NFL & NCAA Football Threads | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NFL & NCAA Football Threads

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Was at Giants v Eagles last night , the evacuation of Giants fans at 3/4 time was incredible, only a couple of touchdowns behind but they’d had enough. NFL live is awesome even when you have no idea on the rules

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Mr Brightside said:
Was at Giants v Eagles last night , the evacuation of Giants fans at 3/4 time was incredible, only a couple of touchdowns behind but they’d had enough. NFL live is awesome even when you have no idea on the rules

Great that you're having a good time MrB. I know that they probably haven't even heard of Australia, have they heard of Winx?

Safe travels.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Mr Brightside said:

NY Giants in a trough. US sports media all over them. A bit like Nafan Hugley 18 months ago before he became the pontiff.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Mr Brightside said:
Out of interest, what was the crowd make up? As in, how large a traveling support did the Philly Eagles have there?

Not that far to travel from Philly to NJ, where the Giant's MetLife stadium is. And no doubt there'd be a fair amount of expat Philly people living in NYC itself (NYC has that gravitational pull that means expats from all around the country live there).

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Panthera Tigris said:
Out of interest, what was the crowd make up? As in, how large a traveling support did the Philly Eagles have there?

Not that far to travel from Philly to NJ, where the Giant's MetLife stadium is. And no doubt there'd be a fair amount of expat Philly people living in NYC itself (NYC has that gravitational pull that means expats from all around the country live there).
Probably 60/40 PT , same for the Jets Broncos surprisingly

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Mr Brightside said:
Probably 60/40 PT , same for the Jets Broncos surprisingly
Fascinating isn't it. I remember when I first started seeing American sports on TV, as a young kid, during the early 90s. Crowds seemed so partisan in favour of the home side. The US (like Australia) being such a large country, with road trips being too expensive for your average fan to contemplate.

Over the last 20 years though, travel has become so much cheaper in relative terms. Plus the population seems so much more transient, hence the crowds are so much less partisan for the home team and it's taken away some of the home ground edge. NYC probably the extreme example, with the cultural and economic pull of the place meaning that expats from all around the country live there in significant numbers.

An American mate of mine said trouble with fans punching on in the stands is quite a new phenomenon linked to this. Used to only really be heard of at derby matches (For instance, SF 49ers vs Oakland Raiders was one match up that was known for the odd bit of crowd biff). But he said you do see it more commonly at a range of matches now.

In basketball, I remember the media saying how intimidating and partisan a place Madison Square Garden was for away teams (and any away fans who dared step foot in there) when the NY Knicks were quite prominent during the early to mid 1990s. Just wonder if/when they finally come good again, whether it would still be the same 20+ years on.

We see this in Australia too. So many more interstate away fans (with the exception of GWS and GCS) at AFL matches in Melbourne, than 20-30 years ago. And indeed, much larger travelling support when Melbourne sides travel interstate, than the early years of expansion.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The Ice Hockey and Basketball always seem to be 90% home team crowd and though Hockey fans are generally aggressive types haven't see any trouble what so ever at either.

Funny thing at the Football the other night, there was a Bronco guy and a Jets guy ( similar at Giants game)about 6 seats from each other going at it all night, I said to my son at the time , how there different here they like to yptalk the talk but not so much walk the walk, I thought at the time if it was in Oz somebody would have belted somebody about an hour ago or they would have shut up an hour ago, football crowds are defiantly the most aggressive , saw a few things that would have turned to violence in Oz but they appear to just rather be loud at each other, probably a good thing.

Baseball crowds are a whole different type imo , lots of my mates like a day at the baseball, I'm not really a fan of the game or the crowds , nearly went to Yankees Stadium for one of there play off games but at $180 us a pop I gave it a miss

One things for sure all there sports really make it 3 or 4 hours of entertainment, even though I've good sfa idea of what's going on there all a bloody good time, except the baseball , but that's just me. It's a tough call between the football and the ice hockey , each event has been awesome and have loved every NBA game , actually of to see thunder v Clippers tonight then tomorrow will see LA Kings play at the Staples center at 1 pm then at 7 in the same venue see Lebrons first home game for the Lakers against Houston. Another thing is just about every event has free giveaways when you walk in the door, we've got T shirts, Bobble dobbles, Calenders, free pizzas, most teams all so have min auctions of players gear going cheap that goes to there charity's , picked up a Jordan signed Basketball cheap (deandre Jordan that is ) , National anthem is always sung by a superstar and they always show great admiration for a war vet , it all ads to the experience. Still always prefer to be going to watch the Tigers play and catch up with the lads for a beer , however I don't think we get anywhere near a days entertainment for the natural observer.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Not exactly the right thread for it but CC's posted his experience in the US for their sports.

Just wanna say the old Redmond and Disco08 must be high in spirits by now watching Game 4 in the MLB, where the LA Dodgers *smile* up a 4-0 lead to lose 6-9 to the Red Sox. What a stuff up. :hihi

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Mr Brightside said:
The Ice Hockey and Basketball always seem to be 90% home team crowd and though Hockey fans are generally aggressive types haven't see any trouble what so ever at either.

