Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
With Baltas injury not as bad it makes our reset for next year on track.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
That's because the manual test we use, called a Lachman test, runs at better than 9/10 in accuracy measures. If there is a false positive it is usually because of scar tissue from a previous injury which isn't the case here either.
They haven’t actually announced the results of the scans yet so hoping there’s no structural knee damage. Do they need the swelling to subside to get a clearer picture?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
What a relief if not an ACL. Fingers crossed the scans bear that out. Possibly Noah will recuperate fast, with youth on his side and a very muscly body.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Awesome work boys.
Very informative and, most importantly, free medical advice!!!
I usually just go with the Bex n a good lie down. All this cutting people up n putting screws n bolts in just all sounds rather nasty n over complicated to me.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
They haven’t actually announced the results of the scans yet so hoping there’s no structural knee damage. Do they need the swelling to subside to get a clearer picture?
Noah was walking in just a moon boot for his ankle yesterday, no support or even strapping on his knee so I'd doubt there's too much of an issue there.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
2021 is still alive EZY!

Just as tigers seem out of gas and luck, after 4 years at the top,

im all outta optimism Carts.

im conceeding 2021,

but reckon this outfit will get a 4th flag

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Just as tigers seem out of gas and luck, after 4 years at the top,

im all outta optimism Carts.

im conceeding 2021,

but reckon this outfit will get a 4th flag
The important lesson Is not to lose our heads at the trade table and do a hawthorn , invest wisely and it will keep us in the frame contending and be well placed to gain that edge with a FA as they avail, GC has several we d be keeping tabs on

Reactions: 4 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It was a classic syndesmosis action so it would be good news if he has gotten away with it, although a bad one will still likely end this season.

Quite unusual to diagnose an ACL incorrectly though, as it is generally a very straight forward test. He grabbed his knee in the action so there is likely something amiss in there as well. Will be interesting to see what a scan says.
I picked it, re ACL by the incident action but posters and Herald Sun convinced me otherwise. When I saw it live TV I thought it was the other knee as leg was bent right back and ankle was sideways.

Good news in the end but still season over.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
That's because the manual test we use, called a Lachman test, runs at better than 9/10 in accuracy measures. If there is a false positive it is usually because of scar tissue from a previous injury which isn't the case here either.
Sack the doctor I say. Like me he/she must have been sitting in the back row day-dreaming about other things when he/she went to school.

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, at the time I thought it wasn't knee as he was walking off the ground. But damned hard to tell, an almost complete lack of medical training doesn't help, but most players I've seen who have done an ACL/PCL or the like tend to need a lot of help leaving the ground.

DS

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
One unusual coincidence/parallel is the similarity to Rance doing his knee and Balta doing his ankle. My recollections are that Rance had a really poor 2018 prelim and was consistently below average and fumbling in the 2019 Rd 1 game against Carlton. Indeed in the incident where he did his ACL, Rance dropped a reasonably straight forward overhead mark and did his knee twisting back to pick up the ball. Rance goes out and team copes for the rest of 2019. Balta eventually comes in - acknowledged more so in 2020 as a defender to re-constitute the tall and strong key defender we still needed.

Onto 2021. Balta hasn't been consistently good this year, had a poor game a few weeks ago against West Coast and was very poor on Friday - fumbled all night including the incident where he hurt his ankle - a clean possession and he wouldn't have been injured. However now that he's out, Miller will most likely come in to once again give us the tall and strong key defender we need. Miller is not anywhere near the class of Balta, let alone Rance but at least we'll see what he's got - hoping that he can remotely be a possible long term replacement for Astbury as much as anything.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Miller will most likely come in to once again give us the tall and strong key defender we need. Miller is not anywhere near the class of Balta, let alone Rance but at least we'll see what he's got - hoping that he can remotely be a possible long term replacement for Astbury as much as anything.
I'm hoping Miller and Biggie make it so we can play Balta forward once Jack retires.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Yeah...I remember about 3 years ago Christian Welsh for the Storm being told he had done his ACL for the 3rd time and how devastated he was, only to find out a day later it was just scar tissue and only missed a week !

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Reckon this could be a blessing in disguis. He wasn’t playing great and now we get to see Miller who will some confidence knowing being dropped after one game is unlikely given the injuries to Astbury, Balta and Broad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users