Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He's going to take time and experience simple as that.

He's played 13 games, players of his type need 40-60 before they get really comfortable at AFL level and start to produce their best consistently.

Judge him after two more seasons.
Yes, like last year I see us getting games into him in the first half of the year, probably out of best 22 come September unless he makes a quantum leap or we have injuries.

Problem is Rance got big time experience in the seniors because we were crap. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
We’re in a completely different position now and I’m afraid he’ll need a lot of those two years in the twos if he continues to look lost.
Hope he doesn’t get dispirited in the process.
Plenty to work with but will definitely take time.
I’ll get howled down for this but Garthwaite a better option in defence atm.

* N.B.
Dimma thought Garthwaite was one of our best defenders last Sunday
Actually quite similar so far. Neither played in his first year, Rance 15 games in his second year, Balta 13. Rance only played 10 in his third year because of the nasty concussion, so I expect Balta to edge ahead in comparative games played.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Balta showed again what he could be. Big kicking, long striding, jungle cat recovery.

He also showed his weaknesses. Poor positioning, getting pushed over, running under the ball.

He got badly beaten by Mason Cox a couple of times in the air. But I'm not sure this means much. Cox is exactly the type (and the only type) that could beat Rance at times. The ultra tall.

I'm not worried. Experience will mediate the weaknesses and allow him to better utilise the strengths. I think he will come really good.

I was more worried about Broad on the wing.

My first picked backline this year is Balta Grimes Astbury Houli Vlastuin Broad.

I have Caddy on one wing, with Shorty rotating through wing and backline.

Reactions: 2 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Just don’t see Noah as a back man
Has far too much speed flair ability to kick long and X factor for that
See him as our Kouta playing tall mid or wing/HF

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
News Flash - Young key back plays ordinary game in preseason.

Thought he was ok without anything brilliant.

Yes he got bumped off the ball a few times and out-marked a couple of other times.

He didn't star however he is still learning the caper.

He hasn't had a fixed position for a while so they should just settle him down and persevere

For his size he can be moved around a bit too easily. Then you look at Stack, even the big boys have trouble moving him in a contest.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
For his size he can be moved around a bit too easily. Then you look at Stack, even the big boys have trouble moving him in a contest.

When you're a young tall, you're actually going to find it harder to stay upright than a young midsize. Basic physics. Higher centre of gravity.

Last edited:

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Maybe were trying to develop him as a KPP back when could be a Kpp Forward ? Jacks understudy ?
I always thought Choi was better down back and what im hearing Balta might be better value down forward .. ?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe were trying to develop him as a KPP back when could be a Kpp Forward ? Jacks understudy ?
I always thought Choi was better down back and what im hearing Balta might be better value down forward .. ?

Interesting idea but not sure about Chol down back, then again, not sure about Balta down back either.

Give Balta some time there and let's see.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
At one point in the game Balta gets beaten and falls over. He quickly regained his feet and chased down his opponent. He has done this a few times and this will to correct a mistake and his speed to do so make me interested in his future as a top line footballer. You cannot instil that want in players. Now to see if that want translates to ability to improve so he doesn't lose balance in contests and he starts getting possession. Because if he gets that right his speed is going to be a weapon coming out of the backline.

Yep, and that tackle was incorrect disposal by cox but the ump wrongly judges in the back.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Persevere down back & see what happens. It didn’t happen overnight for Rance either. If key back doesn’t suit, he can go to a wing. Plenty of time yet.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yes, like last year I see us getting games into him in the first half of the year, probably out of best 22 come September unless he makes a quantum leap or we have injuries.
totally agree

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I’m not sure what his tank is like but his athleticism and penetrating kicking would be a weapon on the wing at the G.
agree his skill set could be a weapon, but with our gamestyle the wing is a highly structured position and field positioning is critical. Thats why we typically have played the mature experienced runners - Ellis, Caddy, KMac.

Lets develop him to become a weapon as the best key back CHB since since since Alex Rance!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Early Balta reminds me a lot of Tross. Both exciting exuberant flat out at the contest type footballers who don't seem to have a natural position or a structured way of playing. Tross also played a bit around wing and mid at 100 mph when he first started and when tried down back was often easily unbalanced or out positioned by forwards until such time as Leppa spent some time teaching him the finer points. I'm seeing almost identical traits in the way Balta is starting his career.

Possibly. Tross always looked too slow early to become a true midfielder and fairly quickly found his mark as a backman but no doubt was tried in other places early in his career as many players often do. But from his first game he was getting plenty of the ball. By year 3 he was pretty settled in the backline. In the last couple of years he's absolutely taken his game to another level. If Balta can achieve half of what Vlastuin has, he'll be a very solid player. Right now he still seems to be struggling for consistency. He's a different beast and could become anything but seems high risk/reward atm.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He'll get another opportunity next week you'd think but currently I don't have him in my round 1 team based purely on last week's effort.

I feel we will want to play a chop out ruck so Balta & Chol's performances last week really miffed me.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I feel we will want to play a chop out ruck so Balta & Chol's performances last week really miffed me.

Chol was soundly beaten by a 19yo Irishman in his 2nd year of footy this year. 6cm shorter than Chol. Chol was extremely disappointing. I know it's just 1 pre-season game but it just feels like a continuation of last year, capable of great things but seemingly too disinterested at times.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Chol was soundly beaten by a 19yo Irishman in his 2nd year of footy this year. 6cm shorter than Chol. Chol was extremely disappointing. I know it's just 1 pre-season game but it just feels like a continuation of last year, capable of great things but seemingly too disinterested at times.

Chol looked lost playing predominantly up forward. Looked more effective in the ruck role last season. CJ looks like he's coming along pretty well. That may see him leapfrog both Balta & Chol for the last spot.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Chol looked lost playing predominantly up forward. Looked more effective in the ruck role last season. CJ looks like he's coming along pretty well. That may see him leapfrog both Balta & Chol for the last spot.

Pitch hitter in the ruck or that second or third tall up forward.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting idea but not sure about Chol down back, then again, not sure about Balta down back either.

Give Balta some time there and let's see.

DS

Chol cant play as a KPD especially at AFL level.

Doesnt read the play well enough currently he doesnt have the desperation or intensity in his play either, nor does he have the required 2nd and 3rd efforts in his game.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Pitch hitter in the ruck or that second or third tall up forward.

Can't see us playing 3 talls up forward. Would have to displace Reiwoldt or Lynch and just can't see that happening this year. He is contracted to the end of 2021. CCJ has to be first choice for 2nd ruck at this stage.