New 3 Year Deal For Benny Gale | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New 3 Year Deal For Benny Gale

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Spot on, Zirtec!

Also our board rules need changing.

Why is Peggy leaving?
Because of a club rule or law?
Sorry, this is wrong.

If you have the best person in the job they should stay and not leave because of some regeneration attempt.
If it ain't broke...

I understand the downside of this like in politics eg the Russian dude, Vlad.
And just recently the China bloke.
Power hungry, etc. etc.

This does not apply to our wonderful Peggy.
Moving her on because she has reached the end of a specified term is just wrong.
You should have seen the idiots a couple of AGM's ago complaining why Peggy was getting an extension without them getting a vote. She would have been gone before now if it was up to them :rolleyes:
Yep the constitution means we have to move good people on for no good reason.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I fully understand the feelings regarding Peggy but a few things to keep in mind:

Everyone has a use by date in terms of their ideas, methods and beliefs. People would have said we had the best people in these jobs in the 70s, but the methods they used to achieve success then nearly destroyed our club in the 80s. In hindsight, we needed to freshen things up but success blinded us to the changing environment of the VFL at the time.

I would love Peggy to stay on, but the rules are in place to prevent a repeat of history. I can live with that.

Peggy will not be lost to the club. She will still be there, and being freed from the Presidency might give her the time and space to be a catalyst for achieving other great things for the club.

The true legacy of Peggy’s presidential reign isn’t the success we enjoyed. It is the formidable financial and cultural foundation which the club now sits on. She didn’t do that on her own of course, but as President she provided the leadership and stability to achieve it. The opportunity for a new President to come in with new ideas, working off that base, makes me excited about the future of our club.

Finally I have often wondered in recent times what Peggy thinks the greatest achievement in her term has been. I’d love to ask her that question and i think it would be fascinating to know the answer.

For me, it has been the inclusive culture that has grown to define what the RFC now represents. Think of all the different stuff that has been introduced and/or blossomed under her Presidency:

An AFL women’s team
Korin Gamadji Institute
Bachar Houli Foundation
Alannah and Madeline Foundation
Wheelchair football teams
Maurice Rioli Reconciliation Plan
Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
Save the Tiger partnership with the WWF
Signatory to the Sports for Climate Action Initiative

And I am sure there is stuff I have missed.

She has been one hell of a President.

Reactions: 19 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Considering we’re a football club first and foremost, presiding over three premierships has to be seen as her greatest achievement.

The other stuff is great but wouldn’t have the platforms required without the football element.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I fully understand the feelings regarding Peggy but a few things to keep in mind:

Everyone has a use by date in terms of their ideas, methods and beliefs. People would have said we had the best people in these jobs in the 70s, but the methods they used to achieve success then nearly destroyed our club in the 80s. In hindsight, we needed to freshen things up but success blinded us to the changing environment of the VFL at the time.

I would love Peggy to stay on, but the rules are in place to prevent a repeat of history. I can live with that.

Peggy will not be lost to the club. She will still be there, and being freed from the Presidency might give her the time and space to be a catalyst for achieving other great things for the club.

The true legacy of Peggy’s presidential reign isn’t the success we enjoyed. It is the formidable financial and cultural foundation which the club now sits on. She didn’t do that on her own of course, but as President she provided the leadership and stability to achieve it. The opportunity for a new President to come in with new ideas, working off that base, makes me excited about the future of our club.

Finally I have often wondered in recent times what Peggy thinks the greatest achievement in her term has been. I’d love to ask her that question and i think it would be fascinating to know the answer.

For me, it has been the inclusive culture that has grown to define what the RFC now represents. Think of all the different stuff that has been introduced and/or blossomed under her Presidency:

An AFL women’s team
Korin Gamadji Institute
Bachar Houli Foundation
Alannah and Madeline Foundation
Wheelchair football teams
Maurice Rioli Reconciliation Plan
Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
Save the Tiger partnership with the WWF
Signatory to the Sports for Climate Action Initiative

And I am sure there is stuff I have missed.

