New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I like watching goals being scored but these are junk goals.

How does that Essendon example contribute to good watching and good footy. It doesn’t.

There is no skill involved - more goals scored like this is against the spirit of the game. The aim of winning is to play better, more skilfully, tougher footy than your opponent, not by getting more 50 m penalties than them.

the AFL have no idea again.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Expecting at least 5 50m penalties against us in rd1, and 1 against Carlton.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Ridiculous rule that wont do anything for scoring or anything else positive except drive punters insane. 50m is a huge penalty in our sport, and seeing it doled out for a guy having moved his toenail is simply mental.

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I like watching goals being scored but these are junk goals.

How does that Essendon example contribute to good watching and good footy. It doesn’t.

There is no skill involved - more goals scored like this is against the spirit of the game. The aim of winning is to play better, more skilfully, tougher footy than your opponent, not by getting more 50 m penalties than them.

the AFL have no idea again.
I guiess by removing a defensive skill (manning the mark) they figure the ball will move quicker and cleaner. It gives the kicker more options. Might see more teams adopt the Hawthorn tactic of shepherding on the mark.

ToraToraTora

Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Just had a squiz at Twitter. Not one positive comment. Hundreds against including Richo Rhett Bartlett and Woz Tredrea. Its just dumb.

ToraToraTora

Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Imagine this rule costing a GF. Tired players, mentally shot, toenail wiggles, gimme goal, all over. Not good.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Respected AFL umpire Shaun Ryan issues warning on new man on the mark rules (paywalled)​

Decorated umpire Shaun Ryan says the new man on the mark rule is set to make a tough job even more difficult for the whistleblowers this season.

Clubs are bracing for a wave of costly 50m penalties early in the season after the league’s call to ban the man on the mark from moving in any direction before play on is called.

The AFL has warned in briefings to clubs that even the slightest movement to the left or right from the man on the park will incur an immediate 50m penalty.

While the league is encouraged by the players’ adherence in match simulation in recent weeks following hundreds of meetings with clubs, Ryan said the new rule adds yet another layer of complexity for the umpires.

“It is certainly an area that is going to be difficult for the umpires because they’ve got so many things to observe and all of them are fatal,” Ryan said.

“If you miss the person move off the mark then you’ve missed the 50m; if you miss the guy play on and pay a 50m then it is big and if you miss the player entering the protected area then they are all reasonably big ticket items.

“And it is all within a second or two of the player taking the mark.

“So, it was tough prior to this because there is already a fair bit going on and often our priority is the man with the ball because as soon as he plays on all bets are off.

“That is really crucial and there is an emphasis on the protected area as well, but now there is going to be a bit of a priority with the man on the mark.”

There are on average 175 marks, 47 free kicks and 20 kick-outs a game (based on last year’s normalised playing time), when umpires will have to scrutinize any lateral movement from the man on the mark.

The AFL is confident the initiative will result in a more open, free-flowing and high scoring game.

“We want to see players do random acts, see more instinctive acts and take the game on,” said AFL operations manager Steve Hocking.

Carlton superstar Patrick Cripps said the shift would have a considerable impact on the game and favour teams with speed.

“If you are an attacking team I think it will benefit you a lot more,” Cripps said.

“It is really going to help guys who are really quick off the mark. Guys like Zac Fisher, (Adam) Saad and (Zac) Williams.

“I like the rule change because as a viewer you want to see the game open up and higher scoring.”

Ryan, who was regarded as one of the best umpires in the league and officiated in eight Grand Finals before retiring last season, said there would be an adjustment period for everyone.

He said it would be interesting to see if any leeway is given to the man on the mark throughout the season.

“Like any new rule there is going to be difficulties, there will be some teething issues, then over a period of time it tends to settle down,” he said.

“And then umpires will work out where their priority needs to be in terms of observation and what sort of lateral movement they are going to permit and players will understand where the boundaries are.

“After a little bit of time they will find some balance.”

Players will be subject to the new rules in their informal scratch matches next weekend and then for the full-blooded AAMI Community Series from March 4-8.

Ryan said the game had never been more demanding on umpires.

“It is definitely harder than when I started out just because is so much more congestion around the play and there is also a lot more rules that are trying to deal with things,” he said.

“When I commenced we didn’t have to worry about whether a player was dropping his knees or ducking. If he got him in the head it was a free kick.

“We didn’t have to worry about contact below the knees and all of these types of things.

“And sometimes you’ve got 0.01 of a second to decipher it all.

“So once player behaviour goes in a certain direction then the AFL attempt to address that and a lot of that is to do with the safety of the players and there is a good intention behind it.

