Neil Balme - Bring him back | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Neil Balme - Bring him back

realtiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 28, 2007
Since Balmy has been banished from the club on game day ( due to COVID) we haven’t looked like it!! He has always been the calming voice , the gel keeping everything under control and everyone together.This needs to be reversed !

Reactions: 4 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Can we get Caracella in on the Zoom too please.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
In hindsight I think the club will regret not having Balme up in the hub. At times like this he is the perfect person to keep the wolves at bay but also provide that calming influence to the group.
You can’t have enough leaders in times like this.

Reactions: 7 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Can't beat experience and in this day and age where it seems to be out with the old and in with the young, here's the classic and common outcome. Why Neil Balme, with his experience, knowledge and intelligence was left at home when we're domiciling 70-80 players, staff and families in a hub for 2-3 months whilst trying to compete to win a flag is beyond me. He should have been the first one approached to go and basically head up the operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Tim Livingston will be feeling the heat.
Even though this was Neil's suggestion in promoting Livingston and Hartley.
The disconnect is having the players in one place and some senior people in another.
We went the route of keeping all our coaching assistants on, whether this has had an impact, who knows.
I'd say there will be a review seasons end.
Speaking to a board member yesterday, interesting times.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think this has been a huge miss not having Balmey there. Unless it was his choice, he’s getting on and there may be some underlying health issues that make him a risk. But Hartley and Livingstone need to step up. Now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
as has been explained before his age put him in a risk category so the medical decision was taken for him to stay in Melbourne.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I reckon the off-field drama stuff is a bit overblown.
2 20yos went out on the town when they shouldnt have. yep- they have been punished.
The Captains wife made a mistake. as she posted the mistake im guessing she didnt know the rules. *smile* happens.
A few dual premiership players expressed concern about spending months away from family prior to heading up, and 2 stayed with pregnant wives. Fair enough.
Hardwick had a go at a few media fools for carrying on about Lynch. probably not the right response but no big deal.

This all sounds like an average week for a few other clubs.

Reactions: 10 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I reckon the off-field drama stuff is a bit overblown.
2 20yos went out on the town when they shouldnt have. yep- they have been punished.
The Captains wife made a mistake. as she posted the mistake im guessing she didnt know the rules. *smile* happens.
A few dual premiership players expressed concern about spending months away from family prior to heading up, and 2 stayed with pregnant wives. Fair enough.
Hardwick had a go at a few media fools for carrying on about Lynch. probably not the right response but no big deal.

This all sounds like an average week for a few other clubs.
Overblown. Maybe? But it’s no coincidence that under Balmes watch we were squeaky clean.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Poor decision who ever made it really poor considering these issues have been a weekly habit of late minor or major like yesterday.Club needs to wear that.The best football operator in the land atleast should have gone up with Benny and Co this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’ll just put this here as Balmeys the man .

Is it better with the list shortening to let a top 12 player go so we keep 3 20-25 type players or vice versa. Super tough decisions to be made , we are right in the window and won’t replace Cotch, Jack, Houli, Edwards in a hurry , however we also up and coming stars like Bolton, Baker and Balta who we must keep for now and the next decade

in Balmey we trust

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I’ll just put this here as Balmeys the man .

Is it better with the list shortening to let a top 12 player go so we keep 3 20-25 type players or vice versa. Super tough decisions to be made , we are right in the window and won’t replace Cotch, Jack, Houli, Edwards in a hurry , however we also up and coming stars like Bolton, Baker and Balta who we must keep for now and the next decade

in Balmey we trust

Problem is Balmey has basically been demoted with the club bringing in the understudies for the future, the club should have realized that the Premiership future is now :rolleyes:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Problem is Balmey has basically been demoted with the club bringing in the understudies for the future, the club should have realized that the Premiership future is now :rolleyes:
I’d imagine Balmey will still be sought for “ advice” no matter what his role is

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Overblown. Maybe? But it’s no coincidence that under Balmes watch we were squeaky clean.

Broad's incident happened under Balme's watch didn't it?

Having said that, I'm a bit confused why Balme was moved sideways. Was a bit strange.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Is mrs Hardwick in the hub?

I reckon dimma needs her calming, balanced influence. Similar to what Balme provides the whole football department.

• Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
or a coincidence that this incident happened when they players are under the most stress and scrutiny of any footballers, ever. (Not making an excuse for them.)
if you believe we have had issues, you could also point to the loss of Rance, Edwards and Houli from the playing group for most of this year.