Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Miller & Young are pretty vanilla but they stay focused.
Gibcus is also coming. Biggie there too if required.
None of those 4 are good enough to play as a key position backman. Curnow, McKay, etc would have a field day, let alone the likes of Hawkins and Cameron.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Balta is a project player. Currently settled in defence. He's got a lot of work to do. He's a bit lost at the best of times. After he's settled in defence he'll probably get back to his best and then go beyond that.

Development has never been quick with him. If he misses football games he misses school. And he missed a lot of school last year.

If we can keep him sound at least he'll get his lessons.

Reactions: 4 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I thought he looked good in the praccy match.

Had one very quick contest on the far wing where he beat out two players through sheer speed and athleticism and got the ball 60 metres to advantage. Plus some good backline contests and kicking, and obviously the goal.

Still trails his opponent a little too often, and loses concentration. Obviously still does stupid big headed things. But he'll only get better there.

One thing I don't understand, is why he doesn't start our kick outs as a long down the line option. He could be a marking target who can then roost it another 60 metres, or preferably, hit the difficult diagonal. It seems wasted when he starts either as the kicker, or close to goal. Anyone kicking out can gain 60 meters, and when he's close to goal he seems to always just run past our guy with the ball into the wrong spot.

I'd love to see him on a wing one day.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
What was the name of that West Coast defender who would bob up kicking goals from 60m out? Noah could be that type of player if he can get his defending rock solid

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I thought he looked good in the praccy match.

Had one very quick contest on the far wing where he beat out two players through sheer speed and athleticism and got the ball 60 metres to advantage. Plus some good backline contests and kicking, and obviously the goal.

Still trails his opponent a little too often, and loses concentration. Obviously still does stupid big headed things. But he'll only get better there.

One thing I don't understand, is why he doesn't start our kick outs as a long down the line option. He could be a marking target who can then roost it another 60 metres, or preferably, hit the difficult diagonal. It seems wasted when he starts either as the kicker, or close to goal. Anyone kicking out can gain 60 meters, and when he's close to goal he seems to always just run past our guy with the ball into the wrong spot.

I'd love to see him on a wing one day.
I thought his kicking out was decent, by the time he ran his allotted 30mtrs he was kicking to the wing, over the hordes around the 50.

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Had him pegged as the next Tiger superstar, think I may have over rated him a bit.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I thought his kicking out was decent, by the time he ran his allotted 30mtrs he was kicking to the wing, over the hordes around the 50.
I reckon others like Short, Rioli and Baker could probably muster up 'decent' as well, from kick ins.

Besides, Balta often doesn't take kick ins, but seems to just run back and forth pointlessly along the goal face.

I reckon having Balta as the option down the line from the kick leaves players like Lynch to start deeper forward. And if he roosts it from a mark on the edge of our d50, it's an inside 50.

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
None of those 4 are good enough to play as a key position backman. Curnow, McKay, etc would have a field day, let alone the likes of Hawkins and Cameron.
Not sure who u talking about but I think Broad and Grimes rotating on a Curnow or Cameron would be ok and have proven to be in big games/Finals.

Yes agree either of those two playing playing deep (FB) on Hawkins or McKay would be a worry.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Not sure who u talking about but I think Broad and Grimes rotating on a Curnow or Cameron would be ok and have proven to be in big games/Finals.

Yes agree either of those two playing playing deep (FB) on Hawkins or McKay would be a worry.
We were talking about Miller, Young, Gibcus and Biggie

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more comentary on his performance. Again I thought he was pretty patchy.
Be interesting when Tarrant & Gibcus become available.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more comentary on his performance. Again I thought he was pretty patchy.
Be interesting when Tarrant & Gibcus become available.
Noah was "pretty patchy" to say the least ToO .. he looked lost ..

Go The Tiges!

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 14, 2009
I agree patchy but has big upside and has shown he can play defender well back on 2021 think last year was not good for his development shifting him away from backline

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Done some good n done some *smile* did Noah. Not surprising though, that big Harry bastard has a couple of years experience on Noah n was a top ten draft pick, is strong, quick, mobile n has plenty of premium talent. Just be grateful he kicks for goal as reliably as Shai.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
mckay will make many defenders look ordinary this year

Reactions: 4 users