Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
I've been very consistent in my take on this bloke. From the first intra club to 2021 I have been convinced that Noah Balta is a small.

Noah Balta is a ground player. Ground acquisition. Blistering disposal in traffic. Ground skills. Risk taker.

You might wonder why we don't see that. It's because we're playing him at full back.

Noah Balta is not a natural aerialist. Has not shown this ever in my years of viewing him. He can take a catch but he's a two-footer. Not a leaper.

Has anybody else noticed how much better DTL looks in the role (last week) than the enigmatic but mercurial Noah Balta?

I think Noah is a tall point guard. Must not board. It's hard for tall point guards. Smaller ones get under them and around them.

In Australian Rules Football we get three point guards if we want them.

Noah will probably not come on quickly. He has had a shocking football education. (Or didn't pay attention. Who did?)

I believe we should rebreak Noah as a change mid. Part time point guard. And as a #3 forward (Not for the boards. Not a marking target.) A running player who gets high and shoots from outside. (Shooting guard.)

Noah Balta is a small. Always was. Let's play him small.

(Keep him off the paint. He's a guard.)

BTW does he actually have a basketball background?
You lost me when you said how DTLD looked much better than Balta down back. I think Balta is best used as a swingman forward, back and ruck. Dave unfortunately is cooked and close to a perennial liability at this time!

Reactions: 1 user

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
I've been very consistent in my take on this bloke. From the first intra club to 2021 I have been convinced that Noah Balta is a small.

Noah Balta is a ground player. Ground acquisition. Blistering disposal in traffic. Ground skills. Risk taker.

You might wonder why we don't see that. It's because we're playing him at full back.

Noah Balta is not a natural aerialist. Has not shown this ever in my years of viewing him. He can take a catch but he's a two-footer. Not a leaper.

Has anybody else noticed how much better DTL looks in the role (last week) than the enigmatic but mercurial Noah Balta?

I think Noah is a tall point guard. Must not board. It's hard for tall point guards. Smaller ones get under them and around them.

In Australian Rules Football we get three point guards if we want them.

Noah will probably not come on quickly. He has had a shocking football education. (Or didn't pay attention. Who did?)

I believe we should rebreak Noah as a change mid. Part time point guard. And as a #3 forward (Not for the boards. Not a marking target.) A running player who gets high and shoots from outside. (Shooting guard.)

Noah Balta is a small. Always was. Let's play him small.

(Keep him off the paint. He's a guard.)

BTW does he actually have a basketball background?
I do enjoy ur posts dyr but.
"not a natural aerialist"
.hard pressed to think of a better judge of the ball in flight...obviously compromised of late with reduced midfield pressure & inferior tall backup...covering for others is confusing
"will probably not come on"
.he's already there...most valuable player on our list now
-certainly debatable where best played tho.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah I remember Balta dominating in the air finals time last year.

Seems to play pretty tall to me, although he has other attributes as well.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Along with Tom and Jack, best contested mark in the side. He's usually good on the ground which is why that fumbling which led to his awful injury really bothered me. But he is no small.
I posted a long time ago that he is a naturally attacking player. However, once we lost Rance prematurely, there was no other option but to play him in defence. But he needs to be played across HB not FB in order to use his aggression and attack on the ball; his ability to intercept and rebound. It allows him to use his pace and athleticism more. But a) as our best KPD now he has had to take the opposition gorillas like Shove or JK and b) Opposing sides are happy to drag him back deep away from HB too, knowing his flair for attack.

The only question marks are whether his eyesight issues are a problem, particularly in night games, and how our defence has been hoisted on his broad shoulders so early due to Rance going and Astbury's injuries 2020-21. Vlastuin missing games too, plus Grimes may be not in great form some games too, has added to the huge burden on Noah.

People easily forget he is only 21.

Anyway, good to see he is having a bit of fun with his injury lay-off and scored a gig to try and pick up a girl on Farmer Wants a Wife. :D

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I do wonder at times about his eyesight, must be hard playing with contact lenses.

We need a nice big full back so we can play Balta at half back.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Right. Here we are. Jack brought it up a while back: rescue Noah from fullback. It's why I want us to get another key back to partner Tarrant, but we could put some faith in Miller, I spose.

More talent in the forward line needed. More threats. Balta and Stack forward, with cameos on-ball.

• Wow
  • Love

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
This is a really interesting idea, DS. Do any of our poster play with contacts? Before and after thoughts?
Contacts were brilliant. Meant I could see who was kicking it and react quicker.
Normally a kick away was blurry for me, I could see it was someone but who?
I didnt use them for training and so would pick out each player by their running gait and movement. The twilight and low light areas on the ground were killers.

Obvs depends on the orbs and whether your short-sighted or long.

I've read that it's far less effective in night matches

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Right. Here we are. Jack brought it up a while back: rescue Noah from fullback. It's why I want us to get another key back to partner Tarrant, but we could put some faith in Miller, I spose.

More talent in the forward line needed. More threats. Balta and Stack forward, with cameos on-ball.
We can structure with Taz and Grimes deep, allowing Noah to play higher and Flossy to float.
Miller to study the deep spoiler role

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I’m not sure Noah has the footy IQ to play forward. I’d be telling him to lap up whatever Tarrant and Talia (?) can offer in the next year or two.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

I like the small fwd idea. He's quick enough to apply ground pressure and he'll be a nightmare to match up on. Tarrant and Miller to play the key defensive talls with Grimes the loose sweeper.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Not sure Biggie will make it at all but that might be because he was carrying that latest injury last time I watched him - that Port Melb game I think. But you've forgotten about Miller.

Probably because he is the ... forgotten man.
Biggie was having a good game before half time injury in his last game, kid has some talent and hopefully we continue on with him.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We can structure with Taz and Grimes deep, allowing Noah to play higher and Flossy to float.
Miller to study the deep spoiler role
We don't want Dylan playin' tall no more, dell. Miller might have to learn on the job. He'll have plenty of cover.

I’m not sure Noah has the footy IQ to play forward. I’d be telling him to lap up whatever Tarrant and Talia (?) can offer in the next year or two.
Have a look at his junior footage, or his foray forward in the prelim against Poor Flopelaide. Unstoppable on the lead. And who better to teach him than Jack and Tom?

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
We don't want Dylan playin' tall no more, dell. Miller might have to learn on the job. He'll have plenty of cover.

Have a look at his junior footage, or his foray forward in the prelim against Poor Flopelaide. Unstoppable on the lead.

I can't confess to have seen his junior footage, but he was there for 5 minutes against Port. Being there full time is a different story.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Who dares wins, SKev. You don't drink Grange out of a gumboot.

Very true. But I'm not sure you rob Peter to pay Paul either. I must say I would like his size and athleticism around the ball more. Whether he wins more of it or plays further up the ground who knows.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Talk of moving Balta from defense is lunacy

He is tracking ahead of Rance for his age

Reactions: 3 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Talk of moving Balta from defense is lunacy

He is tracking ahead of Rance for his age
With CCJ & Chol gone and Jack and Tom on their last legs it's inevitable at some stage Balta will be moved forward out of necessity. As much as I agree Balta is best suited in defence, especially at this stage in his career. Tarrant playing should give the flexibility for Balta to swing forward when needed, also dependent upon matchups