Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
McGovern is such a master at reading the play and the opposition forward thrusts so it will be very interesting to see if Hardwick does actually sacrifice one of our forwards to become a nullifier against McGovern. Cost/benefit analysis needed by the RFC coaches.

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Compared to McGv Balta reads the ball in the air as well as I read Farsi. Just dont bang it long and high NEAR Mcgv and we'll be fine. Spot up leads like buggery. Harass the *smile* out of their talls. And run run run.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Notorius is definately the new marlion pickett.

Get him in

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
We have a premiership to win. It's Big Boy time. Bring on the Baltic. End the farce.

Balta for Chol.
For his overall development and future career I see CHB.
For a 2019 Richmond Premiership, I see a 2nd ruck/3rd forward.
He’s put his hand up at the right time of year. Wildcard Balta must replace Chol this week as a dress rehearsal. He runs, he tackles and he marks. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Balta for Chol.
For his overall development and future career I see CHB.
For a 2019 Richmond Premiership, I see a 2nd ruck/3rd forward.
He’s put his hand up at the right time of year. Wildcard Balta must replace Chol this week as a dress rehearsal. He runs, he tackles and he marks. ✔ ✔ ✔
This is quite amusing. So no need for an apology or whatever else you were sooking for, I didn't need to say a thing, just let you finally come around to see the light.
Yes, Balta has to come in for Chol because he has so much more to offer than just a small cameo role - he can be a game-changer, capable of playing back, forward or mid/relief ruck.
Sure, the club, very astutely, have played him a lot in defence back at VFL because Garth firstly, then Balts second, are our back-up tall defenders if anything should happen to Grimesy or Astbury who are crucial for success in '19 finals. AIHSB, Balta may become the CHB when Rancey goes, but hopefully that won't be for some years yet.
Noah is a scarey opponent for any opposition - he's so big, powerful and fast. I see him as most dangerous as a follower because he can explode from a stoppage and kick a long ball into threatening positions, or barge through tackles, or jump on shoulders and take a hanger. Not to mention, compete vigorously in ruck duels with much taller opponents due to his leap, sheer size and fearless aggression. Even the dumps are scared of him and award soft frees against because he tackles fiercely.
Think Elliot Yeo or Adam Goodes ... just bigger, faster and more powerful. Carlton has their Cripps, Balts could turn into our 'Cryptonite.'

Anyway, Bont, good to see we're finally on the same page.
PS - even if at VFL level, just compare Balta's versatility to Chol's limitations e.g last match: 21 hitouts, 18 disposals, two goals. Both final matches at this level, he has played a bit of everywhere. He's a weapon, not just a stop-gap.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Notorius is definately the new marlion pickett.

Get him in
The rave expectations placed on Marlion, coming from WAFL to AFL upon a 3 month injury lay-off, were ridiculous. Ben-Cousins x 2.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
This is quite amusing. So no need for an apology or whatever else you were sooking for, I didn't need to say a thing, just let you finally come around to see the light.
Yes, Balta has to come in for Chol because he has so much more to offer than just a small cameo role - he can be a game-changer, capable of playing back, forward or mid/relief ruck.
Sure, the club, very astutely, have played him a lot in defence back at VFL because Garth firstly, then Balts second, are our back-up tall defenders if anything should happen to Grimesy or Astbury who are crucial for success in '19 finals. AIHSB, Balta may become the CHB when Rancey goes, but hopefully that won't be for some years yet.
Noah is a scarey opponent for any opposition - he's so big, powerful and fast. I see him as most dangerous as a follower because he can explode from a stoppage and kick a long ball into threatening positions, or barge through tackles, or jump on shoulders and take a hanger. Not to mention, compete vigorously in ruck duels with much taller opponents due to his leap, sheer size and fearless aggression. Even the dumps are scared of him and award soft frees against because he tackles fiercely.
Think Elliot Yeo or Adam Goodes ... just bigger, faster and more powerful. Carlton has their Cripps, Balts could turn into our 'Cryptonite.'

Anyway, Bont, good to see we're finally on the same page.
PS - even if at VFL level, just compare Balta's versatility to Chol's limitations e.g last match: 21 hitouts, 18 disposals, two goals. Both final matches at this level, he has played a bit of everywhere. He's a weapon, not just a stop-gap.

Unfortunately you won’t be getting an apology from me because you don’t deserve one.
You attacked me for my views that Balta is a long term KPD and that is still my stance. And guess what? The club feels the same way and has put their views in both print and interviews. Leppitsch and Hardwick have even told me to my face that they see him as a KPD so it is probably you #lolleon that owes me an apology but I won’t hold my breath.
I will say that what we both have in common is that we are both genuinely excited about what he potentially brings but there is legitimate concern that he needs to settle somewhere soon. Internally they definitely don’t see him as a KPF so it’s KPD or, if that fails or has failed, it’s on ball but there are question marks on his tank.
He needs to replace Chol right now because he offers more as a second ruck however CCJ will give Balta windburn next year coming past as the next ruck.

Last edited:

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I don't have doubts about his tank. He seems to get more involved the longer the VFL games go.

Follower for now, probably KPD long-term, but gee I'd love to see him set free on a wing.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I don't have doubts about his tank. He seems to get more involved the longer the VFL games go.

Follower for now, probably KPD long-term, but gee I'd love to see him set free on a wing.
That's another vote for a midfield role for Balts!
However, if he plays it will be for Chol, so he must take his turns in the ruck rotations. You cannot expect him realistically to play wing as well ... probably. Doubt his tank couldn't stretch that far at this stage.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
If they are planning to play Grimes on Cameron, then we may need another tall defender this week. McStay, Hipwood and McInerney will present their own challenge and Dave can't take them all out.

If Grimes can't play, Hardwick is going to have to get very creative.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Balta should come into the team along with Cotchin and I would have both playing most of their time off the wings.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I'm on this bandwagon. With confidence he would kill it on the wing, similar to what Blicavs used to do before becoming a bonafide backman. Balta has massive upside. We've seen glimpses of what he can do.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Ideally, I want Balta to be an additional tall, not a replacement for an existing tall. More marking power between the arcs will boost our competitiveness immeasurably. However, if Balta is destined to become a KPD, maybe Chol and Moore could end up as two awesome wingers – the game is heading in this direction.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Kids with ‘potential’ who require the invention of new positions usually don’t make it.

Balta’s elite traits have nothing to do with the smart running criteria reserved for a winger.

I’d say his combination of desperation + speed (at his height) is his standout trait. Hence, Balta is simply a like-for-like Rance replacement for mine.

There’s no need to reinvent the wheel with a kid with such similarities to the greatest defender of all time.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Kids with ‘potential’ who require the invention of new positions usually don’t make it.

Balta’s elite traits have nothing to do with the smart running criteria reserved for a winger.

I’d say his combination of desperation + speed (at his height) is his standout trait. Hence, Balta is simply a like-for-like Rance replacement for mine.

There’s no need to reinvent the wheel with a kid with such similarities to the greatest defender of all time.
Agree completely. He plays his best footy behind the ball.