Neil Balme - Bring him back | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Neil Balme - Bring him back

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Apparently they much preferred to be on their own.
BG said in an interview that the decision was taken in trying to help reduce the costs to the AFL.
Right. How nice of us. And lovely how Gill showed their appreciation with by far the harshest penalties for Covid breaches? Are they fair compared to the Colonwood ones?

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
It’s being reported on 3AW that Balmey is off to Crows. Not happy Jan.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
It’s being reported on 3AW that Balmey is off to Crows. Not happy Jan.
Drums are beating louder.
Heard it a while ago and posted it.
We find ourselves again contemplating losing him .

Will be so disappointed if this eventuates.

Reactions: 1 user

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Drums are beating louder.
Heard it a while ago and posted it.
We find ourselves again contemplating losing him .

Will be so disappointed if this eventuates.

Very disappointing
He had a huge part in turning us around to become the club we are now. He should be at RFC for life

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Hope we don't loose him. Collingwood made the mistake of demoting him and he came to us and played a critical role in calming the ship. I think we are too age focused in Australian sport. Bill Belichick is about the same age and he still goes all right. Would hate to see him at the Power Rangers.

• Sad

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Like many involved in our turn around and leap to dominance, I don't begrudge them if they decide to move on. They have accomplished what they set out to do in a way I doubt anyone thought they could. Eternal thanks for everything.

Also happier to see him go to a basket-case like Crows rather than a potential near term premiership threat. Will be fun to see how Balme and Ricciuto get along

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Listened to Balmey speak when he initially was given his over arching role of Senior Club Advisor.

Didn't appear to have cracked it then and was quick to add that we wanted to retain other highly rated people like Blair Hartley etc.

I think he's already given us a year more than he intended and if he get's a nice little boost to his super, then I for one don't begrudge him and will forever feel grateful for his role in us becoming a powerhouse again.

It's nearly like..... we broke that club.... Let's go fix it.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the power can't win it before the crows come good!

I've always loved Balmey regardless of whether he's been with us or against us.... probably how I'll view Dimma, if and when he leaves to coach elsewhere!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yes Balmey had an immediate and calming impact and the success is there for all to see.

Part of bringing Balmey to Richmond was to mentor the demoted Dan Richardson who had NFI.

Thankfully the baton was never passed back to Richardson as after winning the 2017 Premiership Essendon in their wisdom thought they had poached the next big thing to Balmey, (that's turned out well :rotfl1 ).

After the 2019 Premiership succession plan two was enacted basically splitting Balmey's role between Tim Livingston and Blair Hartley and shunting Balmey to a role he may or may not have been happy with. What he wouldn't have been happy about would being stuck back in Melbourne behind a desk away from the hub hustle and bustle and interaction with coaches and players.
Covid has given him plenty of time for reflection.

Hope he stays.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
The good doctor knows and I have an appointment Monday will ask the question.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Seems he has been sidelined to some extent. Heard rumblings from within that internally not loved as much as externally.

• Wow

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yes Balmey had an immediate and calming impact and the success is there for all to see.

Part of bringing Balmey to Richmond was to mentor the demoted Dan Richardson who had NFI.

Thankfully the baton was never passed back to Richardson as after winning the 2017 Premiership Essendon in their wisdom thought they had poached the next big thing to Balmey, (that's turned out well :rotfl1 ).

After the 2019 Premiership succession plan two was enacted basically splitting Balmey's role between Tim Livingston and Blair Hartley and shunting Balmey to a role he may or may not have been happy with. What he wouldn't have been happy about would being stuck back in Melbourne behind a desk away from the hub hustle and bustle and interaction with coaches and players.
Covid has given him plenty of time for reflection.

Hope he stays.
From memory, I think it was Balmey's suggestion for him to move sideways, giving Livingston and Hartley the opportunity to broaden their roles. I think it was mentioned that it might prevent them being poached by other clubs.

I hope he stays too, Richmond is his home.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
From memory, I think it was Balmey's suggestion for him to move sideways, giving Livingston and Hartley the opportunity to broaden their roles. I think it was mentioned that it might prevent them being poached by other clubs.

I hope he stays too, Richmond is his home.

Whoever's suggestion it was it was all about a succession plan which is soundly based.

Here is what was said at the time.

Reactions: 4 users