Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Not much in stats but there was a sublime handball that gave Rioli his goal.

Nank hopefully can come back, otherwise he's line ball with Chol for impact but he'll be better for the run and at least jumps at it.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not much in stats but there was a sublime handball that gave Rioli his goal.

Nank hopefully can come back, otherwise he's line ball with Chol for impact but he'll be better for the run and at least jumps at it.

Just watched that back on the replay, at the ground I thought it was Edwards the handball was that good, only just realised it was Balta. Was outstanding but not sure we can carry him in finals. Will be interesting which way the MC go, Soldo will be 1st ruck but who will go with him, Balta, Chol or Nank.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Whether he or Chol play makes no difference as to whether we win or lose. I would bring in Nank to play the second ruck role which my make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
why not the other tall young fella in the reserves who can play forward or ruck - might be better than both Chol and Balta

B

Bill James

Maybe but don't think the next three weeks are time. Very hard for anyone let alone 2nd ruck to impress,1 week after 10 out but I would have to take (a fit) Nank over Balta. Nank has the finals record.
MC wants a ruck def then it’s Balta, if it wants a ruck fwd then it’s Chol. Soldo plays in font of Nank the small gain is not worth the large risk.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Soldo 29 hitouts 8 to advantage to Martin 27 and 6. Balta 10 hitouts and 1 to advantage. McInerney14 and 4. We were always going to be hammered by the 2nd ruck as McInerney s a very capable ruckman. I prefer Balta to Chol at this stage but if Nanks can prove his fitness I'm now sold on Soldo/Nanks combination. Chol and Balta received around 50% game time and I just think Nanks 50% game time would give us a lot more.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Whatever happens for both Cholly n Balta for the finals, we've got some massive game time n learning curve into both these young fellas. Hope they both go to the break n pre season with a strong n clear focus on what they need to bring to become regular players for future seasons. There's places going to become available for them over the next couple of years.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'd play Balta ahead of Chol.
Balta had 3 clearances, Chol didn't have any in his last 3 games. Balta thumping the ball forward with a 60 metre kick from a clearance is worth gold.
Balta had a total of 3 rebound and inside 50's, Chol could only manage that many in 3 games.
If Nank can prove his fitness to the medical staff, he and Soldo to share the ruck duties.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I'd play Balta ahead of Chol.
Balta had 3 clearances, Chol didn't have any in his last 3 games. Balta thumping the ball forward with a 60 metre kick from a clearance is worth gold.
Balta had a total of 3 rebound and inside 50's, Chol could only manage that many in 3 games.
If Nank can prove his fitness to the medical staff, he and Soldo to share the ruck duties.
Have to agree. Noah really competed well in the contests; he's more physical and aggressive than Cholly. Got better as the game went on, last was his best Q but you have to allow a bit for his first game back after so many weeks out. Struggled to adjust to the speed and rushed his kicking. But nearly held a couple of big grabs and didn't allow Martin to dominate him. McInerney was just too tall for him.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
So who recons it’s time to settle Noah in the backline? I believe its the prudent thing to do. I’ve been agonising over our tall defenders for the last few months. Unless Miller and Garthwaite step up in a big way Balta is the logical first option for an extra or replacement tall down back.

Reactions: 3 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
If it’s certain that Rance ain’t coming back then yes, straight to the backline.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
If it’s certain that Rance ain’t coming back then yes, straight to the backline.
Rance wasn't built in a day and neither will Balta be. Move him to the backline now. Tragedy would be if these amazing athletic gifts didn't turn into an AFL standard player.

Reactions: 4 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Rance wasn't built in a day and neither will Balta be. Move him to the backline now. Tragedy would be if these amazing athletic gifts didn't turn into an AFL standard player.

True
He’s a medium to long term project that’s worth trying at this stage and the backline has suddenly opened up as an opportunity.
Happy to see how it goes

Reactions: 2 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I hope we stick with the ethos we’ve had since 2016 - play players to their strengths. I’d hate to see us try to turn him into something he’s not.

Having said that, what are his strengths, apart from his freakish athleticism?

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I hope we stick with the ethos we’ve had since 2016 - play players to their strengths. I’d hate to see us try to turn him into something he’s not.

Having said that, what are his strengths, apart from his freakish athleticism?

He has a - dare I say it - Rance-like feverish attack on the ball too. He didn't get onto an AFL senior playing list on athleticism alone. If he is playing at this level he has most of the tools. Should just be a refining in the style you mentioned hopefully.