New Social Club | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Social Club

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
leon said:
There's a rumour circulating that there are plans to demolish (not sure if fully or partially i.e. preserving some facade or whatever) the JD stand and rebuild a modern grandstand.

that would be brilliant and now is the time to do it with the club flush with money. But it must have a members bar attached to it (something along the lines of the Locker Room at Etihad or Edwins at AAMI Park).

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I will be happy with that based on progress. It must be designed with the members in mind.

A members where you can meet prior to a match would be brilliant.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
An ideal spot for a pub would be in either forward pocket at the PRE, with frontage to Punt Rd and therefore foot traffic from many people going past, not just on match days, and with a large balcony and lawn stretching down and across to the goals.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Much as it has some history & carries nostalgia, the Jack Dyer stand isn't Heritige listed so I'd have no problem with them knocking the current one over & building a big shiny new Jack Dyer stand. What's more important is our home remains at PRO. Onwards & upwards.

X2

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
The sale of alcohol was a very sensitive issue when the club sought funding from the Federal Govt. to build our current facilities. The funding was justified by the investment in our Aboriginal programme.
This is why a prominent social club was not built and why no general public facilities are likely to be built at Punt Rd.
The club should look carefully at the under performing Richmond Social ( The Vaucluse ) as they need something with scale and proximity.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Blind Turn said:
The sale of alcohol was a very sensitive issue when the club sought funding from the Federal Govt. to build our current facilities. The funding was justified by the investment in our Aboriginal programme.
This is why a prominent social club was not built and why no general public facilities are likely to be built at Punt Rd.
The club should look carefully at the under performing Richmond Social ( The Vaucluse ) as they need something with scale and proximity.

I understand what you are saying. There is a major difference now in that we have a VFL, AFLW and VFLW all playing at Punt Road and we now as members expected to be catered for.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Tigers of Old said:
Much as it has some history & carries nostalgia, the Jack Dyer stand isn't Heritige listed so I'd have no problem with them knocking the current one over & building a big shiny new Jack Dyer stand. What's more important is our home remains at PRO. Onwards & upwards.

A lot of debate is happening in regards to this now that Gale flagged it as an option this week. For mine it depends what they are going to build. If it’s more office space and an area for the museum they can build over the carpark. If it’s catering for the supporters all for progress.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
MB78 said:
A lot of debate is happening in regards to this now that Gale flagged it as an option this week. For mine it depends what they are going to build. If it’s more office space and an area for the museum they can build over the carpark. If it’s catering for the supporters all for progress.

if they're gonna bulldoze the Jack Dyer stand, its replacement should be something that would have to be embraced by the supporters and bring in revenue. a RFC museum and a memorabilia styled bistro underneath a new grandstand would be perfect.

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Ian4 said:
and this is where we missed the boat to some extent. not only do Collingwood have their own social club in the Ponsford stand, but Collingwood members get rights to their reserved seats in the Ponsford in all games (home and away). we will probably end up with more members than Collingwood next year, but they ended up negotiating this deal at the right time (when half the MCG was being rebuilt) and took full advantage of that.

this is spot on
a friend of mine is in the inner sanctum membership, she told me at the Collingwood game (our home game ) the inner sanctum group cant use the ponsford stand - harrison room as Collingwood have it regardless of home or away games for a few more years
that's appalling !
I hate those black and white maggots even more now

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Tigerhealer said:
this is spot on
a friend of mine is in the inner sanctum membership, she told me at the Collingwood game (our home game ) the inner sanctum group cant use the ponsford stand - harrison room as Collingwood have it regardless of home or away games for a few more years
that's appalling !

Well played by Collingwood. Time for us to look at ideas to better them.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tigerhealer said:
this is spot on
that's appalling !

good luck to them, but it just shows what we need to do ourselves to get to their level (or go past them). we are only above them in membership numbers, but i'm sure we can do a lot of other things to catch up with them when it comes to improving the game day experience of our members. a rebuilt Jack Dyer stand with a members pub/bistro underneath is the perfect start.