Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
evo said:
Lets be honest here. Neither of our stand-in rucks did well.

O'Brien is a rookie himself yet scored 181 supercoach. Thats higher than even Grundy or Gawns best games.

Yep it's one of the most one sided ruck drubbing I've seen in a long time.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
evo said:
Lets be honest here. Neither of our stand-in rucks did well.

O'Brien is a rookie himself yet scored 181 supercoach. Thats higher than even Grundy or Gawns best games.

Don't disagree with the first part, but O'Brien is not really a rookie ruck. 25, big body, served a long, classic apprenticeship in the 2s. Been beating all comers and keeping Jacobs out of the side. A premier ruckman of the comp ATM.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
tigersnake said:
Don't disagree with the first part, but O'Brien is not really a rookie ruck. 25, big body, served a long, classic apprenticeship in the 2s. Been beating all comers and keeping Jacobs out of the side. A premier ruckman of the comp ATM.
Yeah, Ive had him in Supercoach, he's been good lately. But he is by no means a premier ruck. He's only played 13 senior games. He got severely towelled up by Gawny only 2 weeks ago. Thats a rookie in anyones language.

The fact that Adelaide have been able to nututre him in the magoos for 5 years is indicative how much some clubs rate the importance of good ruck depth and how little we regard it.

Pundits have been asking for years "what happens to Richmond if Nank goes down?" - well now we are finding out.

A lot of pressure on CCj going forward, eh. Theres not a lot else.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
evo said:
Yeah, Ive had him in Supercoach, he's been good lately. But he is by no means a premier ruck. He's only played 13 senior games. He got severely towelled up by Gawny onlty 2 weeks ago. Thats a rookie in anyones language.

The fact that Adelaide have been able to nututre him in the magoos for 5 years is indicative how much some clubs rate the importance of good ruck depth and how little we regard it.

Pundits have been asking for years "what happens to Richmond if Nank goes down?" - well now we are finding out.

Yep, O’Brien is a rookie ruck with as you say 13 games. O’Brien was taken in the same draft and is the same age as Soldo (23). Soldo has 11 games.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
tigertim said:
Yep, O’Brien is a rookie ruck with as you say 13 games. O’Brien was taken in the same draft and is the same age as Soldo (23). Soldo has 11 games.
Soldos recovery from the virus was rather miraculous I thought. Maybe we should use the same doctor on Cotchy's hammy and Lamberts achilles.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
The sooner we settle Balta to a wing, the better he & we will be.

Only two things I want to see from him in next 12 months:
- get to as many contests as he can - possession rate will go up & he can then use his speed, strength & long kicking;
- become a one grab overhead mark when body pressure is on.

CCJ should play in ruck tandem with Nank. Forget Soldo & Chol & recruit two new rookie rucks to develop.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Tigers2011 said:

- get to as many contests as he can - possession rate will go up & he can then use his speed, strength & long kicking;

CCJ should play in ruck tandem with Nank. Forget Soldo & Chol & recruit two new rookie rucks to develop.
agree

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Tigers2011 said:

Makes sense - but was Chol that bad. Soldo lakes the mobility around the ground.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
year of the tiger said:
Makes sense - but was Chol that bad. Soldo lakes the mobility around the ground.
Was at the game in Adelaide on Thursday night & both Chol & Balta were completely ineffectual in ruck contests. The loss of clearances was the major factor in Adelaide winning. Double jeopardy in that they had bigger bodies in the contests too.

Created wave of ball into our defence which we couldn’t contain. We had them covered on spread & counter attacked well but long term for us to win another flag in this era of the 5 stars etc, we have to address ruck/clearances/contested ball.

Chol isn’t a ruck & drifts in and out of play. Athletically gifted & does a couple of nice things but doesn’t compete well enough for long enough. Can’t ever see that getting better. Balta on the other hand gives it everything but isn’t a ruck either. He’s gifted though & will be a star in a position that suits (eg wing).

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
year of the tiger said:

Well his opponent O'Brien had 19 disposals and 22 hitouts to advantage (Chol had 1). Count how many in effect disposals that comes to. Chol was totally flogged. Even Balta had 3 hitouts to advantage from 9. Soldo is a dinosaur but atm you'd have to have him over Chol. CCJ has been injured but played well in the ruck today in the VFL.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
tigerlove said:
Well his opponent O'Brien had 19 disposals and 22 hitouts to advantage (Chol had 1). Count how many in effect disposals that comes to. Chol was totally flogged. Even Balta had 3 hitouts to advantage from 9. Soldo is a dinosaur but atm you'd have to have him over Chol. CCJ has been injured but played well in the ruck today in the VFL.
Even with Soldo giving nothing around the ground? Hampson was pretty good at hitouts when fit.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
tigerlove said:

I hadn’t checked the stats but that’s pretty poor reading. I couldn’t believe the number of times our rucks didn’t compete at the centre bounce - could understand Giggs standing back last year given his size but not Balta or Chol.

Nankervis, where’s Nank, we miss him.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
evo said:
Yeah, Ive had him in Supercoach, he's been good lately. But he is by no means a premier ruck. He's only played 13 senior games. He got severely towelled up by Gawny only 2 weeks ago. Thats a rookie in anyones language.

we found out what happens when are 2 best ruckman are out. the week before Stanley was pretty ineffective, as was Ceglar Soldo's last game.
if The Crows 2nd ruck was out, they would have had a debutant, or Jenkins, as their ruck.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Am a huge Balta fan like many on here tho i have noticed in the ruck he constantly jumps too early, by the time he could touch the ball most times he's back on the ground....

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Jonesracing82 said:
Am a huge Balta fan like many on here tho i have noticed in the ruck he constantly jumps too early, by the time he could touch the ball most times he's back on the ground....

How many seasons can a 194cm player continue to compete and jump over 200+ cm monsters without destroying them?
The club don’t see him as a forward going forward according to Leppa at a recent briefing, he doesn’t seem capable and most supporters don’t want him as a defender, he’s too small as a ruckman and doesn’t yet have a tank for a follower and ( especially ) for a wingman which both require elite tanks let alone average ones.
He’s exciting but we are no closer to discovering where to play him.
One thing is certain. He should never again be compared to a young Richo. Not in the same league.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dont Argue said:
How many seasons can a 194cm player continue to compete and jump over 200+ cm monsters without destroying them?
The club don’t see him as a forward going forward according to Leppa at a recent briefing, he doesn’t seem capable and most supporters don’t want him as a defender, he’s too small as a ruckman and doesn’t yet have a tank for a follower and ( especially ) for a wingman which both require elite tanks let alone average ones.
He’s exciting but we are no closer to discovering where to play him.
One thing is certain. He should never again be compared to a young Richo. Not in the same league.

Good points, I agree, too short for a ruckman these days, even Nank is problematic at 200cm.

Sounds to me like we really need to sort out where he would be best suited and soon. He clearly has talent, needs to be trained for a particular position, leaving him to fill whatever role needs filling isn't doing the club or Balta any good.

DS

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
These sorts of athletes can be problematic. I remember a similar dilemma about Goodes early in his career, Blicavs too, and I'm sure a few others. Noah doesn't look comfortable as a key forward or back - he just likes to run with the pill and tee off. Power and meterage. Half back? Bachar's oversized understudy?

agincourt

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 4, 2004
Bit of the "forgotten man" is Balts....... :confused:

I just read he hurt himself in the VFL on the weekend.....but no details of the injury.

Anyone know more?