Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
He can intercept with the best of them. I like what Spook said half way through the year, he moves a lot like Trent Croad. Even in style they play a similar game. Not to stretch it even further but I like him down back in a Micheal Hurley type role.

I mean for a bloke 194 to produce these testing results, 20m Sprint (secs) – 3.05 & Agility (secs) – 8.38 and have a expectational vertical leap, he is the perfect modern day key position option. Will all come down to how hard he wants to succeed, the physical tools are there.

List wise it was the absolute right pick. Stoked to get this lad.

He ran a 2.99 in early season testing, definitely has that explosive first three steps. Really interesting to hear his coach talk about his midfield prospects, it's something which I place a huge premium on when doing my rankings. Collected 31 touches playing ruck for the Cannons, with 17 being contested, I reckon making the transition isn't as far fetched as some may suggest.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
bullus_hit said:
He ran a 2.99 in early season testing, definitely has that explosive first three steps. Really interesting to hear his coach talk about his midfield prospects, it's something which I place a huge premium on when doing my rankings. Collected 31 touches playing ruck for the Cannons, with 17 being contested, I reckon making the transition isn't as far fetched as some may suggest.

Balta, Dusty, Cotch and Caddy playing mid resting forward, wouldn't need a permanent 2nd KPF with that lot.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
bullus_hit said:

The more I hear the more relaxed I feel about this pick - particularly for a mid 20s pick

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:

I think the chances of him being a true mid are pretty slim. If he can be that mobile ruck who can win over 15 touches, he is a rare commodity.

In 2017, only four players averaged over 16 touches and 6 hitouts a week. Brodie Grundy, Stef Martin, Cam Pederson & Mark Blicavs. If Balta can get around those numbers, he has rare value.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Balta seems like some rather astute drafting. As others have commented, it seems that for the immediate future the emphasis on tall players will be centred on their agility and their ability to play a range of positions, among other things like development, luck and so forth.

Ollie

Tiger Cub
Jul 23, 2016
bullus_hit said:
How soon do you think bully?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Ollie said:
How soon do you think bully?

He ran a 13.4 beep, that would be on par with Cripps when he was drafted. Cripps took one year in the ressies and then played as a full-time mid from year two. I probably think Balta needs to refine his game a bit but to be fair he's played in just about every position on the park this year. That isn't such a bad thing, I suppose it comes down to where the club sees an opening. Given Grigg has been our second ruck it wouldn't be unreasonable to see Balta take up that position. If given some continuity I'd say 2-3 years.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
He can give the ball a roost.

https://twitter.com/CalderCannonsFC/status/893956713761525761/video/1

Mikee

Will we ever get there?
Feb 21, 2003
Melbourne
tigerman said:
He can give the ball a roost.

https://twitter.com/CalderCannonsFC/status/893956713761525761/video/1

That goal was in his highlights package. He could be anything. He's quick, powerful, athletic, takes a beautiful mark, looks a decent kick, abit of Rance about him but maybe even more athleticism. Hopefully he has the work ethic and character to work hard, if he does he could be special.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Mikee said:
That goal was in his highlights package. He could be anything. He's quick, powerful, athletic, takes a beautiful mark, looks a decent kick, abit of Rance about him but maybe even more athleticism. Hopefully he has the work ethic and character to work hard, if he does he could be special.

Yes, i'm super excited by his potential, he could be anything.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
bullus_hit said:
He ran a 13.4 beep, that would be on par with Cripps when he was drafted. Cripps took one year in the ressies and then played as a full-time mid from year two. I probably think Balta needs to refine his game a bit but to be fair he's played in just about every position on the park this year. That isn't such a bad thing, I suppose it comes down to where the club sees an opening. Given Grigg has been our second ruck it wouldn't be unreasonable to see Balta take up that position. If given some continuity I'd say 2-3 years.

We should give all boys 2-3 years except Higgins who should only require a year at most if good enough, (has already trained to a very high standard and done extras.

Love his quote where he says most players will be shocked at the amount of work required at AFL level, "I WON'T BE ONE OF THEM"

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Sintiger said:
I heard that we don't know where he will play which is one reason why we liked him. Has the potential to be a true swingman as well as pinch hit ruck and those type of guys are where the game is going for big men .

I’ve aleays thought the same about Rance, that he’d be a hall of fame full forward if he’d been needed there. But he got to Richmond just after jack Riewoldt.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
bullus_hit said:
Natural forward, lucky to get him at 25, been stuffed around by clueless state coaches. With his athletic specs the sky's the limit.
Agree. I reckon their a bit of Reiwoldt about this guy. Very happy.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Mikee said:

Yeah I saw a lot of Rancey in him. Could easily play forward or back.