a problem? a few authority figures and some mature players not around casting a watchful eye.

Would be hard for Cotch to come down hard and read the riot act too after the Brooke breach.
One would hope that arrangement has changed now..
Hopefully the club is not relying on the threat of a 10 game ban to keep players in line and has made signifigant changes.

I wonder if we are the only club split up or others in same boat?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Balmey seems to be on the outer. Not convinced he will be at the Tigers long term

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Better off at Brisbane. He's better in the ruck than McInerney and far better forward than Hipwood.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Sure, he's 70yo, but the way ruck/forward talent is declining Balme could go another fifteen. It's either him or CJ and I think CJ has more improvement notwithstanding the irredeemable gap in kebab stink talent.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Stronger and Bolder.

An addendum.

By Konrad Marshall

Written in 2019, and re-edited in September 2020 as the Tigers wind up for their finals series in the Queensland COVID-19 isolation hub.

Preface:
I had written this one page chapter just before the finals in 2019, but on the advice of my editors we removed it from the final version of the book. What is interesting is the impact of the 2020 season on the mindsets and pre-game rituals of the Tigers, and one aspect in particular that has changed this year.

I hope you enjoy it.

Vanilla slices and the pre-game Buddah.

It is no secret that Neil Balme loves a vanilla slice. In fact it is rumoured his addiction the the sweet, custardy deliciousness accounts for 0.01% of the Tigers annual soft cap spending. It is a rare day indeed that Balmy is not seen wandering the halls of the club HQ, the remnants of sticky vanilla or lemon icing on his fingers and pastry crumbs on his woolen jumper. No one single person is responsible for making sure that Balmy's desk on level 2 has a fresh supply of the tasty comestible in question ready and waiting for his morning snack when he arrives at the club just after 10:00am. In fact, there is a roster on the wall outside his door with the names of the personnel who have the responsibility for the day to duck off down to the Richmond Pie Shop on Swan St. Yesterday it was young Jack Higgins job to get the tray of slices, and today is is Beryl in accounts. I've had my name up there as well and it is one way you know that the Tigers have taken you to their collective hearts.

But the role of the humble, delicious vanilla slice is even more important on game day. Every game day Balmy has an extra slice just before the walk to the MCG or before leaving to go to whatever ground the Tigers are playing on when scheduled away from the MCG. This is his pre-game ritual and preparation.

Once he arrives in the rooms at the ground he has his game face on. Sometimes his game face includes small crumbs of pastry hanging on for grim life in his beard. Other times his jumper also holds the pastry evidence. And it these very crumbs that form one of the most important elements of the Tigers preparation. Because at the and of the coaches final address in the meeting room, hidden away from the broadcaster's cameras, with only the players, the emergencies, senior and line coaches in attendance do the Tigers perform their last, ritualistic act before committing their minds and bodies, their skills and courage, to the game.

It is called the pre-game Buddah.

Balmy brushes any remaining crumbs from his beard and they fall, to nestle comfortably oh his jumper, which sits, stretched somewhat, over his considerable, vanilla slice enhanced, stomach. And the players, youngest first, then the oldest, followed by the emergencies, the coaches in ascending order of seniority and finally the head coach, Dimma, walk past Neil Balme and each brush a crumb off his stomach and intone the words "Buddah Balmy".

I witnessed this ritual only the once. In the last home and away game against Brisbane at the MCG prior to the 2019 finals. I was invited in to the meeting and I sat up the back trying to be as unobtrusive as possible as the team and the coaches received their last instructions, and then performed the "Buddah Balmy". All the players and coaches filed out leaving just me and Neil. He motioned me down from my seat in the back row and said, "Out you go Konrad". And, as I left the room I reached out to brush the last remaining crumbs from his ample, jumper covered, belly. Balmy grabbed my wrist in a vice-like grip and growled "Don't you bloody dare!", and stared into my eyes until I dropped my gaze and submitted to the leader of the pack.

"Bloody Jack Reiwoldt started this just after I joined the club. And all the players know that I will *smile* end them if they do the wrong thing and this is my way of reminding them."

I swallowed down a lump of fear from my throat as Balmy reached into his backpack and pulled out a grease-proof paper wrapped vanilla slice, handed it to me and said "Write a good book Konrad. You know what will happen if you don't".

Yes, Mr Balme", I said and walked out of the room into the hustle and bustle of the change room just as the team completed their stretching exercises.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users