New Computer Monitor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Computer Monitor

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
Not sure this is the right thread for this.

I want to buy a new computer monitor in a couple of months time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get or look for? I want it to have a excellent refresh rate and excellent picture quality..

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Pretty detailed topic. If you're after an all-rounder, you basically want one with an IPS panel and good refresh rates at a decent price. Generally these will have more accurate colour reproduction and wider viewing angles than cheaper TN panels, but usually sacrifice on refresh rate.

Beyond a certain level you start to branch out into either serious gaming or professional photo/video editing monitors. The latter can cost thousands apiece at the top end for an Eizo or NEC. Come back a peg to around $1K and ASUS (ProArt series) and Dell make very nice monitors often marketed as "professional", although these will be less than optimal for gaming. ASUS also make very good gaming monitors for around the same price.

Come down another level and you can get a very decent all-rounder for about $600. A rough guide to bang for buck is Samsung and BENQ, then LG or ViewSonic, then Philips, Lenovo, Acer. Be wary of brands outside the mainstream.

Things to consider

size - has to be big enough for your needs AND fit in the space allotted. 30+ inch monitors take up a lot of real estate...
connections - check your PC/graphics card outputs to see what you have (HDMI/DisplayPort/mini DisplayPort/DVI) and make sure the monitor has an input to match. And check what cable(s) are in the box with the monitor
resolution - check the specs of your PC graphics card to see what combination of resolution and refresh rate the card can handle. Probably not worth considering any resolutions under 60Hz due to flicker. The higher the resolution, the smaller the text will be, and most monitors only function effectively at one resolution. Make sure you can live with the scaling.
aesthetics - the value people place on this varies, but some of the designs are pretty basic and ugly/clunky. Thin bezels (frame around the screen) help.
specs - dot pitch, viewing angle, brightness, contrast ratio, power consumption, number of colours/% of colour gamut are other specs worth investigating (brightness & contrast ratio can be meaningless, a bit like power ratings for hi-fi speakers...)

Lastly I'd never buy PC equipment from a Harvey Norman/Officeworks/JB Hi Fi due to markup (although I might browse to see what the item looks like). The best prices you'll get are at somewhere like CPL (great range & prices), MSY (great prices but usually only stock cheaper models), Scorptec (great service, OK range, not so cheap) or PC Case Gear (happy medium of price/range/service).

Generally price is an accurate indicator of quality, but be careful of paying for features you don't need. Positive reviews from two or more sources are a good sign.

If you really can't be bothered doing research and you're looking to spend $600 or less, the best Samsung within your price range is usually a safe purchase.

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Pretty detailed topic. If you're after an all-rounder, you basically want one with an IPS panel and good refresh rates at a decent price. Generally these will have more accurate colour reproduction and wider viewing angles than cheaper TN panels, but usually sacrifice on refresh rate.

Beyond a certain level you start to branch out into either serious gaming or professional photo/video editing monitors. The latter can cost thousands apiece at the top end for an Eizo or NEC. Come back a peg to around $1K and ASUS (ProArt series) and Dell make very nice monitors often marketed as "professional", although these will be less than optimal for gaming. ASUS also make very good gaming monitors for around the same price.

Come down another level and you can get a very decent all-rounder for about $600. A rough guide to bang for buck is Samsung and BENQ, then LG or ViewSonic, then Philips, Lenovo, Acer. Be wary of brands outside the mainstream.

Things to consider

size - has to be big enough for your needs AND fit in the space allotted. 30+ inch monitors take up a lot of real estate...
connections - check your PC/graphics card outputs to see what you have (HDMI/DisplayPort/mini DisplayPort/DVI) and make sure the monitor has an input to match. And check what cable(s) are in the box with the monitor
resolution - check the specs of your PC graphics card to see what combination of resolution and refresh rate the card can handle. Probably not worth considering any resolutions under 60Hz due to flicker. The higher the resolution, the smaller the text will be, and most monitors only function effectively at one resolution. Make sure you can live with the scaling.
aesthetics - the value people place on this varies, but some of the designs are pretty basic and ugly/clunky. Thin bezels (frame around the screen) help.
specs - dot pitch, viewing angle, brightness, contrast ratio, power consumption, number of colours/% of colour gamut are other specs worth investigating (brightness & contrast ratio can be meaningless, a bit like power ratings for hi-fi speakers...)

Lastly I'd never buy PC equipment from a Harvey Norman/Officeworks/JB Hi Fi due to markup (although I might browse to see what the item looks like). The best prices you'll get are at somewhere like CPL (great range & prices), MSY (great prices but usually only stock cheaper models), Scorptec (great service, OK range, not so cheap) or PC Case Gear (happy medium of price/range/service).

Generally price is an accurate indicator of quality, but be careful of paying for features you don't need. Positive reviews from two or more sources are a good sign.

If you really can't be bothered doing research and you're looking to spend $600 or less, the best Samsung within your price range is usually a safe purchase.

Finally chose one ;D

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/620449/Acer-Predator-XR341CK-34-FreeSync-Curved-Ultrawide-IPS-LED-Gaming-Monitor

Get to pick this up as well as new PC next week sometime :)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
ThePercies said:
Finally chose one ;D

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/620449/Acer-Predator-XR341CK-34-FreeSync-Curved-Ultrawide-IPS-LED-Gaming-Monitor

Reviewed well at TweakTown and Hardware Canucks, which are decent sites. Good luck with it!

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Reviewed well at TweakTown and Hardware Canucks, which are decent sites. Good luck with it!

Thanks mate. Really really looking forward to it being ready :)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Nice. I'm about to take delivery of the Dell UltraSharp U3415W. It will look a bit stupid as I'll be docking a Surface Pro 4 to it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Nice. I'm about to take delivery of the Dell UltraSharp U3415W. It will look a bit stupid as I'll be docking a Surface Pro 4 to it.

Can it drive a monitor that big (3440x1440)? Or will there be black bars on the left and right, like with old TV programs on a widescreen TV?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Can it drive a monitor that big (3440x1440)? Or will there be black bars on the left and right, like with old TV programs on a widescreen TV?

I'll let you know, but I'm pretty sure it can.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

The Surface Pro's are pretty good little units. I have a mate who is a hardcore dev and it is the only 'mobile device' that can handle the work he does.

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
K3 said:
The Surface Pro's are pretty good little units. I have a mate who is a hardcore dev and it is the only 'mobile device' that can handle the work he does.

I want to buy a Surface Pro next year at some stage.. They look a good unit.

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
ThePercies said:
Finally chose one ;D

And I reneged and went back to my original choice and paid more for this one. I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't get it.

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/621137/Acer-Predator-X34-34-G-SYNC-Curved-Ultrawide-IPS-LED-Gaming-Monitor

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
ThePercies said:
And I reneged and went back to my original choice and paid more for this one. I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't get it.

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/621137/Acer-Predator-X34-34-G-SYNC-Curved-Ultrawide-IPS-LED-Gaming-Monitor

If you're in Melbourne it's $20 cheaper at CPL. And you can pick it up and take it home, which I always prefer to delivery.

http://cplonline.com.au/monitors/acer-um-cx1sa-002-d10-x34-34-inch-g-sync-curved-lcd-monitor.html

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
If you're in Melbourne it's $20 cheaper at CPL. And you can pick it up and take it home, which I always prefer to delivery.

http://cplonline.com.au/monitors/acer-um-cx1sa-002-d10-x34-34-inch-g-sync-curved-lcd-monitor.html

Not really worth it as I'm out of Melbourne. Thanks for the heads up though, LTRTR :)