New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
The AFL have today clarified the reasoning behind the new Man on the Mark rule change.
From a tropical desert isle somewhere, the AFLs Gilligan announced that commencing in 2022 a new penalty will be imposed on clubs that exceed a threshold number of 50 metre penalties in a game. The penalty, which is understood to impact the live game and also demand a hefty fine, is to be introduced in an attempt to recapture the glory days of Australian Rules Football.

"Look, the game is stuffed", he said "and we need to do something to create excitement for the distracted kiddies, tweens, teens, and wannabe influencers. We will do this by creating a Selfie Supergoal and employing well known youtubers, insta stars, and Tiktoked elite, to throw out wads of cash into the crowd while performing their best known moves. Full credit to SHocker. This is his baby and I love it."

Gilligan advised that the initial crowd cash would be secured from financial penalties imposed upon clubs and players for spurious breaches of code in season 2021. "The executive have decided to funnel our end of year slush fund into as good a cause to get this up and running. They understand that it will be for only this season until the penalty money starts rolling in. It will be self funding about mid-way through next year.'

The Selfie Supergoal will allow a whole Bay to jump the fence and pose with their designated favourite Supergoal Player as he attempts to sink a 20 point goal from the Centre Square. With drool running down his chin and glassed over eyes Gilligan proclaimed, "Can you see it? It will be just like when Plugger booted his 13 Hundredth goal! I need a lie down, I'm feeling giddy."

Club CEO's were approached for comment but were unavailable. They are expected to be fully supportive.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Some footage of the new rule in action on the HS website is causing a stir. The umpire must be obligated to call 'play on' the instant the player with the ball moves off the mark.

It looms as a clusterfuck but what else would you expect with Hocking in charge. Despite actively attempting to increase scoring, it has declined by 15% in three years - unprecedented in the history of the game.
@The Big Richo - here you go, you wanted L2R2R's statistical analysis of Hockings work? I think clusterfuck is the technical term for what the stats are saying.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Heard Grimes today on SEN and he said he felt sure the new rule will increase scoring and he was quite complimentary towards it. Tigers of Old's report on the intraclub match said it was hardly noticeable and possibly improved the game. I watched the Port intraclub and it had no impact that I could see.

In the Essendon one the player is a couple of metres to the side of the circle and shuffles across to the circle. If he did that going forwards over the mark it would be 50, the players now have to treat going sideways the same way. Don't move until you hear play on.

I'm sure there will be issues early on with 50s but it will be down to the players not remembering the rule and they will soon be drilled to do it. If it tips the balance back towards scoring then it's probably worth a go.

So now the umpire has to watch the man with the ball like a hawk and determine from all sorts of distances and angles away if he has moved off his line and then he has to call play on whilst watching the man on the mark like a hawk to ensure he has not moved a muscle.

Its farking ridiculous and another Hocking masterstroke.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
It's a bit hysterical really. I have no idea whether it is going to be a good or a bad change but the vast majority of people bagging it haven't even seen it implemented yet.
Because it wasn't even trialled before implementing!

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Despite what people would suggest the AFL doesn't just pull this stuff out of the sky for fun. They have a committee made up of people with contemporary knowledge of the game and how it is being played. Players, coaches, footy managers and other footy people, including our own President. Those people represent their peers and discuss issues with them. They will have drawn on high level data and footage and made a considered decision.
You forgot the marketing execs who have more say than anyone. Like the clowns who want to enhance the match day experience by having music blaring at 120db during every break in play. And have some clown with a mic making sure your entertained during every minute of every interval. Just to make sure you're not bored.

Do any of these people actually support and watch football?

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Just for the record and not to pick arguments or fights in any way shape or form

I have always advocated for reduced rotations - and said so here - and would actually have preferred them to be lowered further.

Now I've kept this to myself till now - but here goes.
I personally don't mind the idea of this new man on the mark rule - certainly in principle - and the idea that the bloke with the ball might have more options.
So far I haven't seen it in action but did note some comment that it seemed OK at training.
Obviously there's been a whole heap of criticism here.
I just hope it's managed sensibly and if the bloke on the mark makes an instinctive but hesitant one step move - he won't be penalised.

Anyway - I've got that off my chest ...

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
What does wingnut Blighty think of all the new rule?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I just hope it's managed sensibly and if the bloke on the mark makes an instinctive but hesitant one step move - he won't be penalised.

