New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Three rounds in and the sky is falling. We played terrible. Looked slow and reactionary. Same as this time for the past three years. Coaches have acknowledged that we are still building our fitness and we are weeks behind in preparation to other 2020 non finals teams. all the tables above tell me is that the game is evolving as it has done for the past 100+ years

Yes, the game is evolving, but the evolution is being orchestrated by non-stop rule changes imposed by a bunch of morons.

The game will settle, let's hope it doesn't settle and look anything like the circle work in the Geelong v Hawthorn game or look like basketball which it has at times.

The sky is not falling, but things have changed and pretending that how we played over the last few years will get the job done doesn't work. Teams are always improving so you always need to improve to hold your position, and the changes require a response. We clearly need to tweak a few things and sort out the best way to respond to changes if we are to remain competitive.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
For me the new rules seem to have taken something out of the game. Based on ten matches I have watched live or on catch up, no matter what club, the game seems faster but they all resemble a ping pong tournament with all the chip kicking instead of running footy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Really wish we still had Leppa at the club.
Leppa sold us out a little. Heard him on SEN the other day (think it may have been a Sat morning) saying he revealed a few of the tigers defensive tactics regarding standing the mark to Shocking after the end of last season. Basically said as he was leaving/had left the tigers he didn't have to worry about his duty to the club. Reckon he almost wished he hadn't said it after the words left his mouth, to me it showed a lack of loyalty. It almost sounded like he was a fan of the changes and he acknowledge its impact.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
In 2018 round 2 vs Adelaide we lost by 36pts and conceded 140 more disposals.

In 2019 round 2 we lost to Collingwood by 44pts and conceded 164 more disposals to the Pies. The following week against GWS we conceded 59 more disposals while losing by 49pts.

In 2020 we drew with Collingwood in round 2 and conceded 50 more disposals in a shortened game. We then lost our next two matches against Hawthorn and St Kilda by 32pts and 34pts respectively although we significantly narrowed the disposal differential in both games.

Since we’ve started this magnificent run, we’ve always lost games early by large margins and nearly always to teams that play a high possession, keepings off style. We learn, adjust and by round 15 we are strangling sides defensively while punishing them on the turnover and steamrolling them in red time.

Maybe this year will be different. Maybe the new rules will break us but so far 2021 seems to be following a familiar pattern.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

In 2019 round 2 we lost to Collingwood by 44pts and conceded 164 more disposals to the Pies. The following week against GWS we conceded 59 more disposals while losing by 49pts.

In 2020 we drew with Collingwood in round 2 and conceded 50 more disposals in a shortened game. We then lost our next two matches against Hawthorn and St Kilda by 32pts and 34pts respectively although we significantly narrowed the disposal differential in both games.

Since we’ve started this magnificent run, we’ve always lost games early by large margins and nearly always to teams that play a high possession, keepings off style. We learn, adjust and by round 15 we are strangling sides defensively while punishing them on the turnover and steamrolling them in red time.

Maybe this year will be different. Maybe the new rules will break us but so far 2021 seems to be following a familiar pattern.
I also think we need to better understand how we effectively replace Vlas, he’s our most offensive defender . This result has given us plenty to think about , houli return will help with our transition out of d50 . Still, we gotta W the midfield battle or nothing else matters

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Leppa sold us out a little. Heard him on SEN the other day (think it may have been a Sat morning) saying he revealed a few of the tigers defensive tactics regarding standing the mark to Shocking after the end of last season. Basically said as he was leaving/had left the tigers he didn't have to worry about his duty to the club. Reckon he almost wished he hadn't said it after the words left his mouth, to me it showed a lack of loyalty. It almost sounded like he was a fan of the changes and he acknowledge its impact.
Kind of make sense.
really can’t see Hocking coming up with this idea himself. Someone with a footy IQ would had to explain it to him really slowly.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I will be astonished if any reply I may receive resembles transparency, accountability or adequacy in any way. I'll keep you posted

Dear AFL,

I have been an AFL participant and viewer for nearly 50 years.

It came to my attention on the weekend, watching the coverage of Sydney V Richmond,

That a camera crew (Fox?) apparently entered the Playing Surface after a Sydney goal,

And broadcast a close up of a Sydney goal celebration.

