New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So a player with the free/mark can take off with the ball in any direction but the player on the mark can't move until the ump calls play on?

Reckon this will impact us negatively as we are the best at manning the mark and closing down the exits by moving laterally and forcing the kicker to go where we want him to go.

Remember Wayne Campbell on radio mentioning this not too long ago when asked what makes us a good side. This will impact on our defensive systems and structures I reckon.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah not much thoughts gone into this as usual.

So a player takes a mark on the fwd flank 50m out and he jogs back diagonally in field. What's the player on the mark supposed to do? Just stand and watch him open up the space?

Can other players also man the mark parallel to the man on the mark? Or is this 50m also?

Gonna drive everyone crazy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's a bit hysterical really. I have no idea whether it is going to be a good or a bad change but the vast majority of people bagging it haven't even seen it implemented yet.

Not much different to SHocking claiming it will be a great change leading to world leading scoring really.

DS

BT Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
It's a bit hysterical really. I have no idea whether it is going to be a good or a bad change but the vast majority of people bagging it haven't even seen it implemented yet.

I wouldn't describe it as hysterical, the AFL have form on spruiking the positive effects on recent rule changes, which turn out to have the opposite effects.

The criticism is reasonable.

* Beat me to it DavidSSS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
So a player with the free/mark can take off with the ball in any direction but the player on the mark can't move until the ump calls play on?

Reckon this will impact us negatively as we are the best at manning the mark and closing down the exits by moving laterally and forcing the kicker to go where we want him to go.

Remember Wayne Campbell on radio mentioning this not too long ago when asked what makes us a good side. This will impact on our defensive systems and structures I reckon.
$50 Bucks we record the higgest anount of 50's because of this stupid rule.
Can we just use a scare crow?

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Not much different to SHocking claiming it will be a great change leading to world leading scoring really.

DS
I wouldn't describe it as hysterical, the AFL have form on spruiking the positive effects on recent rule changes, which turn out to have the opposite effects.

The criticism is reasonable.

* Beat me to it DavidSSS

It would be a bit odd if the AFL came out and said we're changing the rule to try and make the game worse though?

The reality is the overwhelming majority of rule changes have an either positive or neutral influence on the game. It's very hard to find a rule that has had a clear negative influence on the game.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It would be a bit odd if the AFL came out and said we're changing the rule to try and make the game worse though?

The reality is the overwhelming majority of rule changes have an either positive or neutral influence on the game. It's very hard to find a rule that has had a clear negative influence on the game.

Really? The rule changes over the recent years, designed to increase scoring, has resulted in the great drop in scoring the game has ever seen.

A chronic contrarian could argue that the scoring would have been even lower if not for these rule changes, but that would be guess work.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD

DS
That's it. Will not lead to a 1 behind increase. The penalty is what bothers me. And as usual its just stupid and looks stupid.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Really? The rule changes over the recent years, designed to increase scoring, has resulted in the great drop in scoring the game has ever seen.
And what does that tell us? Minor changes to superficial rules do not address the combination of modern fitness standards and defensive tactics. Those things aint going away.
I don't really care if we never see another 20 goal vs 20 goal scoreline. But sure, a lot of 8 goal vs 6 goal is a bit boring, but it's not the end of the world. Richmond and Geelong have certainly kept up their part of the entertainment bargain recently. Look at the GF score. In a full length game we would've kicked 16 goals easy.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yes, but we can hardly criticize fans for questioning the new rules when the AFL is busy touting the new rules - 2 sides of the same coin really.

And this is why plenty of fans are of the view that rule changes should be trialled in practice matches etc prior to being implemented.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yes, but we can hardly criticize fans for questioning the new rules when the AFL is busy touting the new rules - 2 sides of the same coin really.

And this is why plenty of fans are of the view that rule changes should be trialled in practice matches etc prior to being implemented.

DS

Well that was the AFL process - trail and test in pre season games first and then implement if they work.

At least that way there was ‘some evidence’ and people and players could see the impact for themselves which would make it easier for the AFL to sell the merits of any rule changes.

But as you say, the AFL can’t even follow their own processes - means they have to spin the benefits more and proves that they are an organisation that makes it up as they go.

For example, if scoring improves, will it be for the dumb man on the mark rule or will it be because of reduced rotations - if the reduced rotations is the cause then simple, keep reducing the number of rotations instead of making up more complicated rules.

