New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Lot of sulking and hand wringing on here about the rules.

Spook hit the nail on the head. Need to get on with it. The biggest thing we look for when recruiting is pace and fitness - exactly what we need. Time to put it into practice.

We've lost one game and that wasn't due to the rules. It was because we were lazy and lacked energy compared to our opposition.

That is on us. Not the AFL.
That’s all true but I still hate the player on the mark changes. I saw one clip from another game and a player just ran off with the player on the mark a statue because the umpire hadn’t called play on. It was farcical.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I’m wondering if you are better off not standing anyone on the mark at all and basically standing the mark 5 metres behind where it is taken. This way if the player plays on you
Can run forwards and put pressure on their kick instead of them already being past you and same thing if they have a teammate run from behind and give it to them.

standing the mark you are effectively out of the current play AND the next possession and only force a straight kick to go higher and are at risk
Of giving away 50 with a brain fade. Very easy for opposition to create an outnumber otherwise. I think this way you can still force the next kick more easily go to a contest.

it’s probably only When you get quite close to goal that it becomes useful to actually be on the mark.
St Kilda did that in their praccy games. There is a bit of it going on but the umpires are not sure how far 5 metres is and are effectively making a player stand the mark

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
St Kilda did that in their praccy games. There is a bit of it going on but the umpires are not sure how far 5 metres is and are effectively making a player stand the mark
It's pretty simple, jb. Five metres is exactly half the distance the ball is required to travel to be called a mark, except for the times it's a quarter of the distance required to call "Play on! Not 15!", or when it's one-sixth as far as you're allowed to run without bouncing the ball.

I can't be any clearer than that.

I really can't.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Couple of time Saturday the Sydney players did not tackle the Richmond player with the ball and instead focused on the player next in line for possession. Need some run and carry players. Our unselfishness and willingness to share may have become a bit predictable and therefore stoppable.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Never any specific rule changes to stop Wet Coke n Sydaknee strangling the game half to death with their flooding tactics a few years back.
No specific rule changes to stop Geelol's 500 manic possession a game play on at all costs tactic to defeat the flood.
No specific rule changes to stop Clarko's cluster, or the tactic of taking out the player on the mark to allow the ball carrier free movement.

Richmond winning flags because they bring some intense pressure in all aspects of the game, stand the mark extremely quickly and slightly cover the inside corridor while doing so. Disgusting, disgraceful, cheating tactics. Blight on the game that must be eliminated immediately.
The look on Gilligan's face, shows the measure of the man. Pathetic, secretive, manipulative *smile* ant. Shocking's just his pet cockaroach.
It Destroyers them us winning flags.
Has there ever been soooo many changes to the game?
Since we have won the 2017 flag.
*Deliberate adjudicated 10 times harder.
*The full back can run the 50 without bouncing it.
*The man on the mark rule (dumbest rule ive ever seen)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Couple of time Saturday the Sydney players did not tackle the Richmond player with the ball and instead focused on the player next in line for possession. Need some run and carry players. Our unselfishness and willingness to share may have become a bit predictable and therefore stoppable.

They were smart, they looked to intercept our forward handball. Not many other teams have tried this and this is probably the biggest issue we may come against as it forces us to kick downfield when we'd rather run and carry it.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
It's pretty simple, jb. Five metres is exactly half the distance the ball is required to travel to be called a mark, except for the times it's a quarter of the distance required to call "Play on! Not 15!", or when it's one-sixth as far as you're allowed to run without bouncing the ball.

I can't be any clearer than that.

I really can't.
Too many variables, umpires won't cope.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Can someone post the HS article. I just cannot believe that the people running the competition are so blatantly anti Richmond.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I’m wondering if you are better off not standing anyone on the mark at all and basically standing the mark 5 metres behind where it is taken. This way if the player plays on you
Can run forwards and put pressure on their kick instead of them already being past you and same thing if they have a teammate run from behind and give it to them.

standing the mark you are effectively out of the current play AND the next possession and only force a straight kick to go higher and are at risk
Of giving away 50 with a brain fade. Very easy for opposition to create an outnumber otherwise. I think this way you can still force the next kick more easily go to a contest.
Not sure but I've got a feeling that the maggots might be happy to call stand at anyone even remotely in the vicinity of the mark.

