NFL & NCAA Football Threads | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NFL & NCAA Football Threads

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
#49ers QB Brock Purdy suffered a complete tear of the UCL in his throwing elbow and will undergo surgery, per sources. Purdy is getting second opinions, but the initial hope is he can undergo a repair — not reconstruction (AKA Tommy John) — and will be ready for training camp.

View attachment 17875

Torn UCL recovery timeline​

A repair on Purdy's arm would give him a standard recovery of about six months, meaning if he got surgery on Tuesday, he would be ready to return right around July.

If the 49ers' initial hopes are incorrect and Purdy requires Tommy John surgery, he would likely be looking at about a full year of recovery, which would obviously sideline him for the 2022 season. Jake Delhomme got the surgery in October 2007 and he was back by September 2008, although that was after chronic arm pain.

In the baseball world, Bryce Harper had Tommy John surgery after the season in November and could be back by mid-May. Because a quarterback's strain is somewhere between an MLB pitcher and an MLB outfielder, erring toward the pitcher, it's difficult to say exactly how long he would miss with modern day rehabilitation, which is more conservative with pitchers and more aggressive with position players.

With that being said, if Purdy is able to avoid Tommy John surgery, that would be the best case scenario and he could be back in time to at least spend time with the team during the summer, which will be important in a crowded 49ers QB room.

What does this mean for 49ers QB situation?​

In an interesting twist, Purdy's injury might mean a reunion between Jimmy Garoppolo and the 49ers.

It's often said if you have two starting quarterbacks you don't have a quarterback. Somehow, the 49ers have three of Schrödinger's QBs: They have three viable ones on the roster until March 15, but they won't know the status of any of them until later.

Trey Lance is expected to recover in time for a full return in the 2023 season from an ankle injury, but Garoppolo is the one whose return to 100 percent is the most surefire. And with the 49ers' QB issues this year, they'll want to carry at least two viable options next season.

With that in mind, don't be surprised if the 49ers re-up Garoppolo's tenure with the team after signing him to a surprising one-year, $7 million contract last offseason. The 49ers were 7-3 with him starting this year and he was a steady presence, something that is invaluable for a team with great coaching.

Of course, they could look to add a free agent like Tom Brady, who has strong ties to the Bay Area.

The 49ers have some hard decisions to make this offseason.

As for Purdy, second opinions will shed light his long-term status, but a full UCL tear is ominous, to say the least. Once there's confirmation of what "repairs" are necessary, it will be easier to prognosticate any kind of return for 2022's rookie sensation.
There’s no team in the NFL that comes close over the last 5 years to the amount of serious injuries to its best players.

Niners are cursed on the injury front, year on year. Didn’t really affect the result I don’t think yesterday - Eagles were way too good. But away from that, the Niners have had a shocking run the last 5 years or so.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Looks like it'll be me vs the rest of the PRE NFL board in 2 weeks ;)
No I’m on the Eagles. Not a big fan of Chiefs and the Mahomes adoration following the game (he’s a superstar but in some ways he and the chiefs were lucky) has turned me. That bonehead ex coach Ryan on getup says he’s the best player he’s ever seen in the game!! Ever!! Please.

Go Eagles.

Last edited:
  • Love

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Joseph Ossai roughing the passer, Nick Vlaustin tackling blokes high 10 m out from their goal or me going all in on the overs and going 0-4 as dumbest play?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Joseph Ossai roughing the passer, Nick Vlaustin tackling blokes high 10 m out from their goal or me going all in on the overs and going 0-4 as dumbest play?
Ossai. Easily. Zero game awareness. Almost no time left on clock. Opposition outside field goal range. This games going to OT unless some bonehead penalty is given away. One of the dumber plays in the NFL I can recall.

Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
There’s no team in the NFL that comes close over the last 5 years to the amount of serious injuries to its best players.