Reactions: 3 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
The AFL have today clarified the reasoning behind the new Man on the Mark rule change.
From a tropical desert isle somewhere, the AFLs Gilligan announced that commencing in 2022 a new penalty will be imposed on clubs that exceed a threshold number of 50 metre penalties in a game. The penalty, which is understood to impact the live game and also demand a hefty fine, is to be introduced in an attempt to recapture the glory days of Australian Rules Football.

"Look, the game is stuffed", he said "and we need to do something to create excitement for the distracted kiddies, tweens, teens, and wannabe influencers. We will do this by creating a Selfie Supergoal and employing well known youtubers, insta stars, and Tiktoked elite, to throw out wads of cash into the crowd while performing their best known moves. Full credit to SHocker. This is his baby and I love it."

Gilligan advised that the initial crowd cash would be secured from financial penalties imposed upon clubs and players for spurious breaches of code in season 2021. "The executive have decided to funnel our end of year slush fund into as good a cause to get this up and running. They understand that it will be for only this season until the penalty money starts rolling in. It will be self funding about mid-way through next year.'

The Selfie Supergoal will allow a whole Bay to jump the fence and pose with their designated favourite Supergoal Player as he attempts to sink a 20 point goal from the Centre Square. With drool running down his chin and glassed over eyes Gilligan proclaimed, "Can you see it? It will be just like when Plugger booted his 13 Hundredth goal! I need a lie down, I'm feeling giddy."

Club CEO's were approached for comment but were unavailable. They are expected to be fully supportive.

• Haha

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

A chronic contrarian could argue that the scoring would have been even lower if not for these rule changes, but that would be guess work.

As a chronic contrarian I think any modification of the game is hugely difficult to measure because it is a constantly evolving organism. You never get the same game the rule change was introduced for so I think it is more useful to look at trends.

To my eye the game reached peak ugly in that 2005ish period where Sydney and West Coast were grinding out high numbers of stoppage and tackles and low scoring games. For whatever reason I felt that turned around and then started to turn back the other way by about 2015.

I think had we kept going the way we were around 2005 we'd now be seeing 10 goal games so somehow that turned around, be it because of rules, coaching, playing styles or team mechanics. Most likely it's a bit of everything.

I'm not sure if the scoring data matches my feeling but I don't see scoring as the be all and end all either. I'm sure @LeeToRainesToRoach could provide some insights there.

DS

I agree with the notion of a rule change but suggesting the fans and the AFL are on the same footing when it comes to this rule change is a nonsense.

Despite what people would suggest the AFL doesn't just pull this stuff out of the sky for fun. They have a committee made up of people with contemporary knowledge of the game and how it is being played. Players, coaches, footy managers and other footy people, including our own President. Those people represent their peers and discuss issues with them. They will have drawn on high level data and footage and made a considered decision.

None of that makes the decision right but it's a hell of a stronger footing than a fan, who without ever having seen the rule in operation yells 'bullshit'.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Some footage of the new rule in action on the HS website is causing a stir. The umpire must be obligated to call 'play on' the instant the player with the ball moves off the mark.

It looms as a clusterfuck but what else would you expect with Hocking in charge. Despite actively attempting to increase scoring, it has declined by 15% in three years - unprecedented in the history of the game.
@The Big Richo - here you go, you wanted L2R2R's statistical analysis of Hockings work? I think clusterfuck is the technical term for what the stats are saying.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Tiger Legend
Feb 3, 2017
Heard Grimes today on SEN and he said he felt sure the new rule will increase scoring and he was quite complimentary towards it. Tigers of Old's report on the intraclub match said it was hardly noticeable and possibly improved the game. I watched the Port intraclub and it had no impact that I could see.

In the Essendon one the player is a couple of metres to the side of the circle and shuffles across to the circle. If he did that going forwards over the mark it would be 50, the players now have to treat going sideways the same way. Don't move until you hear play on.

I'm sure there will be issues early on with 50s but it will be down to the players not remembering the rule and they will soon be drilled to do it. If it tips the balance back towards scoring then it's probably worth a go.

So now the umpire has to watch the man with the ball like a hawk and determine from all sorts of distances and angles away if he has moved off his line and then he has to call play on whilst watching the man on the mark like a hawk to ensure he has not moved a muscle.

Its farking ridiculous and another Hocking masterstroke.

MD Jazz

Tiger Legend
Feb 3, 2017
Because it wasn't even trialled before implementing!