Funny thing at the Football the other night, there was a Bronco guy and a Jets guy ( similar at Giants game)about 6 seats from each other going at it all night, I said to my son at the time , how there different here they like to yptalk the talk but not so much walk the walk, I thought at the time if it was in Oz somebody would have belted somebody about an hour ago or they would have shut up an hour ago, football crowds are defiantly the most aggressive , saw a few things that would have turned to violence in Oz but they appear to just rather be loud at each other, probably a good thing.

Baseball crowds are a whole different type imo , lots of my mates like a day at the baseball, I'm not really a fan of the game or the crowds , nearly went to Yankees Stadium for one of there play off games but at $180 us a pop I gave it a miss

One things for sure all there sports really make it 3 or 4 hours of entertainment, even though I've good sfa idea of what's going on there all a bloody good time, except the baseball , but that's just me. It's a tough call between the football and the ice hockey , each event has been awesome and have loved every NBA game , actually of to see thunder v Clippers tonight then tomorrow will see LA Kings play at the Staples center at 1 pm then at 7 in the same venue see Lebrons first home game for the Lakers against Houston. Another thing is just about every event has free giveaways when you walk in the door, we've got T shirts, Bobble dobbles, Calenders, free pizzas, most teams all so have min auctions of players gear going cheap that goes to there charity's , picked up a Jordan signed Basketball cheap (deandre Jordan that is ) , National anthem is always sung by a superstar and they always show great admiration for a war vet , it all ads to the experience. Still always prefer to be going to watch the Tigers play and catch up with the lads for a beer , however I don't think we get anywhere near a days entertainment for the natural observer.

Do they switch from ice hockey to basketball in a few hours?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I went to one Baseball game in the 90s in Seattle. Got talking to a bloke in the ferry from Victoira to Seattle and he said he had a spare ticket and I could have it gratis ..thought he was being very generous (though it was appreciated) until I looked at the price in the ticket... $2.50 ... Was on the top deck of the old indoor stadium Kingdome baseball and football) since demolished and replaced by two outdoor stadiums. Crowd was very sparse in a 50000 seat stadium ...midweek night , bad team and with 80 home gamEs a year even the biggest fans would be hard pressed to stay interested.

The highlight of the night was Ken Giffey senior and junior playing in the same team....how's that for father son !

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
22nd Man said:
Do they switch from ice hockey to basketball in a few hours?
Yep , Madison square garden says it takes about 3 hours to cover the ice and move seating, not uncommon for them to have nba, nhl and concerts on 3 nights in a row

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
22nd Man said:
I went to one Baseball game in the 90s in Seattle. Got talking to a bloke in the ferry from Victoira to Seattle and he said he had a spare ticket and I could have it gratis ..thought he was being very generous (though it was appreciated) until I looked at the price in the ticket... $2.50 ... Was on the top deck of the old indoor stadium Kingdome baseball and football) since demolished and replaced by two outdoor stadiums. Crowd was very sparse in a 50000 seat stadium ...midweek night , bad team and with 80 home gamEs a year even the biggest fans would be hard pressed to stay interested.

The highlight of the night was Ken Giffey senior and junior playing in the same team....how's that for father son !
I find it slower then test cricket and it’s the one sport that doesn’t seem to have the extra entertainment

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Mr Brightside said:
I find it slower then test cricket and it’s the one sport that doesn’t seem to have the extra entertainment

I think it's like cricket...a lot of the action is subtle and opaque to the casual observer. Seems to be immensely tactical when it comes to pitching rotations. And like soccer no matter how dominant a team may seem it's not over till it's over... a streak of just two or three hits can swing a game.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
With the Tigers in AFL hibernation, at least I (we) can enjoy this form of YELLOW & BLACK during our summer. Go Steelers!!

DrhsfMsWoAAoo-y.jpg

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just saw this on the net with Griffo at the USC Trojans and Lennon at the Utah Utes for the 2019/20 NCAA Football season. Both teams meet on October 20 this year so hopefully ESPN shows the game.....even though they're just punters.

WTF is Lennon doing with his hair??

http://www.espn.com.au/american-football/story/_/id/24458373/college-football-afl-richmond-tigers-ben-griffiths-ben-lennon-transformation

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
TigerForce said:
Just saw this on the net with Griffo at the USC Trojans and Lennon at the Utah Utes for the 2019/20 NCAA Football season. Both teams meet on October 20 this year so hopefully ESPN shows the game.....even though they're just punters.

WTF is Lennon doing with his hair??

http://www.espn.com.au/american-football/story/_/id/24458373/college-football-afl-richmond-tigers-ben-griffiths-ben-lennon-transformation

Added vibrancy

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
New Orleans Saints just did a Richmond and fell at the last hurdle. Lost the chance for the Superbowl all because of these dumpire/referees....or whatever the *smile* they (think they) are!!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Brady is getting close to greatest ever clutch sportsman IMO. Just a freak.