Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Kids with ‘potential’ who require the invention of new positions usually don’t make it.

Balta’s elite traits have nothing to do with the smart running criteria reserved for a winger.

I’d say his combination of desperation + speed (at his height) is his standout trait. Hence, Balta is simply a like-for-like Rance replacement for mine.

There’s no need to reinvent the wheel with a kid with such similarities to the greatest defender of all time.

Agree 100% but would he be a better option than Chol this finals campaign considering our lack of alternatives for that 3rd tall/ 2nd ruck atm?
Those advocating wing really don’t appreciate the elite endurance running traits that this position demands. I was also reading a recent article where a senior coach was describing how the wingman in the modern game is one of the most complex positions to play with its mix of inside and outside requirement and correct positioning in a multitude of situations.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Agree 100% but would he be a better option than Chol this finals campaign considering our lack of alternatives for that 3rd tall/ 2nd ruck atm?
Those advocating wing really don’t appreciate the elite endurance running traits that this position demands. I was also reading a recent article where a senior coach was describing how the wingman in the modern game is one of the most complex positions to play with its mix of inside and outside requirement and correct positioning in a multitude of situations.
Plus in our system they are required to become the 7th defender.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Hope he has a ripper against the Lions.
Will cover for Grimes possibly
And either Ross or Aarts come in as a late replacement when Grimes is omitted.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
He has an opportunity to write his own history now. He has the ability to add another 10% improvement to our overall performance if he attacks the contest

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Not as thrilled about this inclusion as some.
While Chol wasn't having a big impact statistically the team has been doing a lot right over the past 8 games.
There's been a good chemistry in particular among the talls.
Balta IMO is very raw currently & what I would describe as a freestyle footballer at this point. Early development stage much like Rance was.
Capable of eye catching brilliance & just as likely to do something foolish or lazy.
Developing as a key back in the VFL then thrust into the forward/ruck role at AFL level? It doesn't make sense to me anyway.
I hope I'm wrong but I reckon this is the wrong move on the verge of the finals to a settled team.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Kids with ‘potential’ who require the invention of new positions usually don’t make it.

Balta’s elite traits have nothing to do with the smart running criteria reserved for a winger.

I’d say his combination of desperation + speed (at his height) is his standout trait. Hence, Balta is simply a like-for-like Rance replacement for mine.

There’s no need to reinvent the wheel with a kid with such similarities to the greatest defender of all time.
I agree... but like Rance when he was young, he has bugger-all poise or decision making right now. He'll need to come along the way Rance did if he's going to be a KPD.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Not as thrilled about this inclusion as some.
While Chol wasn't having a big impact statistically the team has been doing a lot right over the past 8 games.
There's been a good chemistry in particular among the talls.
Balta IMO is very raw currently & what I would describe as a freestyle footballer at this point. Early development stage much like Rance was.
Capable of eye catching brilliance & just as likely to do something foolish or lazy.
Developing as a key back in the VFL then thrust into the forward/ruck role at AFL level? It doesn't make sense to me anyway.
I hope I'm wrong but I reckon this is the wrong move on the verge of the finals to a settled team.
I'm with you. I re-watched the game and Chol was actually involved a fair bit, mainly on the spoil. He was busy, at least for the first three quarters. I know he got well-beaten in the ruck, but he's not a ruckman. I agree with whoever mentioned the wing. He'll need to build some serious tank, but he's built for that spot.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
At AFL level I have seen Balta completely lost. Chol at least understand the structures & sticks to his task.

I can see Balta getting at least 12 disposals.
9 more than Chol.
Will be fun to watch him do his thing. There is no downside to his inclusion

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I can see Balta getting at least 12 disposals.
9 more than Chol.
Will be fun to watch him do his thing. There is no downside to his inclusion

Hope you're right.

Noah had 7 disposals in the last two AFL games before he was dropped. BTW we lost the last 3 games he played in too.
Alternatively Chol has been part of a team that's played in 8 wins straight. But yeah disposals.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Hope you're right.

