Nike sponsorship. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nike sponsorship.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Maybe I could get some of the Nike sellers at the Patpong Market in Bangkok to knock up a few copies.

Sure to save money and the quality is just like the real thing too.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
gustiger12 said:
Maybe I could get some of the Nike sellers at the Patpong Market in Bangkok to knock up a few copies.

Sure to save money and the quality is just like the real thing too.

Go for it Gus.
I am working on some t-shirt designs too.
I'll send 'em 2 u when they are done.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We have a buy an item and get 40% off sale. Collingwood have a buy an item and get a bonus ecstacy tablet sale.

Gee Eddie's really pumped that story up on The Footy Show tonight hasn't he?

The nights still young I spose, surely he wouldn't report on turmoil at other clubs throughout the year and forget the big news at Collingwood.

Then again I bet if Brodie Holland played for any team other than Collingwood we might have heard a bit more about that one too.

sean pean

No. 6
Jul 12, 2003
Frankston
www.groovejett.com
Well hasn’t this topic got some traction then

With regard to the club misleading supporters, or at least leaving them in the dark… rosy I think it’s a little harsh.

If your having a 40% off sale then obviously they are clearing stock, ready for new stock next year, as any store would do. Weather its Nike or Puma or rfc brand does it really matter? It would be different gear anyhow. I suppose the only real disadvantage is that it would be a brand change yes. My point is that a 40% off sale is always about clearing stock to make way for new stock. There’s no hiding that.

Koalalill Well if any new gear is daggy or terrible then I would be the first to complain believe me! But none of the nike gear has done much for me for that matter and most of the profit goes to a multi national not your club.

Screw the sponsorship when we’re the ones buying their gear. As I said, we are the ones that are really paying.

You think nike are just giving rfc their money?

Particularly with regard to clothing. Im not about to go out and buy a Motorola phone, get any financial advice from prime or whatever but I am likely to buy a jumper or beanie or cap etc etc… It’s the most likely thing for a supporter to purchase!

Your example with the bulldogs jumper, yeah its 5 bucks dearer, but what is the return to the club?? Greater or less than when they had a clothing sponsor?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
sean pean said:
With regard to the club misleading supporters, or at least leaving them in the dark… rosy I think it’s a little harsh.

I wasn't stating fact, I don't know the facts. I was just commenting that if they are reducing stock because it will be redundant next season it wouldn't hurt to make people aware of it.

What was harsh about that?

sean pean

No. 6
Jul 12, 2003
Frankston
www.groovejett.com
i think a 40% sale makes it obvious that the stock is redundant.

just like a winter clearance at any clothing store

you wont see just jeans or whatever having a redundant end of season clothing sale. They will have a 40% off winter clearance instead

they mean the same thing. Just one has a positive spin.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I think there's a big difference. Noone expects the clothing they buy at a winter sale to be available in the shops next year.

If someone bought Nike gear from the club at a reduced rate I'd think it fair and reasonable they'd still expect the "tick" to be on the clubs apparel next year too unless told otherwise. Even if styles changed from year to year the identifying trade mark doesn't unless the company providing the apparel changes.

To me that means stuff all but I know brand recognition is a massive influence for others.

I don't understand why you think the public needn't be informed that Nike won't be sponsor next year.

The worse that could happen is people decide they'd rather buy current gear next year and the club would be left with usless items. Oh yeah, maybe there is a reason after all. ;D

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Rosy,
I really don't think people give a huge amount of weight to who made the gear. Nike RFC gear will not be redundant in the same way say a EPL kit becomes redundant, as our jumper is always the same. I couldn't give two hoots who made it, as long as it has a big Yellow sash on it. If however the Tigers gear is inferior next year, then I would be annoyed. I would say that Ian Campbell has already commissioned the new gear from Asia, and it would not surprise me in the least if it was EXACTLY the same as this year. Those factories just make the gear, per specifications, for whoever wants it. If its Nike, they include the logo. As long as they have the pattern, and the jumpers don't have any patented materials in them, then they could be easily replicated.
Nike- thanks, but not sorry to see you go.
Campbell was hired for this exact sort of reason, and I say give him the benefit of the doubt.

I look forward to the hundred weight cotton jumper with the sewn on numbers for next year. It will make me vintage job come back into vogue.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
I agree with all who say there is more to it than meets the eye.

I have read Ian Campbells resume and it includes dealings with Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. He also ran NBA franchise in Asia, therefore I assume he has seen how the big leagues do things.

Starter, which is the official NBA brand is standard among the league teams and all teams must wear their apparel. merchandise is different however. Teams are able to choose their manufacturer and therefore design their own clothing range.

I am giving Ian Campbell every bit of credit he deserves. He brings new ideas to this league, and we are lucky enough to have him. I hope people don't judge him because of the on-field performance. His job, will not be visible really until we see the finances.

Good Luck Ian, I trust you got where you got on an international stage because you do have credentials.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
hutstar said:
Rosy,
I really don't think people give a huge amount of weight to who made the gear.

I couldn't give two hoots who made it, as long as it has a big Yellow sash on it.

I have made it quite clear I couldn't give two hoots about anything I wear either, but the fact of the matter remains some people would. What is so wrong with giving them the option of knowing.

We were told months ago theat the NIke deal was re-signed.

If I didn't start this tread no many people here would have have known that wasn't true at all.

As I said I don't even know it they are told when they buy gear. I was just commenting that in my opinion they should be.

I don't understand why you guys make such a big thing of this. Noone has said why I am wrong thinking that. I'd like to know what you have against people buying the gear being made aware of the facts?

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Hi Guys, I am newish to PRE but have been reading for a long time. I know whats happening with the sponsorship and it's all good. The supplier of the merchandise next year are the same people who have done the Olympic merchandise, The Australian GP, Rugby World Cup and other major events. This will be more profitable for the Club than the Nike Deal. By the way our new jumper & short sponsor is Motrola (announced today) worth $1.3m and will put us in the top level with the other clubs

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Welcome MOLE,

great news re clothing brand then. Proves that Campbell does know what he's on about. Maybe some past posters should apologise to some others for having faith in the club for once.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
No you're right there hutstar.

What was I thinking?? :D

Imagine how boring this forum would be if we all agreed. LOL

I for one wouldn't come here. ;)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
BalmyArmy said:
No you're right there hutstar.

What was I thinking?? :D

Imagine how boring this forum would be if we all agreed. LOL

I for one wouldn't come here. ;)

I could agree with you on that BalmyArmy, but I don't think I will. ;D ;)