Over all the years in my participation in the game as a player, coach and viewer, I always understood that anyone other than Players, Umpires and the participating teams runners

Entering the Playing Surface, was a serious offence, for good reason ( to both protect and not obstruct players and umpires)

The Laws of Australian Football state,
6. TEAM OFFICIALS AND TEAM RUNNER

1. 6.1 CONTROLLING BODY TO REGULATE
    A Controlling Body shall adopt rules which:
    1. (a) specify the times and occasions when an Official and Team Runner may enter the Playing Surface; and
    2. (b) identify the tasks or duties which such persons may perform when on the Playing Surface.

Under those same rules, does a camera crew constitute an Official or a Team Runner?

Official: includes but is not limited to an officer, coach, assistant coach, trainer, runner, employee or any person performing any duties (paid or unpaid) for or on behalf of a Club or Team.

Playing Surface: the field of play inside the Boundary Line, Goal Line and Behind Line, excluding the area between such lines and the perimeter fence

Can you please confirm

1. If this occurred?,
2. If it breached The AFL Laws of Australian Football?

Your sincerely,

EZY

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I will be astonished if any reply I may receive resembles transparency, accountability or adequacy in any way. I'll keep you posted

Dear AFL,

I have been an AFL participant and viewer for nearly 50 years.

It came to my attention on the weekend, watching the coverage of Sydney V Richmond,

That a camera crew (Fox?) apparently entered the Playing Surface after a Sydney goal,

And broadcast a close up of a Sydney goal celebration.

Over all the years in my participation in the game as a player, coach and viewer, I always understood that anyone other than Players, Umpires and the participating teams runners

Entering the Playing Surface, was a serious offence, for good reason ( to both protect and not obstruct players and umpires)

The Laws of Australian Football state,
6. TEAM OFFICIALS AND TEAM RUNNER

1. 6.1 CONTROLLING BODY TO REGULATE
    A Controlling Body shall adopt rules which:
    1. (a) specify the times and occasions when an Official and Team Runner may enter the Playing Surface; and
    2. (b) identify the tasks or duties which such persons may perform when on the Playing Surface.

Under those same rules, does a camera crew constitute an Official or a Team Runner?

Official: includes but is not limited to an officer, coach, assistant coach, trainer, runner, employee or any person performing any duties (paid or unpaid) for or on behalf of a Club or Team.

Playing Surface: the field of play inside the Boundary Line, Goal Line and Behind Line, excluding the area between such lines and the perimeter fence

Can you please confirm

1. If this occurred?,
2. If it breached The AFL Laws of Australian Football?

Your sincerely,

EZY

Surely if there were feet on the ground - as distinct from an overhead camera on wires - there would have been witnesses amongst the spectators
Do we have eye witness accounts?
I was there but probably not watching too closely after Sydney goals

edit: just saw the posts on Kamdyn thread about Fox being allowed on the ground
So it could have happened and could be legal

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

yes. I think that

1. it most likely happened,

and

2. its mostly likely legal. In the definitions of an Official in The Rules of Australian Football,

you will notice the wording says 'includes but not limited to',

which is the classic golden rule

I imagine The AFL, in their completely unaccountable, opaque way,

have done a deal with Fox, and defined their staff as Officials.

and

3. I wont get a response from the AFL

We could see Gary Lyon umpiring Melbourne games soon.

tiger3000

Tiger Cub
Apr 11, 2011
Surely if there were feet on the ground - as distinct from an overhead camera on wires - there would have been witnesses amongst the spectators

Yeah I saw this at the ground and thought it was odd

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

100% happened. Occurred a few times at the ponsford end when sydney scored.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Good post.

Expecting a big loss this Friday in Port's GF and then perhaps a better showing the next week.

Watched some of our harder workers closely and they just didn't have any run in their legs.

Let the media think it's due to the new rules and the faster game style.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
100% happened. Occurred a few times at the ponsford end when sydney scored.

Camera crews crossed the boundary line and entered the playing surface, following goals scored, during a game?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

yeah im not too happy with the stuff Leppa has been saying in the media.

seems to be turning a living from Richmond IP.

Im sure its stuff everyone knows, but I still think it lacks dignity from such a dignified bloke.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I also think we need to better understand how we effectively replace Vlas, he’s our most offensive defender . This result has given us plenty to think about , houli return will help with our transition out of d50 . Still, we gotta W the midfield battle or nothing else matters

Yeah it took the best past of a half of footy in the grannie to reset the backline after he went down - can’t underestimate the value he brings to our defensive setup.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

that's how it seemed on the TV.

*smile* hell.

even if you did manage to make the AFL explain it,

they'de play the COVID card and say it was an economic imperative.

shame a security guard following the letter of the law didnt run on and spear tackle them.