Noah had 7 disposals in the last two AFL games before he was dropped. BTW we lost the last 3 games he played in too.
Alternatively Chol has been part of a team that's played in 8 wins straight. But yeah disposals.
I am with TOO.
Put stats aside Chol follows the team requirements and provides structure. Which is why we are so successful.
Balta has more upside but at this stage of his development is not trustworthy to fulfill our requirements.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
At AFL level I have seen Balta completely lost. Chol at least understand the structures & sticks to his task.

Did you see the Hickey goal last week where he marked in the forward line unopposed when Chol wandered 30 metres off his man for no real reason?

The match committee didn't miss it.

Balta has been lost at times. But Chol wasn't in the side for his focus and attention either.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Noah was awesome last week, and very good the previous two weeks. He's a better footballer than he was two months ago. That's how we do it.

Reactions: 2 users

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Hope he has a ripper against the Lions.
Will cover for Grimes possibly
And either Ross or Aarts come in as a late replacement when Grimes is omitted.
Grimes is the logical player for Cameron.
Neither Ross or Aarts have the speed.
Absent Grimes I think maybe a player like Edwards who demands attention himself, would be the best match to start.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Did you see the Hickey goal last week where he marked in the forward line unopposed when Chol wandered 30 metres off his man for no real reason?

The match committee didn't miss it.

Balta has been lost at times. But Chol wasn't in the side for his focus and attention either.
That’s a bit rough. Chol was leading Hickey to cover the goal square. That’s where you’d expect the dangerous ball. Unfortunately it sprayed off the side of the boot and fortuitously landed in Hickey’s arm.

But I do agree. It’s worth giving Balta a shot but I reckon Chol might still get a run on a dry track in the weeks to come. May the best athletic freak/2nd ruck win. Room for both?

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Grimes is the logical player for Cameron.
Neither Ross or Aarts have the speed.
Absent Grimes I think maybe a player like Edwards who demands attention himself, would be the best match to start.

That all makes sense, James
I wasn't actually thinking Aarts or Ross would tag Cameron. Agree, neither has the pace to keep up with the nippy forward.
More that the deck would be shuffled if Grimes doesn't play and in that process Ross would have a chance of returning, possibly covering Cotch off the bench.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
That’s a bit rough. Chol was leading Hickey to cover the goal square. That’s where you’d expect the dangerous ball. Unfortunately it sprayed off the side of the boot and fortuitously landed in Hickey’s arm.

But I do agree. It’s worth giving Balta a shot but I reckon Chol might still get a run on a dry track in the weeks to come. May the best athletic freak/2nd ruck win. Room for both?

Perhaps. But he was also too far away from the goal square to impact there either. Looked very lost. Hickey was the only dangerous option forward they had.

That was only the most obvious example, anyway, I just don't think going to the right places and concentration is his strong suit.

Either way, Chol has a chance to develop and attack 2020. I'd wager he's now behind CCJ, if we need to bring in another ruckman in 2019.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Noah was awesome last week, and very good the previous two weeks. He's a better footballer than he was two months ago.
Certainly hope he is. Was showing good form earlier in the season too before he lost his way.
My main concern is he's been developed as a backman at VFL level & played that role consistently for many weeks. Again though he comes in to replace Chol as a fwd/ruckman. There's mixed messages there IMO for a young player in development. I'm still not sure the MC knows what role he's best in. Just hope he doesn't get lost again.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Hope you're right.

im not sure Balta is to blame for the losses, especially considering the other outs at the time, likewise I am not sure Chol coming in has been the catalyst to our winning streak.

Certainly hope he is. Was showing good form earlier in the season too before he lost his way.
My main concern is he's been developed as a backman at VFL level & played that role consistently for many weeks. Again though he comes in to replace Chol as a fwd/ruckman. There's mixed messages there IMO for a young player in development. I'm still not sure the MC knows what role he's best in. Just hope he doesn't get lost again.
i think the move back was an admission that we are light for depth in tall backs, especially potential Grimes/Broad replacements as they may not be keen to play Garth and Astbury together.
Balta switching back to the fwd/ruck role has then probably been a response to Chol's struggles.

i dont think the switching of Balta this year is any indication of long-term thinking, rather about us having the best chance of winning the flag this year.