She has been one hell of a President.
Well put streaky one, we've been very privileged to have Peggy as El Presidente not quite for life.

Just as an aside for those unhappy about Peggy having to stand down after her outstanding term in charge. Just consider for a moment how much fun Colonwood have endured in the last couple of years of Eddie's mega extended tenure n the *smile* stains left behind.
Or perhaps how well Joffa Kennett's second term at Hawforn is travelling.
All good things must come to an end eventually, be happy n grateful for the joy we've had recently n the people who helped bring it to us. Time for a minor refresh, reset n continue on as best we can.

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
I'll take it. Like many of us I fully expect Benny to be the next AFL CEO, so three years is a win!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I well understand why there are term limits on the President. You want to be able to refresh and the price you pay with good presidents leaving is a bit of a price but on balance restricting terms is the way to go.

What I would suggest is that she stays on the board but not as Pres, not sure if that is happening but would be a good idea.

Benny getting 3 more years is a good move. Apart from how well he has done, having Peggy leave and then keeping Gale on as CEO is a good transition as we don't lose both at once. Some change and some continuity is the way to refresh and keep good culture at the same time.

DS

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Should've been a 3 mth contract to keep Gilligan looking over his shoulder.
The AFL needs but doesn't want integrity and principled behaviour at the top of its administration.
It's why the likes of Gale and Brian Cook will never get a look-in at the top levels of the AFL.
Corrupt organisations work very hard to repel those that might upset the "working order" of things.
Can't see Gale ever getting the top gig at headquarters ... he's simply too good and professional for them.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The AFL needs but doesn't want integrity and principled behaviour at the top of its administration.
It's why the likes of Gale and Brian Cook will never get a look-in at the top levels of the AFL.
Corrupt organisations work very hard to repel those that might upset the "working order" of things.
Can't see Gale ever getting the top gig at headquarters ... he's simply too good and professional for them.
I agree
Even parts of the media are against Gale taking over.
Parrott almost fell off his seat when Nathan Brown mentioned Gale will be the next CEO.
Straight away his response was "There's alot out there Browny that dont see that ever happening"

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The single most influential figure in modern club history IMO.

It starts with a vision...

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Well for one, I’m disappointed in this.
He hasn’t penned a “Mission Statement” for over a decade. Dud, delist.

:devilish:

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Can Peggy remain on the board after stepping down as El Prsidente?
Or maybe the board can create a new position on the board, like President Mentor, or Senior Presidential Advisor. That would be fun to watch.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Can Peggy remain on the board after stepping down as El Prsidente?
Or maybe the board can create a new position on the board, like President Mentor, or Senior Presidential Advisor. That would be fun to watch.
Governance is one of her areas of expertise and for the sake of the competition I'd love to see her take up a place on the commission and start busting a few heads!

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Governance is one of her areas of expertise and for the sake of the competition I'd love to see her take up a place on the commission and start busting a few heads!

This

Peggy has built us into a force - she has done her job better than any of us thought possible and now it’s time for her to hand over the rains to someone else. Hopefully the systems she has put in pace and the culture they have built will last a while yet - having two of the leadership pieces still at the club in Gale and Dimma should keep us on the right path.

Their main task, remember, is to keep the fridge well stocked with vanilla slices and if they do that we are set for another dynasty.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I think he'll get the gig, probably before his contract with Richmond is finished.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I think he'll get the gig, probably before his contract with Richmond is finished.
I think he'd get it if he really, really wanted it and I'm not that sure he does. He said last time he 'went through the process' because he was asked to by members of the commission, in the full knowledge it was going to be McLachlan's job.

Much has changed since then and with our finances taking a hit during the pandemic, I reckon he'll feel the need to stay for as long as it takes to have us back to pre covid level.

He's a pretty smart bloke Brendon, and as I've mentioned on numerous occasions he'd realise that the scrutiny on him in that role may be detrimental to the RFC in the perception of bias.
Still think it's more important to get Peggy on the commission at the earliest opportunity.