Bloody ridiculous that you can also no longer have a team mate sneak alongside from behind for the long range bomb at goal. Both Shorty n Balta have been pulled up n shooed away from the player with the ball in the first three games.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
New rule isn't impacting us. 2 games in and our guys have heavy legs due to the timing if our training loads. We are timing our run for September not April.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
New rule isn't impacting us. 2 games in and our guys have heavy legs due to the timing if our training loads. We are timing our run for September not April.
This is why I’m so against training.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There are many factors at play here, the new rules have altered the game.

Standing the mark is a hard one to work out tactically. Some teams are trying to stand 5 metres back to avoid having to stand, but, if the moron adjudicating the game then says stand then they effectively lose 5 metres, pretty sure I have seen this happen.

One aspect a fair number of people have talked about is contested possessions, and there is certainly a drop in contested possessions as a percentage of total possessions so far this year which tends to indicate that players are chipping it around to avoid a contest, looking at this back to 1999 (as far back as I can go with AFL Tables for this stat) we see this:

Possessions Rd 3 2021.gif

Contested possessions are now at 37% of all possessions, down from around 39.5% in 2019.

Another aspect is the number of uncontested marks, there is an increase but it is not the clearest trend, I'll say more below:

Marks Rd 3 2021.gif

Uncontested marks are up and contested marks as a percentage of total marks are down. What I perceive going on here though is that different teams are reacting differently to the rule change. So, if you look just at the Richmond v Sydney game last Saturday they had 7 contested marks out of a total of 124 marks, whereas Richmond had 9 contested marks out of a total of 79 marks. Although the league average of uncontested marks is 10.7% of all marks, Sydney just had a game with around 6% of all their marks being contested. Plus, you might have noticed they had 117 uncontested marks, while we had 70.

No idea where to get stoppage data going back, AFL Tables don't have this as far as I can find.

As for the old furphy of scoring, well it is slightly up, but not close to what it was 40 years ago - do they want us to go back to the way the game was played in 1982 maybe? Wouldn't mind another shot at the Grand Final. Anyway the score data on AFL Tables goes right back but I've gone back to 1965:

Scores to Rd 3 2021.gif

Slightly higher so far this year, but time will tell.

NOTE: all data above excludes 2020, I just don't think you can compare as 2020 was so different.

The above does indicate we need to make some changes to the game plan, not major, but what we really need to work out is the best way to defend the way the game has changed and also how to prevent opposition sides from avoiding pressure.

DS

Attachments

• Marks Rd 3 2021.gif
    Marks Rd 3 2021.gif
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 6 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Three rounds in and the sky is falling. We played terrible. Looked slow and reactionary. Same as this time for the past three years. Coaches have acknowledged that we are still building our fitness and we are weeks behind in preparation to other 2020 non finals teams. all the tables above tell me is that the game is evolving as it has done for the past 100+ years

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I just backed Josh Jenkins to win the Coleman

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

it’s probably only When you get quite close to goal that it becomes useful to actually be on the mark.

other option as others have pointed out is hard one on ones. That leaves you much more exposed to over the backs and/or a mismatch getting hold of you.

We looked terrible on the weekend due to our horrible disposal when not pressured and also getting reamed on clearances.
If sides start doing that and it comes off, they’ll alter the rule to stipulate a player MUST stand the mark. They don’t like it when they’re made to look stupid.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If I was coach, id have the back 6 playing heaps of Musical Chairs at training

and just generally *smile* around. smoking big cigars and commenting publicly how all these pretenders will be like little ambulant warthogs in September,

and the only way they'll stop us is to ban Dusty.

then announce we are banning dusty ourselves, until the 28th August.

I actually wouldn't even put a side on the plane on Thursday.

just dont turn up. take the whole side to Luna Park on Friday night and see who can eat the most Dagwood dogs and keep them down in the graviton.

my money would be on George.

take it back to basics

lets double up on the chaos.

lets play in the nude with body painted yellow and black away strips

lets ring up dominoes and have 100 Hawaiian pizzas with extra jalepeñoes delivered to the attorney generals joint

these *smile* have no idea who they are dealing with

Last edited:
  • Haha