“But obviously it means there are more things to take into account and the speed of the game (has increased).

“So it is certainly tougher now than what it was.”

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I like the fact that these new rules were extensively trialled before they were implemented.

Yep well done again SHocking you useless flog. Every rule change you've made to "increase scoring & make the game better" have had the opposite effect.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So a player with the free/mark can take off with the ball in any direction but the player on the mark can't move until the ump calls play on?

Reckon this will impact us negatively as we are the best at manning the mark and closing down the exits by moving laterally and forcing the kicker to go where we want him to go.

Remember Wayne Campbell on radio mentioning this not too long ago when asked what makes us a good side. This will impact on our defensive systems and structures I reckon.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah not much thoughts gone into this as usual.

So a player takes a mark on the fwd flank 50m out and he jogs back diagonally in field. What's the player on the mark supposed to do? Just stand and watch him open up the space?

Can other players also man the mark parallel to the man on the mark? Or is this 50m also?

Gonna drive everyone crazy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's a bit hysterical really. I have no idea whether it is going to be a good or a bad change but the vast majority of people bagging it haven't even seen it implemented yet.

Not much different to SHocking claiming it will be a great change leading to world leading scoring really.

DS

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
It's a bit hysterical really. I have no idea whether it is going to be a good or a bad change but the vast majority of people bagging it haven't even seen it implemented yet.

I wouldn't describe it as hysterical, the AFL have form on spruiking the positive effects on recent rule changes, which turn out to have the opposite effects.

The criticism is reasonable.

* Beat me to it DavidSSS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
So a player with the free/mark can take off with the ball in any direction but the player on the mark can't move until the ump calls play on?

Reckon this will impact us negatively as we are the best at manning the mark and closing down the exits by moving laterally and forcing the kicker to go where we want him to go.

Remember Wayne Campbell on radio mentioning this not too long ago when asked what makes us a good side. This will impact on our defensive systems and structures I reckon.
$50 Bucks we record the higgest anount of 50's because of this stupid rule.
Can we just use a scare crow?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It would be a bit odd if the AFL came out and said we're changing the rule to try and make the game worse though?

The reality is the overwhelming majority of rule changes have an either positive or neutral influence on the game. It's very hard to find a rule that has had a clear negative influence on the game.

Really? The rule changes over the recent years, designed to increase scoring, has resulted in the great drop in scoring the game has ever seen.

A chronic contrarian could argue that the scoring would have been even lower if not for these rule changes, but that would be guess work.

ToraToraTora

Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Not much different to SHocking claiming it will be a great change leading to world leading scoring really.

DS
That's it. Will not lead to a 1 behind increase. The penalty is what bothers me. And as usual its just stupid and looks stupid.

ToraToraTora

Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Really? The rule changes over the recent years, designed to increase scoring, has resulted in the great drop in scoring the game has ever seen.
And what does that tell us? Minor changes to superficial rules do not address the combination of modern fitness standards and defensive tactics. Those things aint going away.
I don't really care if we never see another 20 goal vs 20 goal scoreline. But sure, a lot of 8 goal vs 6 goal is a bit boring, but it's not the end of the world. Richmond and Geelong have certainly kept up their part of the entertainment bargain recently. Look at the GF score. In a full length game we would've kicked 16 goals easy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It would be a bit odd if the AFL came out and said we're changing the rule to try and make the game worse though?

The reality is the overwhelming majority of rule changes have an either positive or neutral influence on the game. It's very hard to find a rule that has had a clear negative influence on the game.

Yes, but we can hardly criticize fans for questioning the new rules when the AFL is busy touting the new rules - 2 sides of the same coin really.

And this is why plenty of fans are of the view that rule changes should be trialled in practice matches etc prior to being implemented.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yes, but we can hardly criticize fans for questioning the new rules when the AFL is busy touting the new rules - 2 sides of the same coin really.

And this is why plenty of fans are of the view that rule changes should be trialled in practice matches etc prior to being implemented.

DS

Well that was the AFL process - trail and test in pre season games first and then implement if they work.

At least that way there was ‘some evidence’ and people and players could see the impact for themselves which would make it easier for the AFL to sell the merits of any rule changes.

But as you say, the AFL can’t even follow their own processes - means they have to spin the benefits more and proves that they are an organisation that makes it up as they go.

For example, if scoring improves, will it be for the dumb man on the mark rule or will it be because of reduced rotations - if the reduced rotations is the cause then simple, keep reducing the number of rotations instead of making up more complicated rules.

Reactions: 3 users