Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Yes, he played very well. Some questions...
Why do we not have a player near the opposition goal line to stop the soccer goal, when there is a stoppage close to goal?
Is it a coaching decision to not cover it?
Is it Grimes's job?
Who takes over if he's off the ground? Noah?
I believe we used to have Rance and Astbury doing that defensive role. Who has done it since then?

Reactions: 1 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Why do we not have a player near the opposition goal line to stop the soccer goal, when there is a stoppage close to goal?
Is it Grimes's job?
I believe we used to have Rance and Astbury doing that defensive role. Who has done it since then?
Snowy on the tram.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Is it Grimes's job?

I wonder that too, but also notice a few other teams the same. Maybe something to do with numbers at the contest, but from a stoppage right near goal I reckon someone on the goal line is good insurance.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Another brilliant performance from Noah. Not really surprised at his improvement this season. Rutten is back.

Reactions: 4 users

azzatiger

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2021
His last month has been fantastic.

5th in the comp for intercept possessions and contested marks

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Talk of offloading him has always been senseless.
But will he be part of our 2035 premiership tilt?

He should be in AA calculations, but because of our ladder position he isnt.
He hasnt been beaten by his opponent all year, and he is one of the best interceptors in the league. What is there not to like?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I'm also getting mid career Rance deja vue. Takes risks often. Like Rance, I'm fine if they they don't come off every time. Powerhouse when he takes off with the ball.

Reactions: 10 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm also getting mid career Rance deja vue. Takes risks often. Like Rance, I'm fine if they they don't come off every time. Powerhouse when he takes off with the ball.

He's such a weapon coming out of defence, can easily break open a team defence and kick over the top of them. When he arches his back and bursts past their forwards and kicks long, he is a massive weapon.

Reactions: 3 users

Big Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jul 15, 2013
Looks like we've finally implemented the "Balta rule", that should have been implemented 3 years ago. Run 10 mts and kick it 60 mts down the line. His best game for the season.

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Looks like we've finally implemented the "Balta rule", that should have been implemented 3 years ago. Run 10 mts and kick it 60 mts down the line. His best game for the season.
Yep.

It is when he gets cute he makes mistakes. He should be banned from kicking less than 35 metres

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Pure armchair footy lover here, so feel free to point and laugh. But I'd love to see them work out a play that let's Balta push up to provide a marking option for that 2nd/3rd kick out of defence. He is now just about the best intercept mark in the league and has real strength in contested marks. I'm just so sick of dump kick down the line to an outnumber in the vain hope of halving the contest. So many turnovers start there. I get that he'd be structuring up during the kick in so probably couldn't get up the ground enough, but if there were some way to create the room/time for this. Maybe a set piece where Young switches it to Broad to give Noah time to clear out to the wing? Thoughts? Be brutal, I can take it.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The Balta forward cry is frankly silly. He is a simple player. He prefers the ball coming at him where he can utlilise his athleticism. The key forward role is the hardest in the AFL. It requires athleticism and smarts. Huge smarts. They cannot really be taught. Where to position yourself when the ball is in the middle, on the wing, in their forward line, where to stand, when to lead, when to double back, when to utilise a block, when to be a decoy. It goes on and on and on. That is not Balta's go. He is a gun key defender. Every premiership contender needs a gun key defender. We have one. Who is the next one? Gibcus could be but in many ways he is more likely to make it as a key forward than Balta.

Don't confuse Noah. Let him develop into a powerhouse lynchpin of our next premiership defence. (unless of course we can transplant Jack's brain into Balta)

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, I reckon Balta and Gibcus (if he ever gets back….) are our best bets at having 2 very good key backs for the next 7 or 8 seasons with probably Tylar Young as the third spoke.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
The first time I saw Balta was CHB back for the VFL. He was unbelievable that day, a lot like he played this week. I just reckon he is entirely suited to CHB and should never play anywhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006

I went back to this thread after his first game in the VFL. Click on this link above. Talk about deja vu. All the Rance comparisions, CHB versus CHF etc

Last edited: