Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Phil Matera. Aaron James. James Hird. Anthony Koutifides. Adam Goodes. Fraser Gehrig.

Players who didn't know if they were small or tall. (That, in itself, doesn't guarantee success.) All were late bloomers. Matera was tall. James was not as good. Hird was both. Kouta was small. Goodes was small. Gehrig was tall. Who could know?

One other I'd bring into the conversation for Balta - Paul Bulluss. He didn't watch football. (Unlike our own Bulluss.)

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I have a theory as to why we drafted 2 defenders last night (plus Tarrant). Dimma plans on using Noah Balta up the ground in 2022. Maybe even as a key forward.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
we lost Astbury & Houli off the list

Garth & Miller haven't come on

Biggie is a long term project

Grimmes could be only a year or two from retirement

Balta - could well be looked at as a swingman

Vals & Broad - medium defenders are in their later 20's and had a few injuries

good forward planning

we have smaller defence options seemingly covered
Short, Mansell, Dan Rioli , Baker , Stack , Edwards

you do tend to build around top flight tall defenders

Lions - Harris Andrews
WC - McGovern
Us - Rance/Astbury
Geelong - Scarlett
Dogs - Brian Lake
Hawks - Josh Gibson

so using pick7/9 on someone like Gibcus seems pretty sound

Reactions: 8 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
The key one here is Grimesy. He may be close to the end with his winery interests. Astute drafting I reckon.

Reactions: 3 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Miller looked the goods in his one game against the Dawks. Might not be the most athletic but he is the perfect Astbury replacement.
I'm a Miller fan. I think you're selling him short as an athlete. Weren't his speed and jump records pretty good - especially for a big fella?

Reactions: 7 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Yeah I was his leap and speed as a jnr were great, but Im a huge fan as well. He just got to the right places and was smart with his movement. Cant wait to see more of him.
To quote an often used slogan, 'It could be Miller time' next season especially if Tarrant gets injured. We also have a need to find Jack's replacement up forward in the near future and Miller has been trialled as a ruck and forward option. From our draft picks, we may be looking at long term Jack replacement from within our current team. Who knows

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I'm a bit worried about Balta this year. I reckon he has shown he is a very good KPD, and has potential to be great. But he is also our 3rd best KPF option, and probably our 3rd best ruck option, and our best 3rd tall forward/back up ruck. He may get moved around a bit, which may be for the best in the long term.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I too am a little worried how he'll go coming back from injury. Yes he's capable of the freakish & he's a super talent but Noah's great challenge now as a snr player is to deliver consistent performances both in games & week to week. As he's been told many times he just needs to do the simple things well.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Balta has, in my opinion, the potential to be one of the most dynamic bigger men in the competition.
Whether it be in defence or as a forward or even occasionally in the ruck, I see a player capable of really impacting and influencing games throughout his career.
Backlines or forward lines can be built around Balta.
But I'll always think that he will prove to be a great forward.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Noah said he had done boxing and bulked up and now had to lose some of it. That would explain my early training reports where i said he appeared to have come back heavy and then my latest report saying he is starting to hit his straps.

He also said he feels this year might be the year Biggie comes of age, (my last training report I said Biggie was looking more confident out there and would be interested in other people's views when they see him as i wanted some confirmation, (Noah's observations will do me ;) ). PS. I also said the Biggie had beaten Noah in 3 one on one contests and wondered whether Noah was taking it easy, maybe he wasn't :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Noah said he had done boxing and bulked up and now had to lose some of it. That would explain my early training reports where i said he appeared to have come back heavy and then my latest report saying he is starting to hit his straps.

Which explains exactly why you are in the role of PRE Training Correspondent Caesar.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

He also said he feels this year might be the year Biggie comes of age, (my last training report I said Biggie was looking more confident out there and would be interested in other people's views when they see him as i wanted some confirmation, (Noah's observations will do me ;) ). PS. I also said the Biggie had beaten Noah in 3 one on one contests and wondered whether Noah was taking it easy, maybe he wasn't :)

I think the hidden advantage of Biggie coming on (if he does) is that if he can step up and hopefully also with Gibcus coming through whilst Tarrant is on the list we can use Balta as a swingman and potentially a key forward. I have no doubt he can play forward, the only question is whether he is more value to us as a back.

Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It's a testament to Noah's character and our culture to see one young player sincerely pumping up another young player fighting for a similar role in the team.

We now think of this as the norm, but it's rare, and special.

Noah is already showing signs of wanting to make the players around him better, which makes him an important long-term leader for a club seeking rolling eras of success. Let's go!

Reactions: 11 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Wow, what an interview - how far has this kid come in a few short years. He's 22 but sounds so mature.

It's progression like this in our players maturity and outlook that reinforces that our club really has come of age - we truly are an elite club now.

Non Richmond people laughed at us for so long - quite justifiably. Then that turned to pity. With our recent premierships, the oppo hate has been returned...but I reckon that hate is going to be coupled with grudging respect over the coming years.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users