Niners are cursed on the injury front, year on year. Didn’t really affect the result I don’t think yesterday - Eagles were way too good. But away from that, the Niners have had a shocking run the last 5 years or so.
Last count Kyle has gone through 9 Running Backs who've been injured and missed good chunks off season's and about 5-6 QB's all get injured sometime during the season. Even last year Jimmy and Trey missed games through injuries. Trey Sermon I don't think he missed 3 games at College, but he'd be lucky to have played 3 games for the Niners!! :(
Nah it didn't affect the result yesterday, but it would have been a little better of a game, just would have liked a fairer, injury free contest.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Last count Kyle has gone through 9 Running Backs who've been injured and missed good chunks off season's and about 5-6 QB's all get injured sometime during the season. Even last year Jimmy and Trey missed games through injuries. Trey Sermon I don't think he missed 3 games at College, but he'd be lucky to have played 3 games for the Niners!! :(
Nah it didn't affect the result yesterday, but it would have been a little better of a game, just would have liked a fairer, injury free contest.
Unbelievable amount of injuries Jerry.

$$$$$@@@ beyond frustrating the last few years.

• Sad

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Peyton to the Broncos and Ryans to the Texans.

Guess after the Chargers didn’t pull the pin on Staley, Peyton was a lock for Denver.

Fear Ryans is up against it big time.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Unbelievable amount of injuries Jerry.

$$$$$@@@ beyond frustrating the last few years.
And haven't mentioned how many coaching losses we've had to put with as well Ryans now gone today - two years back Salah goes to the Jets, then McDaniels 12 months ago to Miami now Demeco Ryans to Houston :rolleyes:

Would be good to get an older coach to hang around for awhile, someone like a Vic Fangio - he was Defensive Coordinator under the Harbaugh years, was at Stanford with him before us.

At 64 he's probably not getting another Head coaching job - and what he did with Willis and Bowman from 2011-2014 - a league-high 35 turnovers in 2011.

He'd be a good get for a 5-10 year bracket with the current Defence running amuck, tired of giving up good coaches man :confused:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

Guess after the Chargers didn’t pull the pin on Staley, Peyton was a lock for Denver.

Yes an interesting merry-go-round. Broncos were going in for Ryans big time, but like U, why you'd pick Houston with a QB whose a gamer (Playstaion gamer not a gamer on the field ;)) instead of reading playbooks.

At least with Russ in Denver you know there's something to work with. I like Jeudy and Sutton as WR's and Peyton did well with Brees, Colston and Graham.

Ahhh, Ryans played at Houston 2006-2011. There U go!! :eyes

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

You mean Payton not Peyton? For a minute I thought Manning was the new coach at the Drongos.

• Haha

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
You mean Payton not Peyton? For a minute I thought Manning was the new coach at the Drongos.
U haven't heard? o_O

Payton Head Coach, brother Eli is the QB Coach, bottom out for the No 1 pick in 3 years time - draft nephew Arch Manning from Texas ;)

• Haha

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Yah know, I warmed up to that idea today, not when he was 42 but now he's nearly 46!! :ROFLMAO:

1. Got three QB's all coming back from injuries, so nearly an odds on guarantee they're going to go down again. Wouldn't be worth a risk for a year while they get back to 100% because this guy hasn't missed a game since 2008!! :eek: Absolutely amazing how he stays injury free, maybe not under Kyle's watch U say :LOL:

2. Ball release - Brady - 2.53 seconds, Garoppolo - 2.53, Purdy - 2.83. Quicker release than the other QB's, that's why he gets hit less and less likely to get injured!!

LET'S GOOOO JOMMY BRAYTANA :cupgold

Brady at 'The Catch' game vs the Cowboys :cool:

1675247895926.png

Luv the score behind him and his mum, perfect shot if you think about it -SF 28, Dal 27.
Dallas Lose!! :eyes

1675247943389.png

1675248064319.png

1675248201018.png

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane

Didn’t know you had to trade for coaches as well in the NFL.

Broncos give up a 1st and 2nd round draft pick to the Saints as part of the deal, as Payton was still contracted to NO.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Didn’t know you had to trade for coaches as well in the NFL.

Broncos give up a 1st and 2nd round draft pick to the Saints as part of the deal, as Payton was still contracted to NO.
Yeah man, he was still under contract to Norleans for two more years. Happened with a lot of great coaches - Shula, Parcells, Belichick, Gruden and Holmgren all left during contracts. Niners got a couple of third round picks for Salah, McDaniels and now Ryans.