Anyway - I've got that off my chest ...
So you're suggesting umpire discretion? Perhjaps they could yell, "he didn't mean it" when they exercise such discretion?

That'll work.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
A 50m penalty against a player taking a step off the mark is too severe.
The main reason this rule change could increase scoring is by increasing goals kicked from 50m penalties. Who wants to see that?
That's more or less what an umpire has always had to do though? The only difference now is they have to see if the man on the mark goes sideways instead of only forward.

And they can’t get it right without the added rule. They are so inconsistent with setting the mark now, I can’t see it getting any better.

Doesn't that support making rule changes? They've made changes for 2019, let them run last year and scoring is still declining. If people are concerned about lower scoring then surely they are right to act?
If the previous rules haven’t had the desired affect, why keep them? At least wind them back before adding even more untested rules.
Umps have a hard enough job as it is

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The annual anti-Richmond rule changes to increase scoring are always amusing, but usually end up having negligible impact on the game.

I guess our advantage is pretty unfair, as we’ve had a major head start over the other teams.

Without these humble rule changes it might take a decade for some teams to catch up to us defensively. We’ve been studying the NFL, sent our coach to Harvard, and successfully reimagined how an AFL team can take away the opposition‘s strengths.

I think it’s okay for us to help out the other clubs, including Geelong.

It’s a small price to pay for a more even competition.

Benny will be running the AFL by the time they catch up anyway.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The real problem is what other ridiculous rule will they come up with next season when this one fails to increase scoring. Leave the game the *smile* alone!

Reactions: 2 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Want a higher scoring less congested game? Easy,remove the wings like the VFA had and reduce the number of rotations.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Like every rule change Shocking brings in - and he brings in plenty - this is yet another that is untested and will have unintended consequences. You don't have to be a scientist to know that changing multiple variables at the same time brings no insight. The AFL's modus operandi is experimentation devoid of rigour. Hence the shambolic year to year knee jerk rule changes. It's amateur hour at the AFL and it has been for years.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The better coaches are defensive minded and they just might instruct their mids to run back hard to cover outlets parallel to the man on the mark. It may have the adverse effect of creating open play and more goals.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
That's more or less what an umpire has always had to do though? The only difference now is they have to see if the man on the mark goes sideways instead of only forward.

No, they have to be much more alert to calling play on in a timely manner. Previously, the man on the mark could move around as long as they did not go over the mark. They were not waiting for an umpire to give permission for them to move, they can go side to side and jump around. The umpire is under more pressure to know when the player with the ball has played on/moved off his line. Unless he is directly in line, how will he know when they have actually played on? It wasn't so critical previously as the man on the mark could go sideways. But its critical now. He will be guessing a lot of the time. What if the player moves as he calls play on?
If no one is on the mark can the player run from the side to stand the mark? Or do they have to enter from in front of the mark?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
So a player with the free/mark can take off with the ball in any direction but the player on the mark can't move until the ump calls play on?

Reckon this will impact us negatively as we are the best at manning the mark and closing down the exits by moving laterally and forcing the kicker to go where we want him to go.

Remember Wayne Campbell on radio mentioning this not too long ago when asked what makes us a good side. This will impact on our defensive systems and structures I reckon.
Agree. I always used to be pissed off when players didn't man the mark properly. Delaying ball movement by small margins makes all the difference.

Now you see all teams racing up to the mark and pointing to an imaginary spot (generally a metre or so beyond where it should be).

I'm sure we will be well prepared for the change.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah not much thoughts gone into this as usual.

So a player takes a mark on the fwd flank 50m out and he jogs back diagonally in field. What's the player on the mark supposed to do? Just stand and watch him open up the space?

Can other players also man the mark parallel to the man on the mark? Or is this 50m also?

Gonna drive everyone crazy.
Maggots should be calling " play on " every single time the player with the ball moves off his line. Pricks usually spend thirty seconds re adjusting the players position n then let him sneak back off the line a metre or two without calling " play on ", must be like that Buddy natural arc or something. Player on the mark will have no choice but to stand around picking his date n waiting for the maggots approval before he can move.

Players parallel to the mark should probably be permitted as long as they remain outside the ten metre exclusion zone, which probably makes them pretty ineffective.