New Potatoes (The Bungaree Tuber) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Potatoes (The Bungaree Tuber)

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Bungaree Farmer declares "I've discovered New Potatoes"
by Pomme Frite
8th July 2003
The Bungaree Tuber

Bungaree farmer Mr Baked Spud has declared that he has discovered 'New Potatoes' on his 22 acre property fondly known around here as 'Potatoland'.

Mr Baked Spud has been growing potatoes for over 30 years and always encountered similar problems with his output.
"I've grown some great potatoes over the years, honest potatoes with big hearts, but they'd never last to the pointy end of the season. They would always promise so much in the early days, but never fill out, never really grow up to become great big strong potatoes. I've been accused of spoiling the potatoes, but they were always cherry-ripe on the day."

It is now just past the middle of the potato season and Mr Baked Spud was becoming concerned that this seasons crop would not make the cut.
"They started off well showing plenty of promise, but they've gone off for some reason."

However to slavage the season Mr Baked Spud has declared the discovery of 'New Potatoes' on his farm at Potatoland.

"Yeah-nah, I was really worried because I thought there goes another season and if I didn't step up to the plate there'd be no way I could keep this potato farm going on into next season. I always just kept turning around the same old potatoes from week to week, you know the potatoes that were stock potatoes nothin' fancy, but the market demand more now, they want tasty potatoes with plenty of versatility. Nothin' d change, we couldn't produce these tasty versatile potatoes, so I decided to go outside the square and churn half the farm. Bloody hell, to my surprise we unearthed some 'New Potatoes'. Tough little potaoes, uncomplicated potatoes with big hearts that'd grow straight. I think we'll be right this season, we can still cut the mustard with these 'New Potatoes' (chortle, chortle, snort, snort)."

Mr Baked Spud thinks his farm, 'Potatoland' will not only prosper this season but also thrive next year with his chance discovery of 'New Potatoes'.
"We'll be apples for next year at Potatoland with these 'New Potatoes'. We'll even try and discover some 'New Potatoes' to add to the current crop from other farms in the country come the end of the season."

We certainly hope so Mr Baked Spud, for the sake of all us long suffering Bungarites!!!